San Antonio Creek Trail

San Antonio Creek Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Barbara, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 282 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fun hike with the family. My four year old made it alway the way to the top and back with a snack break under the oak trees. There was quite a bit of shade and the trail was well maintained and easy to follow. There was a lot of poison oak on the sides but none encroaching on the trail.

Good beginner trail. Short technical downhill areas, some small berms and jumps. REMEMBER TO USE A BELL! Very highly trafficked, most of the trail is wide enough to pass without a problem.

this was my first official trail in SB. very nice walk, we had my elderly little dog along and she made it almost the whole way, but she was easy to carry. great scenery, heavily trafficked so I would feel ok alone as well.

The thing I like most about this trail is there's a lot of shade. Great for giving your dog exercise on a hot day.

Considerable poison oak, some of it quite close to the trail.

Enjoyable hike.. great to do if getting back into exercise or hiking. A few creek crossings but nothing treacherous. Make sure to go past the damn.. some good views about 5/ 10 minutes past.

I love this trail. I hike it several times a week! A couple Creek crossings and a lot of shade. Perfect on warmer days! It's my basic out and back exercise trail. Good length to get a decent work out and very subtle uphill climb. Nothing too strenuous.

While seeking out a non-strenuous hike near town in Goleta/Santa Barbara, I came across San Antonio Creek Trail. If you enter the Tucker's Grove park, follow the parking lot all the way down to where it becomes a small road and continue to the large dog park with public restrooms. From there the trailhead begins and continues all the way up to the San Marcos Pass and back down to complete 2.9 miles. The elevation gain is minimal with only 300 feet. There is plenty of shade for warm days, many wildflowers (at least during the months of April/May) and multiple creek crossings. The trail is moderately trafficked with many people with dogs (leashes are required per signage but few people follow this rule; there is sadly an excessive amount of dog poop bags too) and some off-road mountain biking use this trail too. Nonetheless, this is a perfect trail without a far drive and for people of all ages.

We had a lot of fun. We took our dog with us and he definitely enjoyed it. Beautiful and comfortable walk. Nothing crazy or hard. The creek was definitely a plus.

Creeks are flowing. Poison Oak is growing.

The creek is flowing. If you follow the AT recording it starts at the parking lot. If you are reading this within a month of this post I suggest walking on the paved road on the side of the dog park to find the trail otherwise you may have a difficult time crossing the creek. It’s a gradual easy climb all the way to the main road. There is a section toward the end that comes to a large concrete canal, don’t follow the at trails recording here and cross the cement. It goes nowhere. Follow the marked trail signs. There are 2 or more creek crossings with no clear rock path or defined way across. People leave sticks to help with the crossings use them or find one or you will get wet. It’s a beautiful easy trail, I highly suggest it. Get out there. Happy trails. -Verified Completed-

Great area to hike and bring your pup. There is a section to the left of the parking area that is actually not part of the preserve and you can have your dog off leash. I avoid this area in the summer because it is exposed and also at dawn and dusk because of coyotes. Easy hiking and most trails are wide

Wed Jul 11 2018

Overview: I hiked this July 2018, and was very glad for all the shade since it was pretty hot. This is an out and back trail. You can start at either end, at Tuckers Grove or along the 154. I personally like starting at the 154, so that when you reach the end you can relax at the park if you want before heading back. It took me about 1.5 hours for around 4 miles. Pros: - Plenty of parking at both entrances - Lots of shade - Dogs are allowed on a leash - Mostly flat Cons - Can get pretty crowded - Watch for poison oak

Fri Jun 29 2018

Fun, easy, well marked, good shade

Fri Mar 09 2018

This is one of my favorite go-to trails. My favorite aspect is that much of this trail is shaded, alongside ease of parking, a 3 mile RT, and (for me) it is close to home.

Mon Aug 14 2017

Great trail. But watch out for the poison oak which lines most of the path.

Sun Jul 30 2017

hiked it with Vivi the Wonder Dog! she had an amazing time.

Tue Aug 30 2016

Good for a family walk, but can easily get crowded. Shady areas most of the way through, and not strenuous.

Mon May 09 2016

OK for when you want to get out for some exercise but don't want to travel far. Can get a little crowded with people and dogs on the weekends.

Wed Jan 13 2016

Great for hiking with our toddler. Easy trail with lots of things for a little one to explore.

Tue Dec 17 2013

Nice hiking and biking trail close to home. Very nice folks use this trail. I Mt. Bike and as always, I am very considerate of the hikers and hiker's dogs. Bikers, please do the same so that we can continue to share this trail. Thanks. David

Sun Jul 29 2012

Nice trail for a leisure stroll through the Canyon Creek area. Though, the creek is usually dry, it's still scenic. We took this hike ona Sunday morning, met a good number of folks out walking their dogs and a few trail-runners. We walked right up to Rte 154 by the bridge, where the trail seems to end. Watch out for the poison oak but if you stay on the trail you won't have a problem. Very shaded and at times you're walking over some rocks. Overall, good walk!

recorded San Antonio Creek Trail