Sagehen Creek Trail

Sagehen Creek Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Truckee, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

For flat-landers, this is an easy first-day-at-altitude hike/walk, along a pretty creek to the quiet end of Stampede Reservoir. Great for dogs, good picnic places.

Great easy trail. Good for kids! Not a loop trail though.

Really beautiful, shaded hike. Very flat, runs along water, peaceful and easy, perfect for novice hikers. Only went in about 40 minutes, will do the whole trail next time!

Nice and flat run (no incline) that goes to Boca. Would recommend to run on weekdays when not as busy as the path narrows in most places.

Beautiful trail!

Such a great hike for beginners! If you're looking for something easy and beautiful, this is a great option. We went in the middle of the day so there was not a lot of traffic due to the fact it was a bit hot. But the breeze kept it bearable and the reservoir at the end was beautiful! Also, I had read June was a great time to go because of the wildflowers and the nice full Creek from the snow run off

Stumbled across this trail while out on a drive. The walk is beautiful and right along the stream. Fairly crowded with a lot of dogs off leash. Most the owners we passed were respectful and would put their dogs on the leash when people passed with other dogs. I did not think it was very fellow hiker friendly when one couple didn’t control their golden retriever.. I have a 2 year old 80# German Shorthaired Pointer who is hit or miss on tolerating male dogs. For precaution I was moving him off trail when people would pass. They decided to not call their dog to them and let it run up on me and my dog after we had moved about 15/20 ft to the creek. . I’m yelling get your dog. My boyfriend is telling them to leash your dog- you don’t know when a dog is t dog friendly.. rudely the wife tells us if he isn’t friendly not to bring him out... should I have chanced (small chance) a potential dog fight? . Better to be cautious. Shouldn’t you be following the trail rules of dogs on a leash? Or even keeping your pet with you when people are passing. Unfortunately people are still ignorant. The pup didn’t even bark at anyone our hike.

Beautiful area, easy trail. Parking area is very small and busy during the spring when wildflowers are peaking. Most had dogs on leashes but others did not. While we were in the parking area some lady's dog ran into the road because she hadn't leashed it and it was nearly hit by motorcyclists going way above the speed limit. It was nice to see little to no trash on the trail. I fear the sensitive meadow areas could become degraded by off leash dogs, dog excrement and people that don't stay on trail. We didn't get ticks but some have said to me their dogs have come out with ticks on them.

Despite being so easy, it was such a beautiful walk. A great place to let the dogs run around. There was water through the trees and it leads to a great scenic view of a lake.

Very nice. Easy to follow. Creek is pretty in places. Lake is beautiful. Entrance right on 89. Directions will take you to a different way in but you'd need an off road vehicle. Crowded and LOTS of dogs off leash.

Camas Lilies are just starting to open. Maybe next week the will al be open.

Beautiful view of the water awaits you at the turn around point of this out and back trail. You can walk along the waters edge to the
South and connect with the Emigrant Trail to make this a large loop.

Fantastic easy hike! I agree with other reviews. Muddy meadow early in the season, great for dogs who love the water. Listed as a loop, but we didn’t see where the loop went after the lake, so we made it an out-and-back. Also, the description here says that dogs must be leashed, but I didn’t see any signs saying this, so watch out for off-leash dogs. (Most) everyone we encountered with dogs were nice enough to leash their dog when they saw us.

Great time to hike this trail. Limited muddy areas. Wildflowers are just starting.

I love this early season hike. Very easy. Trail was muddy in spots due to early season. The meadows are very muddy. But beautiful.

Super easy hike. The driving directions to the trailhead are wrong the actual trail head is right off of Highway 89. Beautiful wildflowers a little bit muddy

Picturesque easy hike. It is walkable now (Feb. 10!) but very muddy with icy spots.

A lot of wildflowers during May

A bit muddy since there has been no snow and it’s been warm. Pretty creek.

Great family friendly trail

Nice and easy hike. Good water views. Definitely dog friendly. Took about 2 hours and 45 mins as we walked along the dirt road for vehicles as well as the hiking trail.

Nice well-worn dirt & rock trail running along a running creek for most of the way. Ends a southwest corner of stampede reservoir. If you have a water dog like we do...they'll love this hike!!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

This is a great leisure hike with not much of an incline. Dogs are welcome, and there's a creek that is easily accessible in many parts. Parking can be a bit a bit of a challenge, but you can usually find a spot in the trees. The trail is a little narrow, so you'll have to stop on the side to let others pass. The scenery is beautiful with plenty of tree and flowers! All in all this a great hike.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Great for kids. Easy walking trail, well traveled. Saw a person try to take a wagon for a child - path is dirt and rock - so they had to take it back. Heads up, we did find a tick on one of the kids.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Fantastic trail! Not much of an effort for a great adventure. Good for children and dogs!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Quite a few flowers out, great view of the lake at the end. Fairly level easy trail. Good for kids.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Did the loop this a.m., and it was gorgeous. It took a few minutes to find where to cross the creek at the reservoir. Look for large railroad ties in the creek. Use those as your bridge (might get a wet foot or two). A pretty little trail to a Jeep track picks up on other side of creek. Jeep track is dusty. Was glad to get back onto trail about 2/3 of the way back on that side.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Did the loop. Crowded after 9.30am.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Beautiful, easy trail with nice wildflowers. We could not find the loop so did an out and back.

Monday, June 19, 2017

A little tougher than I thought it would be with young children but beautiful and peaceful!