Sagehen Creek Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Truckee, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 246 feet Route Type: Loop

Pleasant hiking although crowded beginning when weather is nice. Nice wildflowers and birds especially near the reservoir. The fastest way to get to the end of the trail is via the Hobart Mills Rd and then off onto a dirt road for a bit.

Great for kids and families. Beautiful, mostly flat hike with beautiful meadows at the end.

Great trail for kids and families. Fairly busy but everyone was courteous.

This trail was a walk through beautiful nature.

Great early season trail running route. It’s flat. Also good for getting use to running at elevation. Get there early. It gets busy.

Excellent trail with a new breathtaking view around every corner! Our active 8 year old did the whole thing while our almost 4 year old needed minimal help out to the lake, and rode on my back (in a carrier) on the return. Strava says we traveled 5.4 miles to lake and back.

Flat and easy. Some views of creek. Can walk to edge of Stampede at the end. Good warm up hike to get acclimated. Not good for trail bikes. Good for little old ladies and dogs.

great easy hike for all

*Much of the trail is next to a river providing a water source for dogs *A lot of shade *Flat, even, rock-free path which would be good for people and dogs with joint problems *It took us 3 hours and 10 minutes round trip with a quick lunch break and several stops to take pictures *Nice views (river, lake, trees, plants, etc.)

Have done this hike (not the loop) out to the reservoir & back many times. Great for almost all ages & dog lovers. It is mostly level. This year with our increasingly hotter summers, many dogs had burned/injured paws. We no longer have a dog

Very nice trail. Very little rough terrain. Beautiful river for much of the way and shaded 75% of the time. Ends with a beautiful view of the reservoir. Loved watching the patch of Aspen trees glimmer in the wind as the river flowed nearby.

Flat, mostly shaded trail following a creek with beautiful meadow views and a (warm in the summer) reservoir as a reward at the end (our dogs enjoyed it too...) Highly recommended.

Very nice and well maintained trail. Easy hike for the morning, the weather was perfect for a 10am hike. Started to get busy when we were on the return back.

beautiful trail and an easy hike. I started at 8:30 am and was almost alone on the trail. on my way back it got crowded though. go early

Beautiful flowers, bring bug spray! Not too crowded early in the morning on a weekday.

Beautiful trail full of wildflowers & wildlife. Parking can be tight. Expect more mosquitos around dusk. Also there is no cell phone service on this trail. Enjoy!

Nice easy one-hour hike each way. Beautiful wild flowers, very light traffic. Gorgeous blue sky day - perfect!

Super flat and relaxing. Extremely picturesque along river and out to lake.

Very nice and easy trail that ends at Stampede Reservoir. Perfect for all ages and all skill levels. Tons of wildflowers right now on the trail. Went during the week and didn’t see anyone else on the trail.

Decent views on occasion but extremely crowded as others have previously mentioned. I have lived in the area for years and have only walked this trail once due to the foot traffic.

Super crowded trail so if you are looking for peace and solitude, definitely not for you. Very easy flat trail and was beautiful. Lots of NV license plates in the parking lot so seems to be a hot spot for Reno folks. Some big groups (20+ people) so constantly had to step aside to let them pass going opposite way. I’ve lived in Truckee a long time and this was first time I did this hike. Won’t probably do again due to how crowded it was - like rush hour.

Crowded, but the flowers were marvelous. The meadows at the end were spectacular.

Great trail with pano view at the end of lake. We appreciate three ladies told us this beautiful trail when we met them at Donner summit trail yesterday 6/14/2019. Also I would like to thanks them for my lost watch on the trail yesterday, just let them I found it.

Beautiful trail, however extremely crowded with nearly constant flow of people coming & going including several large groups. And lots of dogs. One rude lady told me i should let my dogs run freely off leash. I do, but leash up when passing others.

Pro: Beautiful, narrow trail. Snow melt was good this year. Con: Trail was very crowded. Several large groups. Not much peace.

loved every step

Mon May 06 2019

Very wet and muddy right now. I was ok because I had waterproof boots and I enjoyed the squishy muddy fun. My partners tried to find ways to avoid those sections. No wildflowers the first 25 min of the trail. We didn’t get all the way to the lake, so I didn’t see if there were any wildflowers out there.

Sun May 05 2019

This is a great dog friendly trail. Easy out and back. Veautiful views. It's pretty muddy in May. It's technically an on-leash trail, but I never see a dog on a leash.

Sun May 05 2019

great flat hike, was a bit muddy in spots

Sun Mar 31 2019

Snowshoed on 3/31/19.. snow is pretty patchy at this point with some areas being pretty deep and others being muddy. Would recommend waiting a few weeks and the snow will likely be melted to the point where you could just hike this trail.