Saline Valley Road OHV Trail is a 77.8 mile point-to-point trail located near Big Pine, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and ohv/off road driving. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length77.8 miElevation gain7,253 ftRoute typePoint to point
Dogs on leashOHV/Off-road drivingScenic drivingNo shade
Waypoints (0)
Photos (55)
Activities (13)
Completed (23)
St Efan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 27, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

Made it with my stock Ford E-350 and Falken AT3W. The washboards were no fun at all, with 40-45mph and aired down tire I got most of it working :-) For the rest: easy route, I’d say any SUV can make it BUT: don’t go for street tires and carry a spare ;-)

Garrett Stack
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 14, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving

North half washboard really sucks.

View Garrett's activity
Len Stubenfoll
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2019
HikingOff trail
View Len 's activity
Tom Aubin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2012
OHV/Off-road driving

I entered Saline Valley from the north out of Big Pine off the road to Death Valley. Foolishly I went alone in a Toyota Corona Mark ll. I went off the the road to explore but I almost got stuck in the sand and fortunately I had chains and it was a miracle that I got back on the road. There was a flash flood at one point and I got to high ground.Proceeding out of the valley to the south end the road was rocky and I could feel the rocks scraping the bottom of my car. I came out onto US 190 on the east side of Owens Lake. I think if I had had a higher clearance vehicle that had true 4WD not the 4WD in todays street cars I would have enjoyed the trip more. I never saw any other vehicles the whole time and my CB radio did not pick up anybody. Exciting but scarry too. If you love solitude and the desert you'll love this trip. Take plenty of water. Supposedly there is an old communal hang out on the north east end. I drove this in 1976.

Michael Huffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 29, 2010
First to Review

We came in on the "South Road" from Olancha as the North Pass was still icy and covered in snow at many points. We came in at night, which I do not recommend for first timers, as the road has its challenges! Extremely rocky and bumpy with washboards throughout. Driving in the daylight is also quite dramatic as the views and vistas are breathtaking. This is not a road for novices and you must be certain to bring in everything you might need as there are no stores, your cell phone will probably not work and AAA will NOT come and tow you out. I have explored this area in detail for many years and it is one of my most favorite places to visit. The landscape is similar to that of Death Valley along with the same flora, fauna and geographical attributes. High ground clearance is required and four-wheel drive can get you into more trouble than you can get out of!

Christopher Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 17, 2020
View Christopher's activity
James Turcato
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 14, 2019
View James's activity
Davis Everett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 3, 2019
View Davis's activity
Robert Steele
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 27, 2019
Hiking
Emilio Lopez-Centellas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 10, 2019
Pierre-Arnaud Gourdain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 29, 2018
Hiking
View Pierre-Arnaud's activity
Emilio Lopez-Centellas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 24, 2016
Emilio Lopez-Centellas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2016