Mount San Antonio

Mount San Antonio is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until November.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,877 feet Route Type: Out & Back

about 10.5 miles to do the loop. started at 5am, summited around 830, hit the bowl trail at 915, got back to the trailhead around 1230pm. took lots of breaks and my partner's knees were giving out a bit on the steep walk down the bowl trail. didn't have trekking poles and definitely recommend those on the way down. take at least 2 liters of water if you hit it before dawn, and at least 3 if you go once the sun is out.

recorded mm

Went up the Devil’s Back Route... down the Baldy Bowl Route. And I’d say the down was far harder than the up. Views were stunning and definitely enjoy a post hike beer at the village.

Amazing trail. Went up devils backbone early morning. Well maintained. Going down ski hut was steep and slippery but so beautiful.

Did the loop counter-clockwise, tagging on Mt. Harwood and West Baldy. Great views from the top, and worth bagging the highest peak in LA, but the trail itself isn’t great. Paved and then dirt road all the way to the top of the ski lift, and then a lot of annoyingly steep sections that could just be switchbacks. Especially bad on the last slope to the peak, and on the way down, from the top down to the ski hut. Coolest part of the hike was the peak and Devil’s backbone. Worth doing once, but I would do Cucamonga Peak again several times before Baldy again.

Did this hike on 8/25, started about 6:45am. It took us about 4 hours to summit, via Ski Hut. The trail is great until the last mile or two to the peak. It gets steep and there is a lot of loose dirt/rocks, but not bad. We descended via Devils Backbone, and I really enjoyed that trail. Either way, it's a strenous climb, bring lots of water! There is still a small stream flowing near the Ski Hut if needed to filter water. Bugs weren't bad, but bring sunscreen, as the sun is pretty intense at the summit, and there is no shade! Overall, great hike, but not my favorite due to the steep descent and my aching knees, lol. We took the lift down and skipped the last couple miles.

Hard, train for it and bring enough food

Started at 6:20 and finished by 1:45. Great hike. Straight up.

I arrived at 6am on Sunday to be greeted by a full lot. If going on a weekend I’d suggest getting there around 3 or 4 AM depending on your experience to experience the summit at or near sunrise. Or just go on a weekday when there’s less people. P.S. Too many people just doing their own “workout thing” with loud Bluetooth speakers.

Just completed the Mount Baldy loop. I went counter clockwise (up Devil's Backbone and down Ski Hut). My GPS was a little off, but it registered a over 10 miles. Beautiful hike, perfect weather, no issues with bugs, clearly marked trails, and not too many people out. Devil's Backbone is always epic. Next time I will reverse the way I went up (clockwise in a loop). Definitely a good workout and some good elevation gain. Vista views are incredible too. It took me about 4-4.5 hours to complete, but I keep myself in great shape. Enjoy!!!

The trail is clear of snow all the way to the summit. Take ploes.

Did the loop as described with the dog today - definitely would recommend actually going up to the ski but first and back down devils backbone. I recorded quite a bit more than 9 miles, was just under 12 car to car. Great weather, getting a bit bit lower down

Decent workout great views at the summit but so much slippery gravel made the decent unpleasant. Do some elevation hikes before you attempt this one.

Completed this route yesterday with a hiking group (3H), in honor of legendary San Kim. There were slippery slushy areas 1 mile after the hut, so may need microspikes around this time. Good times!

Went up to Baldy via ski hut and down the backbone last weekend. The weather was perfect, clear sunny day and cool. Past the ski hut and heading towards the peak there are patches of snow. Once you get towards the top of the bowl/heading towards summit, the snow becomes more consistent. We brought microspikes but didn’t use them, just had our poles. Summit was great, so many people up there. And the hike down the devils backbone wasn’t bad, only when you left summit to descend there was a little bit of snow. The rest of the trail was clear, the lodge and ski lift were open but we walked down the fire road for the whole experience

Just did it today, despite gloomy weather. Agree with other comments...despite snow tramping near the top, totally OK without spikes (though I did plant my ass in the snow twice). If you have micro-spikes, you might as well use 'em. But I planted my butt on the dry area of the steep descent too, so, you know, maybe it's just me. Visibility was low for most of our hike, my friend and I had to "marco-polo" a few times and lost the official trail in the snow a couple times. But there's enough dusty footprints, it seems like all paths lead to the top. With 20-yard visibility, the peak was COLD and windy, unless it's a perfect sunny day, gloves and wool hat and several layers seem prudent. Glad I did it, finally bagged Baldy, and would give it 5-stars if I had been able to see any of the legendary views.

Great hike. Still quite a bit of snow past the hut. No real defined trail in the snow. Took the notch trail back to the car. A bit of snow on Devils Backbone.

Fun hike that was steep at the end. There was slushy snow on the bowl that was pretty messy. Lots of post holeing. Crampons, ice axe, helmet are a must. Saw several people bailing out and turning back on the bowl trying to glissade with crampons on. NO! That’s how broken ankles happen.

Beautiful scenery, wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Should have brought crampons but hiking poles worked well enough.

Good hike..great workout! layer up, check conditions at summit, not for inexperienced hikers...

Great hike! I went in mid-September and the weather was perfect. While it was in the nineties in the valley, it was in the seventies up on the mountain. Not crowded at all during the week, and it was nice to grab a pint at the ski hut. I want to come back and camp up here, and eventually summit Baldy.