San Antonio Ski Hut

San Antonio Ski Hut is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,004 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great hike, as of today there’s not much snow between the trailhead and the Ski Hut, snow picks up beyond hut en route to summit. Micro spikes helpful for the first 30 mins of the descent but not essential. Gorgeous views of Baldy Bowl.

i went January 12th. There was snow on the trail about half way up. Everyone had crampons and hiking poles except me. I just went in regular hiking shoes and no poles. I was fine, didnt seem to need crampons yet and i think everyone else was expecting way more ice and snow. I hike way faster than most people so it took me almost exactly 2.5 hours (including a break at the ski lodge). I aint no bitch, i killed that hike. If i had more time i probably would have passed the ski lodge and went to the top of Mt San Antonio, but alas, tacos were on my mind so i scrambled back down the mountain. I dont understand how people are so slow hiking up or down and they have crampons and poles to aid them. I was cruising past everyone and just had shitty hiking shoes. Like literally they are shit hiking shoes, i bought them for $20 at Ross dress for less. I am fine in the ice, snow and rocks with them and everyone with all this gear are walking like grandma's and grandpas. Wtf?! I honestly dont understand. Anyways... it was a nice hike. The view at the ski lodge was like a 5/10, seen better, should have went to the peak.

@Travis DuBridge - Sorry but 2.5 hours to Ski Hut is really slow, it doesn't even start the hardest part of the climb. Definitely did not kill this one bud, sorry. Also not cool to make fun of others hiking the trail. It's not about how fast you can get up a small hill like Baldy. Some are doing training for bigger peaks and maintaining a lower aerobic threshold and/or carrying gallons of water, rocks, etc. as weight. Alas some folks are just slower. If you're going to brag and put others down maybe put up a decent time yourself.

icy

At this time of year and with the recent snowfall, CRAMPONS CRAMPONS CRAMPONS. Needless to say I forgot mine. Although I got an amazing leg workout, the sliding heart attack on the way down I could of avoided. Definitely in winter months go EARLY because the crowd was crazy once we ended our hike. Didn’t make it to the bowl due to the lack of gear, but if you prepare it’s a great workout and fun trail. Took some newbie hikers and we did well. Few narrow areas they were nervous about but we managed. Plus we took the pups and they got a great workout with an amazing lunch view at the Ski Hut.

If you’re like me and enjoy going off trail every once and while, this trail is great for that. Although, wouldn’t recommend going to far of trail unless you have experience. Awesome hike!

icy

I enjoyed this trail because the ski hut was a fun end point. I wish I had shoe spikes (crampons) because it did get slippery every once in a while since there is a lot of gravel, no snow a this point. View is nice, but you won't see much of the Mt. Baldy view because the mountain blocks it on the trail. We saw a number of animals. We were surprised to see people hiking with their dogs. I wouldn't underestimate the hike though. You could easily slide down the side of the trail or trip over larger rocks and so forth.

Hard trail, gorgeous views, nice picnic tables at the ski hut to eat your snack before your return hike

The first half is the steepest part with silt and dirt and the second half is more of a gradual incline with rock scrambling. It is a moderate hike if you are in shape.

I don’t remember the hike being so hard. But still the views are beautiful. Ski hut was closed for maintenance but hikers could bring down trash to the trailhead to help. So glad to have the opportunity to bring down a trash bag to the trailhead.

This trail is no joke! I did it yesterday and my whole body is sore from the work out. don't get me wrong I had a great time! it's so beautiful and peaceful up there! lot's of shade, birds, and chipmunks, stream going through at parts. the weather was perfect. a nice cool breeze when you're going up. at the top it got a bit chilly when you're in the shade. the ski hut is awesome. you can stay the night there, there's usually a host that is there. This hike goes down as one of my favorite hikes ever. even though it was challenging.