Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge Complex Trail

Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge Complex Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Willows, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Just ambled around the pedestrian trails they had available there. They also offer an “auto trail” for vehicles but it’s hard to feel as connected to the beauty around you when you are in a car in my opinion. So much activity just before dark, lots of waterfowl there, small idk I call them brush birds?, flitting around, chasing each other. I heard a few owls and finally got to see one (great-horned I believe). GREAT for bird watching. You have to pay a small fee if you don’t have the right pass but it didn’t seem like anyone cared much about checking if you had.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Well kept trail. I Went at the end of fall, it was wet,green, cold, and full of birds. I imagine fall and winter are the best times to go. Out of a few Wildlife Refuges I have been to around Sacramento, I liked this one the best

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Today I really needed to get out, it amazes me how a lil running can change your whole out look on life......I did this hike as a trail run the path is approx. 1.5 miles on its outer most trails ( there is a few short cuts as they call them) is clear and well maintained, however there is no waterfowl at this time as all the wetlands are dry but come fall and winter these wetlands come alive...... the sound alone can be mind clearing and when they fly....well lets just say its a beautiful site and one that everyone who likes the opens spaces should see and hear. Happy Hiking!