Ryan Mountain Trail

Ryan Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Pinto Wye, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

cave

Directions from Oasis of Mara: Follow Utah Trail southwestward approxiamtely 17.5 miles to the Ryan Mountain Trailhead.

I did this hike on Sept 16 2017. This was my first hike in Joshua Tree National Park, and I enjoyed myself. There is some good change in elevation, approximately 1,000 ft from the start to the top of the mountain. The trail gets a bit narrow at times, but I could still pass or let people pass me. Took me about 40 mins to get to the top and 30 mins back down. The view from the top is amazing and worth a second trip.

Great views

Went here for the sunrise today and it was absolutely lovely! Very steep going up, so make sure to account for that ;-) 1.5 miles with a steep elevation takes much longer than a flat 1.5 ;-) Also if you start before sunrise (even 30 minutes before or so) highly recommend burning a headlamp for the first bit for better visibility.

Trail is SUPER well maintained - kudos to the awesome National Park Service folks and to volunteers as well who help maintain! ❤️

Great place to catch the sunrise or sunset.

Didn't know how steep it was really going to be until I started but I am so glad that I finished!

Exactly the hike in needed on that day. Beautiful summit

I got to the trail at about 0515 to try and beat the heat and catch the sunrise at the top. It took me about 45 minutes up, so I missed the sunrise by a few...but still worth it! At the top there's a nice panoramic view of the surrounding valley and mountains. There also another good stop about 10 minutes from the top.

The way up is all uphill, and the way down is all downhill. The way is mostly stairs...so prepare your knees! I passed a few coiled rattlesnakes, so mind your step.

Good, steady climb. It's mostly stairs with a little bit of well trodden and easily visible path. I did it mid day and it was over 100 degrees at bottom; had a nice breeze at the top so well worth it for that and the great view.