Ryan Mountain Trail

Ryan Mountain Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pinto Wye, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

cave

Directions from Oasis of Mara: Follow Utah Trail southwestward approximately 17.5 miles to the Ryan Mountain Trailhead.

17 minutes ago

A short hike that can get tough due to the temperature. Beginning of June, it was already in excess of 110 degrees during the day, so an early start is definitely recommended here. On the plus side, the trail is to a large extent in the shadow if you hike in the morning, and the 360 view from the top is definitely worth the effort. Just make sure that you carry a enough water and a hat!

Definitely strenuous. Especially in the summer. Lots of folks turned back because they knew they didn’t have enough water. The view is amazing from the top. Not for the faint of heart.

This was a challenging hike! I agree with the Park Rangers that it's strenuous. The full sun and elevation climb make it a tough trail but it's a great workout. The lower valley trails are easier and prettier.

Best hike for the view. Its all uphill, so bring water and a hat, as the whole trail is exposed. Its rated as strenuous in the NP guide, but I think thats too keep the tourists at bay. I can see this being a hike people have to be rescued from....

Short hike, but uphill, but once at the top, you get a beautiful 360 degree view of Joshua tree NP and beyond. Some annoying tourists were at the top flying a drone, which was incredibly annoying so please respect the land and your fellow hikers. The constant buzzing and whipping of drones is incredibly distracting and annoying. Sorry I don't care about the dumb youtube video you are going to make or your instagram likes on a selfie of you. STOP IT. (enough ranting :} ).

A nice hike with lots of views. ..and steps. A moderate hike climbing, but easy climb down , and took only about 2.5 hours round trip including many photos and scenic pauses.

Beautiful 360-degree views await you at the summit! It’s not too difficult of a hike if you have proper footwear, sufficient water and sun protection. Go early in the morning and bring some snacks to enjoy at the top.

A challenging but nice trail. It takes you high up the mountain.

Great for a quick workout, but I tend to go when no one is up there somehow and I can’t help but have this Erie feeling..

Considering that this is one of the few mountain hike around, it is fairly nice. It gives a nice view around, and is done very quickly (50 min up, 40 min down)

The mountain is just in the center of the park. On the trail you will see the rocks you've hiked.

The view...one of the best in the park! The trail is incline and steps, watch out for rattlers in the narrow parts (saw one crossing near dusk). The isn’t much shade on the way up, the summit is spread out over a wide area. The views are almost 360, loved that.

Awesome. Best hike I’ve done all year! I’m very out of shape. This hike was challenging, but doable. Saw 3-4 different types of cactus flowers blooming. Finished by 10:30 am, so not too hot. Totally will do this hike again!

Fun

Great short but challenging hike with a spectacular view at the end!

Did this hike about a month ago in mid-March and it was enjoyable. There isn't a ton of variety in the scenery on the way up the mountain, but the views at the top are great. If you're not spending your time climbing in Joshua Tree, this is a great hike to do, but I enjoyed the flat trail loops in the park that take you up close to the rock formations more than this hike.

Loved this hike! It was a short and steep hike with absolutely beautiful views all the way! I would say this is nature’s stair master

I imagine this hike is most pleasant outside of the summer months. We completed Ryan Mountain on April 5 when it was between 82 and 85 degrees, just about perfect weather.

The hike itself is pretty manageable. We saw people of nearly all ages and abilities making the trip. There's nothing particularly technical, just a solid climb up and a quick jaunt back down.

I will say, in terms of expectations, know that Ryan Mountain's peak isn't the one clearly seen from the trailhead. It'll look like a pretty normal ascent at the outset but the trail actually wraps around and snakes upward near the back of the mountain you see at the beginning. If you have this understanding, you should be able to pace yourself just fine and earn a wonderful view up top.

The view from the top is well worth the challenge getting there. Take many breaks if needed but keep pushing to the top!

The views at the top are rewarding. Hiked with a 6 & 9 year old back in October.

Great hike out and back to one of the highest points in the park. Well traveled and easy to follow trail. Gentle upward climb to some spectacular views.

This hike was a great challenge and let us see an incredible view from the summit as well as many scenic vistas along the path. It wasn’t a super long hike but boy were we huffing and puffing, it is quite steep at some points. well worth it thought and there are many areas at the summit that are perfect for eating some food and taking a good break before heading back down. Really enjoyed this hike!

Great trail with awesome views at the top. The Mt. peaks in the distance were still snow covered and just beautiful! Had a picnic at the top. Took 45 minutes less time to get back down. Some ascensions to the top can test your heart rate...

It’s a short intense hike to Ryan mountain! Most of the trail is laid out like a staircase which after a while made my hip flexor hurt. The view on the top is totally worth the struggle!

Great hike up. Lots of steps with varying height. You will need to pay attention! I would recommend doing this hike early in the morning to catch the sunrise or early morning sun across the valley. For my money, these are the best views in Joshua Tree.

Amazing payoff at the end but it is a difficult climb. I was winded many times and was happy to take breaks to let others pass. This is my first West Coast mountain and it made me feel like a rookie. We did pack water which even re-energized my husband who is an avid hiker. The top has an amazing view and so worth the hard work. We even had lunch at the top. Great views!!!!

I'm a desert native who was introducing my girlfriend to the park and environment of JT. We hiked Ryan Mountain for the view at the end. It is strenuous for those who aren't used to elevation and the sun. My girlfriend had to take frequent breaks because of the heat and rapid elevation gain. There are absolutely no breaks from the heat unless you have the wind blowing in your favor. I'm used to these kind of trails (grew up in the coachella valley) and even had to stop for the occasional water break. I wouldn't recommend the trail for those with a fear of heights. Some parts are well paved, but narrow. It is frequently visted during winter months. However the view on the way up is great, and if you're lucky, you can see some rock climbers in the distance.

This hike was difficult for me, we had already hiked around 11 miles for the day and started around 430 pm. We made the top by about 6 and the views were great especially at dusk. By the time we got to the bottom it was full dark. The wind was being at the top as well so dress appropriately.

Very pretty...but the stairway all the way up 1.5 miles got old. I like variety. Stairway to heaven

Left the car at 10 am, made it back by noon. We took our time hiking up the steep incline—definitely harder than we expected, but the trail was safe. The views at the top were breathtaking!!

Great views, beautiful summit. Heavy traffic in February.