San Bernardino Peak Trail via Angelus Oaks

San Bernardino Peak Trail via Angelus Oaks is a 15.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Angelus Oaks, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 15.8 miles Elevation Gain: 4,691 feet Route Type: Out & Back

One of the best-kept secrets of Southern California is San Bernardino Mountain. Just five miles away from the highest peak in SoCal - San Gorgonio - San Bernardino tops out at a respectable 10,649 feet. Hiking from Angelus Oaks, this 15-mile out-and-back trail climbs over 4,700 vertical feet. It makes for a very long day hike or a great weekend backpacking trip. This trail has amazing views that begin very early in the hike. San Bernardino Peak is one of the lesser known (and lesser traveled) peaks in SoCal, providing a nice break from the more crowded trails like Mount San Antonio. There are three distinct sections to this trail. The first section climbs steadily up well-engineered switchbacks through oak and pine forest. You gain a lot of elevation quickly, but the trail is smooth and not too steep. The second section gently climbs through manzanita, with beautiful views to the north towards Big Bear. The trail beings to climb up the final slope as you near Limber Pines. There is a small seasonal creek that you'll cross about 1/2 mile before Limber Pines. Limber Pines is where the weekend backpackers often setup camp, and it makes a great place for a break before your final climb. The third and final section follows switchbacks up the steep slope to Washington's Monument, then parallels the ridge to the top of San Bernardino Peak. You’ll need an Adventure Pass for this trail; however, permits are no longer required for day hikes (but recommended) www.sgwa.org.

Great trail! I recommend wearing light weight long pants as there are many areas where the bushes and brambles reach into the trail. I will do this trail again!

One off my favorite trails! Such beautiful views. We were fortunate to hike on a clear day. Bring plenty of water. We started at 6:30 and finished at 3:00.

Great hike! We did it as an overnight on Sunday night, camped at Limber Pine Bench. Plenty of clear, cold water at the creek! Beautiful views from the campsite- really neat to see the whole valley like that! It was windy and cold! at the campsite so come prepared! Sunday night we had the whole campsite to ourselves until 9pm when one other group showed up. I thought doing it overnight made the hike relatively easy, not a grind like I’m sure it would have been as a day hike. We finally hit the trail at 1230 Sunday (it was a little hot, but fine once we’d gotten up a bit higher) and got to camp around 4pm. Easy summit in the morning with beautiful weather and down to the car at 130! Only saw a handful of people the whole time, so if you’re able definitely recommend doing it during the week. :) We did Baldy a couple weeks ago and this hike was easier- at least when split up in to two days it is!

Lovely trail and well maintained. there were several people hiking on the Sunday we went, but not too crowded. It was low to mid 70s when we went but i still drank about 6 Liters of water. Its steep, but not terrible and no problems w bugs or anything else. there were some stinky stinky plants, but very beautiful trail and amazing views all around.

Great hike! Trail is in excellent condition but it is long. I did an overnight, camping at Limber Pines. We left at 4pm and had to hike the final 1.5 miles to camp in the dark. We setup camp and hit the summit the next morning. Brought two liters of water then filled up another 2 at Limber Pines Spring using a filter. Water was flowing great. I got a blister on the way down which made it rough, so make sure your boots are worn in. This is the longest distance I’ve done in mine (over 16 mi.) and they did not pass the test.. Overall it was an awesome but very challenging hike.

Beautiful, strenuous, moderately technical trail.

Beautiful Hike. Trail is in excellent condition. Very little bugs. Single track area with lots of close brush; suggest pants. There was water at 6 mi on 8/6. Drank about 2.5L of water (in 5.5 hrs; brought 4L) but it happened to be a chilly day on the mountain with rain. So def suggest bringing 3-4L I drove a toyota Matrix to trailhead. Also saw a Prius C. Although I was pretty nervous driving back out of there. Def some big ruts and rocky portions on the drive to the trailhead.

nice trail, just really long! the bench has probably the best view of the Southland

Great hike for sure will do again.

Great hike with expansive views. We stayed overnight at Limber Pine Campground. It was hot in the day and mild at night, probably in the lower 50s. Unfortunately, there was a lot of trash on the trail. I didn't expect that in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. It was still an amazing hike though. As for water, Limber Pine Springs was flowing but Manzanita Springs was dry. I didn't go all of the way to Columbine Spring, so I'm not sure what the water status is there.

Lots of sun exposure

The hike is a challenge, but so worth the effort. It's a beautiful hike. You'll be gifted great views almost throughout the hike (Mt. Baldy; San G, San Jacinto, Saddle Back, and eventually Big Bear Lake). The hike itself is a steady incline - consistent but not as intense as Baldy or San G, for example.

My 5th peak of 6. Really enjoyed this one way more than Cucamonga & Wilson, but not more than Baldy or San Jacinto. The drive to the trail head is a little rough so take your time if you don't have a 4 x 4 or all wheel drive vehicle. My friend made it fine in her mini cooper. I recommend starting early; pack plenty of water and snacks. The top was super packed and very hard to get good photos with the sign without a bunch of people standing around.

Started at 7:30 AM and finished in 8 hours. Amazing views from the very beginning. The weather was in high 80's, but most of trail is shaded fortunately. Bring lots of water on this hike! I had 60oz which was barely enough. The trail is very well marked and not crowded. The views are gorgeous from the very beginning.

Awesome.

I love this hike, it is my third time attempting to summit and I finally completed it 07/05/19. I hadn’t really trained much before the hike, so it was a slow up and down. It took us about 4.5 hours up with a short break on the top, then about 4 hours down for about 8.5 hours total. I had 4 liters of water and for me and it was just enough, I actually wish I had brought a little more just in case. But, there were two springs you could fill up if you had a filter on the way. The hike’s views are spectacular and for me that was worth all the pain. The hike is pretty clearly marked and not too strenuous in grade, but it is rather long up and back. We calculated it 8 miles out and back a little longer than what is listed here.

Fantastic views throughout the way up, Baldy, San Jacinto, and down in the basin, and then big bear lake and San Gorgonio. Excellent trail... grade is very consistent, and very areas have loose stones or other hazards. And the stream has wonderfully refreshing cold water. It is a major hike... took us almost 6 hours going up and 3.5 coming down.

This was beautiful. Did it as a day hike July 4 and bumped in to backpackers on the way down who were camping at Limber Pine and no doubt saw fireworks from all over the IE. Looked like a great place to camp. I made a couple of wrong turns, but it is a well marked trail and I was able to correct them pretty quickly once I realized my error. Washington Survey Monument is a nifty bonus find. Only reason I didn’t give 5 stars is that, while I like old CCC trails, there aren’t any quirky trail features like boulder scrambles or cool footbridges on this one and the view from the top is marginally obstructed by some trees.

Went on a Friday after the July 4th holiday which I didn't know if it would make the trail packed with people who got the day off or empty with people taking the day off/still at work/hungover from July 4th. Luckily, it was the latter, the trail was unbelievably empty. We saw less than 15 total groups of people. With some snow left on the mountain especially past the peak on the way to East Peak and Anderson, empty trails, lush meadows, and a running spring, this was a lovely lovely hike. Very long, start early because we nearly didn't make it off the mountain before sunset. This was the day of the earthquakes and my hiking partner and I did not feel anything, but we were running down the mountain when the earthquakes were said to have happened so with the pounding that we were producing ourselves we must just not have noticed. When I finally got cell service way down the highway, I was bombarded by texts from friends and family sure that I had died in some horrible accident on the mountain or trapped under a boulder that the moving earth had shifted loose. Anyways, none of that happened and this was a very safe trail and there's a lovely campsite at limber pine very close to the spring that was flowing very strong. We didn't stay there, but it's nice. You need an overnight permit or you will get fined, the rangers and SGWA volunteers do come around and check.

I love it so much ~