Ryan Mountain Trail

Ryan Mountain Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Twentynine Palms, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from October until May.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,069 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Oasis of Mara: Follow Utah Trail southwestward approximately 17.5 miles to the Ryan Mountain Trailhead. If you have trouble with steep uphill, this trail can be difficult.

Beautiful views. It was well over 100F today but myself and several others couldn’t stay away. Bring plenty of water with you and I’d suggest having extra in your vehicle as well - it’ll be warm, but better safe than sorry. No shade at all, both up and down.

Great, good workout wonderful veiw at the top. Would do it again.

What a great hike! We did this on 8-9-2019 and left the parking lot right at sunset. The moon was 6 days shy of full but was plenty of light to hike by once the evening light was gone. didn’t even need to use the headlamp I brought just in case. I’m a big guy and not fast but 45 minutes up and 35 down seemed a pretty good pace. The views are endless and the trail is easy to follow. The incline is steady but never really steep. Got to watch a sweet lightning storm probably 100 miles to the east! (Based on RADAR)

Good hike and it's up hill with lots of steps carved into the trail. I took my wife (who isn't quite as into the outdoors as me) and she enjoyed it. she did have very sore calf muscles for several days. We went on August 10th 2019. This is the hot part of the year so I recommend early morning or late evening. I don't recommend this trail in the dark, the trail has some areas where you may walk off the side of a mountain. We did it just after sunrise and it was great, we were in the shade most of the trip (thanks to the mountain being to our east as the sun rose.

Beautiful view but make sure you have plenty of water! It’s a toasty one!!

We did this during winter and it was beautiful. Pretty steep in places but overall a good little hike.

Went mid-day - it was a scorcher but worth it

Nice hike. Trail is fairly easy to follow. Not too difficult, and great views up top. Recommend bringing a good amount of water, especially during the summertime. Hiking boots and hiking poles will definitely help! Bring a pair of binoculars as well for some nice views from the top of the mountain.

Nice hike that begins with stairs and steady inclined. Gravel path with few patches of rocky terrain. Go early to avoid the heat and bring water. Trail has a false summit that has great view of the valley floor. But continue off to the right to get to the true summit post sign.

Good hike; great views

Amazing view at the top, very busy though

Views from the top are AMAZING!! But if you don’t like a ton of steps/ rock stairs- this is not the hike for you. I wouldn’t call it “strenuous “ like the JT map rates it. But the view at the top is so worth it!!

Pretty decent ascent. I did it with my toddler so it took a lot longer, but it was pretty and we enjoyed the view at the top. We also saw big horned sheep on the trail.

A winding mountain trail that features beautiful desert views, I found the hike really fun, but not at all challenging. There are many rock steps that form the path up to the top which is really awesome! Easy for experienced hikers who want to sweat a little.

One of the steeper hikes I experienced on my trip to Joshua Tree. The views at the top are absolutely breathtaking, highly recommend getting out early before the trail gets too busy!

I loved this trail because you get a lot of bang for your buck meaning the hike is short and fairly easy for average hikers and the views are awesome. My wife and I were up in 50 minutes and down in 35. The location offers 360 degree views of various areas in the park. If you don’t have a lot of time but want some views hike this mountain!

For a experienced hiker this is an easy climb to the top. The views during the first half mile were the best. After a mile you are behind the mountain and only see a vast expanse of mostly flat desert. The last half mile was not very steep. The view from the top was okay, but I thought the rocks and Joshua trees near the beginning were prettier. Nice hike just to say I did it, but I wouldn’t do it again. Still a few wildflowers on the trail. May 27, 2019.

The only reason I can see this being a moderate trail is because of the length. Good desert views but due to the visibility they were not spectacular. Probably would spend my time differently on a subsequent trip.

I’m not an experienced hiker. I enjoyed this but it’s not easy. It’s a mile of elevation, so the ascent feels like a stair master for an hour. The view of the park from the top is worth it.