Learn more

San Antonio Creek Falls is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Arnold, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.1 mi Elevation gain 705 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (119)
Recordings (88)
Completed (237)
David Finkel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jul 13 2020
HikingGreat!

The start was a little hard we missed the trailhead the marking was either not there or we missed it. once we found our way it's a very nice hike down a stream path with some pretty good drop towards a nice running stream. this was mid July of very warm day but once we got into the shade of the trees it was nice my dog loved jumping into the water and flopping all the way down.the waterfall in the water track at the end is beautiful definitely worth trying to find this trail and making your path.

Jeff M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 05 2020
Hiking

Not a bad trail. One error we made was going to the lookout which is over the falls and not that special (view is nice but there are better in the area). During the hike, when you come to the wooden chairs, go right to walk down to the falls. If you go left, it will take you to the high overlook. The falls were neat, only a few people there so it was largely to ourselves.

View Jeff's Recording
Erin McBride
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingBugs

Great trail and nice reward to a beautiful view - try to head out earlier so the heat doesn’t hit ya the way it did with us...and use bug repellent!

B Sommer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 03 2020
Hiking

Pay attention at the beginning to start your trail. We accidentally went up to the Falls Look Out (more uphill, gorgeous landscape view and falls were quite far away from where the trail ends). To see the falls, walk around the boulder in front of you when you end the trail and look down/off to the right.

View B's Recording
Chris Nguyen
Hiking

A nice hike with the family. The wildflowers along the trail were gorgeous. Hike early to beat the heat. Happy hiking!

Ben C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingGreat!

Great hike with kids. We took our two youngest 12 & 6yrs old and they had a great time. We ended up going up to the look out which was nice. We did see a baby rattle snake on the trail on the way home. Kids were a bit scared, but nothing to worry about. Just keep your eyes open for them.

Sara W
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 23 2020
Hiking

This is a lovely little hike. A bit underwhelming but still enjoyable. I did the trail to the creek and also the overlook. Note the trail splits so these are technically two trails. I preferred the creek/top of falls to the overlook for the solitude and rush of the falls. That said, neither trail was crowded. Because a person mentioned poison oak I kept a lookout, and while I don’t doubt there might be some, I couldn’t find any while staying on the trail? I’m used to trails where it’s prevalent so wanted to call out it’s not pervasive. But yes, look out if allergic, as always!

Nicole Pavlatos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 20 2020
Hiking

Nice, short trail good for family hiking. The waterfall was beautiful!!! Big downside- be careful of poison oak. My stepson and husband were scampering around on the other side of the creek- not sure if they brushed up against it there or on the actual trail, but they got a bad case of it.

Bradley Massone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020

it was a great hike it is a beautiful Trail lots of shade good exercise lots of up and down in steep hills and some flat spots to went down to the creek to the waterfall and another day went to the Overlook The Overlook was beautiful

Nichole Speziale
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 12 2020
HikingBugs

This was an absolutely beautiful hike. Went on a Thursday afternoon and it was not busy at all. Although it was a hot day, the shade provided by the trees on the trail helped keep it cool. Overall, if you’re looking for a beautiful view with a marvelous path that follows the groove of the land, then this is the right one for you. Although steep at times, it’s a twisty, curvy path that keeps pretty steady. And nothing can beat the gorgeous trees and amazing nature scents while walking to a beautiful river and falls.

Natalie Gillihan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 02 2020
BugsNo shade

A beautiful hike after you get through the first quarter mile of fire destroyed sun-baked area. many elevation changes, and a bit dusty. the falls when you get past the very large granite boulders are well worth it! make sure you go all the way to the end. and bring plenty of bug spray, as they are aggressive.

Racheal Fisher
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 31 2020

Truly beautiful trail. make sure to check out the falls AND the overlook!

Anthony Serrano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 30 2020
Hiking

So I'm going to put it out there. I was a little disappointed. I read all reviews and I seen a lot of go left or go right. Just follow the posts they will guide you. One of two post you need to know. When you are walking on a dirt road for your trail stay straight till you hit post 1 (it will say Alt 1) At that point you will see another post to the left that says San Antonio Falls Overlook. (as shown in my photo) The second post that you need to know is when you get to post 9 you can go two ways. If you head straight it will take you to the over look which other posts will guide you. If you go right (hard right) it will take you to the creek down below. (All trail paths are very visible) Now the disappointing part. When I got to the over look I was not able to see any waterfall which is confusing cause I seen some nice pictures from other people. I was told I had to go to a peak of a bolder to see the waterfall which was sketchy to me. Also when I got to the creek area down below, it was a small stretch of river that was not to exciting compared to other trails I have been. Now don't get me wrong it was still a nice hike and you can get great exercise. Some parts of the trail can get little steep and a little uphill. I've seen other post say to bring bug spray. Please do as I did not or at least have it with you. Also i don't know if it was my phone (galaxy note 9) but my all trails app PRO did not work for me here as I did go the wrong way following post that was leading me to a logging museum. Follow instructions of post and look at my landmark post picture as it is the most important.

Lauren D’Andrea
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 26 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail out to a great overlook. You can park at various locations to start this hike. I started at the Logging Museum, which resulted in a 8.5 mile round trip to the overlook and back. First 2 miles are flat and paved, followed by a clearly marked dirt trail with sign posts. Dog friendly. Amazing panorama view at the end. At the overlook you’ll see a bunch of boulders - carefully climb to your right to look down at the falls. Enjoy!

View Lauren's Recording
Mai Smitamegha
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020

Hot day!!

View Mai's Recording
Alexa Sulvetta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 24 2020
View Alexa's Recording
Dixy Morales
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 24 2020
BugsRocky

It was busy yesterday! A lot of friendly dogs and humans. Beautiful hike, we took the SA Creek overlook trail before heading to the waterfall and that is worth seeing, I recommend doing both! Be sure to stop and look around the creek for cool nature bugs. The water was not crazy cold either, there were a few people who jumped in, so wear shorts or take a swimsuit if you want to take a dip.

IG&SC __B.BossMO4K__
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 23 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I seriously love love loved this trail!!! It was definitely a good Hike!!! We made it to the top of the falls. I just uploaded like 5 or 6 pictures I took. So check it out. The incline was no joke but I’m glad I’m not sore at all. But over all it was really beautiful and the breeze felt so good. Lots and lots of shades. I’m so proud of all my 3girls they made it there and back with me...

Samuel Jain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 22 2020
Hiking

Nice shorter hike through varied landscape. At the split 0.6 miles away stay to the right for the main trail to the falls or go to the left for the overlook.

Phillip Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed May 13 2020
HikingRocky

Nice hike down to the creek and falls, it gets a little rocky there. We went to the overlook after. You can climb the rocks at the overlook to see the falls from there too! Be careful, you pretty much have to stand on top of a cliff to see them! It's a steep climb back out! Good luck!

Danielle Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 12 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
View Danielle's Recording
Anthony c
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 24 2020
Hiking

Nice hike with family. My 8 and 10 year old had no problem. Majority of the hike is shaded. Overall it was about a 4 mile hike. There is an upper and lower falls hike which I highly recommend you do since your already there . Photos are of both upper and lower hike.

Gina Rios
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Apr 23 2020
Hiking

It was a good hike. We made it to the top of the falls. The incline was no joke. But over all it was nice. The shade followed us through out the hike so it was cool. Brought my Pug and he enjoyed it.

Samantha Cooper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 22 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike today. Wish I could have found a way to see the waterfall from below. Will definitely go again!

Adam Busa
HikingRocky

Beautiful relaxing slow paced hike in, and a nice steady climb back to the car, keep an eye for trail markers they’ll instruct you through the woods. Beautiful waterfall views, had lunch on the rocks up above the fall overlooking the forest. Couldn’t think of a better way to break the quarantine funk! Even made a cute lil friend from the valley, wish I got her name...Will hike again for sure!

Chelsea Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 17 2020
Hiking

Loved it! So beautiful this time of year (April 16, 2020) and water flowing pretty nicely if you bring your pup!