Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

San Antonio Ski Hut is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mount Baldy, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,004 feet Route Type: Out & Back

gorgeuous scenery almost on par with cucamonga peak. took this on the descent and got off trail a few times but nothing all trails pro couldnt fix overall 5 stars beatiful trail.

Strenuous but great hike! I love the views and the beautiful trees!

We went down to San Antonio falls after heading to the ski hut, so the distance is a bit farther than the normal ski hut hike.

Lovely hike in the snow to the ski hut today 3/15. A much needed escape to get moving and breathe, above the tense situation unfolding down in the city. Microspikes recommended.

Steep, direct climb but not too technical. Clear of snow all the way to the but on Sunday ... not likely the case later this week.

We were hoping to get to the top, we made it past the the ski hut a bit (maybe .5 miles) until we had to turn around. it was very icy. I do recommend trekking poles at least lol don't be like us. Other then our error, we had a great time. Great views along the way. I'll be coming back when the snow is down and with my trekking poles and spikes (just in case lol)

Went up today. No need for micro spikes/extra traction up to ski hut as nearly all of the snow is gone. Immediately past the hut, more serious gear still needed. People were going up multiple ways with various levels of gear - East bowl route (basically follows the non-snow trail) with micro spikes or just very serious winter trekking boots; straight up the bowl with crampons/ice axes.

Great hike, as of today there’s not much snow between the trailhead and the Ski Hut, snow picks up beyond hut en route to summit. Micro spikes helpful for the first 30 mins of the descent but not essential. Gorgeous views of Baldy Bowl.

i went January 12th. There was snow on the trail about half way up. Everyone had crampons and hiking poles except me. I just went in regular hiking shoes and no poles. I was fine, didnt seem to need crampons yet and i think everyone else was expecting way more ice and snow. I hike way faster than most people so it took me almost exactly 2.5 hours (including a break at the ski lodge). I aint no bitch, i killed that hike. If i had more time i probably would have passed the ski lodge and went to the top of Mt San Antonio, but alas, tacos were on my mind so i scrambled back down the mountain. I dont understand how people are so slow hiking up or down and they have crampons and poles to aid them. I was cruising past everyone and just had shitty hiking shoes. Like literally they are shit hiking shoes, i bought them for $20 at Ross dress for less. I am fine in the ice, snow and rocks with them and everyone with all this gear are walking like grandma's and grandpas. Wtf?! I honestly dont understand. Anyways... it was a nice hike. The view at the ski lodge was like a 5/10, seen better, should have went to the peak.

icy

At this time of year and with the recent snowfall, CRAMPONS CRAMPONS CRAMPONS. Needless to say I forgot mine. Although I got an amazing leg workout, the sliding heart attack on the way down I could of avoided. Definitely in winter months go EARLY because the crowd was crazy once we ended our hike. Didn’t make it to the bowl due to the lack of gear, but if you prepare it’s a great workout and fun trail. Took some newbie hikers and we did well. Few narrow areas they were nervous about but we managed. Plus we took the pups and they got a great workout with an amazing lunch view at the Ski Hut.

If you’re like me and enjoy going off trail every once and while, this trail is great for that. Although, wouldn’t recommend going to far of trail unless you have experience. Awesome hike!

icy

I enjoyed this trail because the ski hut was a fun end point. I wish I had shoe spikes (crampons) because it did get slippery every once in a while since there is a lot of gravel, no snow a this point. View is nice, but you won't see much of the Mt. Baldy view because the mountain blocks it on the trail. We saw a number of animals. We were surprised to see people hiking with their dogs. I wouldn't underestimate the hike though. You could easily slide down the side of the trail or trip over larger rocks and so forth.