Saddlebag Lake Trail

Saddlebag Lake Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lee Vining, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A spectacular and unique adventure.

Did the hike around the lake this past September. Very easy trail as it really gains nor loses any elevation at all. We went counterclockwise. Great views to the west at North Peak and Mt. Conness when you're on the eastern shoreline. A good starting point to do some hiking beyond into the back country too. On the walk back on the west shore you can see Mt. Dana in the distance. Great little day hike with awesome views all around.

Just for the updated information, we went there today and the general store and water taxi business are closed. There is a sign said for sale. Sad. But we did walk the trail around lake which is absolutely stunning.

fly fishing

Awesome

just walked the dam... never seen so many 12" trout in one spot...

Sunday, September 11, 2016

This hike is one of those you can choose to make longer or shorter depending on your preferences. I choose to make it a loop. So I hiked along one side of saddlebag lake. The trail here gave me the first of a lot of hiking of talus which would be common later. The trail never gains very much elevation, but there is a lot of ups and downs. Not enough to be a real issue. Please note too, there is a water taxi if you want to save yourself some walking.

There are a lot of fishermen in the area, and if you like to fish, try this lake. I could see a lot of fish in the streams and lakes. Shamrock lake was simply majestic. Helen Lake less so, and to leave this area I had to go through a steep and rocky path, not too bad but you are warned. There are a lot of lakes, all really nice. So check it out

Friday, July 22, 2016

Totally amazing hike. It's a top 10 for sure. But it's not "easy." I would definitely rate this MODERATE. There's some steep parts of the trail & challenging inclines. But truly gorgeous experience!!!!!

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Friday, June 10, 2016

I hiked this beautiful area a LONG time ago (while visiting in 1984 as a 14 year old). Shortly after exiting Yosemite NP at Tioga Pass, we made a quick detour up Saddlebag Lake Road. Despite the many years that have passed, I distinctly remember being mesmerized by the surrounding peaks and the fact that a good portion of the surface of the lake was still frozen in July...with lots of snow still around (no drought back then)! I would definitely like to visit this one again someday!

Friday, June 10, 2016

Hiked this gorgeous trail in search of life sightings of the White-tailed Ptarmigan and Grey-crowned Rosy Finch. Ptarmigans proved elusive but got many wonderful views of the finches; females and males hopping on snow fields gleaning insects around the lake. Take the boat ride! Don't waste your time and energy hiking along Saddleback Lake which is bleak and boring. When buying my boat ticket I talked to the friendly and informative marina operator who told me to forget the trail book directions which have you hike in a clock-wise direction but instead hike around the loop counter-clockwise. This proved to be an excellent suggestion.

off road driving

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Thursday, October 08, 2015

Beautiful!

Sunday, July 19, 2015

We had spent a few days at Onion Valley and ended up in Lee Vining to check out Mono Lake and its alienesque tufa. That took us all of an hour with three days left before we returned home. Our campground neighbor suggested Saddlebag Lake so off we went. The views were more stunning than I was expecting and it was a relatively easy trail and only took us a few hours to complete, though it easily could've taken us the entire day to explore if we weren't meeting the water taxi to take us back! Overall it was a lovely hike and my favorite part of our recent camping trip.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

This hike turned out to be quite an adventure for us. We hiked the loop starting along the eastern side of the Lake. It was my first opportunity to try out my new telescopic fishing pole with several scenic areas to stop and "wet a hook". The northeastern portion of the Lake is vegetated and offers many chances to view wildlife and photograph this beautiful area. As we passed the ranger lodging along the north side of the lake, we lost the main trail because there are several side trails that lead hikers off the ridge and back towards the Lake. This would not have been a big deal except that a hail storm blew in (Yes, in June), and left us vulnerable along the unvegetated west side of the Lake. We did hunker down behind some boulders and covered our heads with our pack covers. Upon weathering the storm, we finished the hike along the very steep west side. The area is a talus covered slope that still had pockets of snow along the trail. This made traversing the west side more difficult than I imagine it normally is during the summer. We finished the hike along the dam, and I did catch a rainbow trout to finish the adventure. We give this hike 5 stars and would recommend it to anyone, especially the hiker-fisherman type.

Friday, June 12, 2015