Sagehen Creek Trail

Sagehen Creek Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Truckee, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 223 feet Route Type: Loop

great easy hike for all

*Much of the trail is next to a river providing a water source for dogs *A lot of shade *Flat, even, rock-free path which would be good for people and dogs with joint problems *It took us 3 hours and 10 minutes round trip with a quick lunch break and several stops to take pictures *Nice views (river, lake, trees, plants, etc.)

Have done this hike (not the loop) out to the reservoir & back many times. Great for almost all ages & dog lovers. It is mostly level. This year with our increasingly hotter summers, many dogs had burned/injured paws. We no longer have a dog

Very nice trail. Very little rough terrain. Beautiful river for much of the way and shaded 75% of the time. Ends with a beautiful view of the reservoir. Loved watching the patch of Aspen trees glimmer in the wind as the river flowed nearby.

Flat, mostly shaded trail following a creek with beautiful meadow views and a (warm in the summer) reservoir as a reward at the end (our dogs enjoyed it too...) Highly recommended.

Very nice and well maintained trail. Easy hike for the morning, the weather was perfect for a 10am hike. Started to get busy when we were on the return back.

beautiful trail and an easy hike. I started at 8:30 am and was almost alone on the trail. on my way back it got crowded though. go early

Beautiful flowers, bring bug spray! Not too crowded early in the morning on a weekday.

Beautiful trail full of wildflowers & wildlife. Parking can be tight. Expect more mosquitos around dusk. Also there is no cell phone service on this trail. Enjoy!

Super flat and relaxing. Extremely picturesque along river and out to lake.

Very nice and easy trail that ends at Stampede Reservoir. Perfect for all ages and all skill levels. Tons of wildflowers right now on the trail. Went during the week and didn’t see anyone else on the trail.

Decent views on occasion but extremely crowded as others have previously mentioned. I have lived in the area for years and have only walked this trail once due to the foot traffic.

Super crowded trail so if you are looking for peace and solitude, definitely not for you. Very easy flat trail and was beautiful. Lots of NV license plates in the parking lot so seems to be a hot spot for Reno folks. Some big groups (20+ people) so constantly had to step aside to let them pass going opposite way. I’ve lived in Truckee a long time and this was first time I did this hike. Won’t probably do again due to how crowded it was - like rush hour.

Crowded, but the flowers were marvelous. The meadows at the end were spectacular.

Great trail with pano view at the end of lake. We appreciate three ladies told us this beautiful trail when we met them at Donner summit trail yesterday 6/14/2019. Also I would like to thanks them for my lost watch on the trail yesterday, just let them I found it.

Beautiful trail, however extremely crowded with nearly constant flow of people coming & going including several large groups. And lots of dogs. One rude lady told me i should let my dogs run freely off leash. I do, but leash up when passing others.

Pro: Beautiful, narrow trail. Snow melt was good this year. Con: Trail was very crowded. Several large groups. Not much peace.

loved every step

Very wet and muddy right now. I was ok because I had waterproof boots and I enjoyed the squishy muddy fun. My partners tried to find ways to avoid those sections. No wildflowers the first 25 min of the trail. We didn’t get all the way to the lake, so I didn’t see if there were any wildflowers out there.

This is a great dog friendly trail. Easy out and back. Veautiful views. It's pretty muddy in May. It's technically an on-leash trail, but I never see a dog on a leash.

great flat hike, was a bit muddy in spots

Snowshoed on 3/31/19.. snow is pretty patchy at this point with some areas being pretty deep and others being muddy. Would recommend waiting a few weeks and the snow will likely be melted to the point where you could just hike this trail.

Great snowshoe hike Jan 28, 2019. Beautiful views. Took 4 hours for 5 mile hike which included lunch.

Beautiful trail, nice easy walk to Stampede. Be aware this is a well trafficked trail. Lots of families and dogs. If you are seeking solitude this may not be your trail. Otherwise, very pleasant, an easy stroll with rewarding views.

Great trail for beginners, but I wouldn’t say it was lightly traveled. There were quite a few people including families with young children. Dog & kids loved it, easy access to the creek. Very beautiful

Easy trail with beautiful views. Took us 2.5 hours, a little less

Monday, September 03, 2018

Creek runs most of the way so nice and easy for our dog

Friday, August 24, 2018

* great, easy hike- creekside to a large water source. * dogs had fairly constant sources of water. *fun hike around the lake. * pretty.

Monday, August 13, 2018

This is always an enjoyable hike regardless of some of it being flooded during certain years. Time it right and see the beautify Camis Lilies and many other beautiful wildflowers. I posted a photo of Browns Peony which we only saw once over 12 years. A fun after hike is to go to Webber Falls… Jackson Meadow Rd...should be great in 2017. Last I checked it out 5/26/17 area was closed, so check before you drive extra 14 miles out there.