Rustic Canyon Loop Trail

Rustic Canyon Loop Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 980 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

NOTE: Please read comments and reviews before hiking this trail. There have been recent reports of the trail being washed out and very poorly marked in the swamp. For these reasons, it is possible that this route is closed. It is recommended that you take the loop clockwise up the inspiration point trail. The rocks coming down are very steep.

We did this starting counter clockwise and it started off awesome. Little creek was gorgeous. But then a moment came when it’s very unclear what to do and we would have w been flummoxed if another group of hikers had not come from the opposite direction telling us it was “gnarly” “full of poison oak” and essentially they had waded through the stream. It was sad to see the trail so neglected but you are warned the trail is not maintained. It’s the understatement of the century. But if you want a fun story to tell people later this is your trail.

We hiked the tour clockwise. First part was very well maintained with beautiful views. From Pacific Palisades, a collapsed building, the road is no longer entertained. The nature is beautiful, however, the path is partly overgrown and spiked with cobwebs. We enjoyed the adventurous hike despite everything.

Hiked this yesterday. Went up from the polo field to the bridge and then down a steep, rutted trail to Murphy Ranch. The trail entrance was hard to find, but a friendly local mountain biker showed us where it was and said the trail wasn't too bad (though he did say that not that many people took it). He underestimated it a bit. About 15% of the trail is intact, and the rest is a scramble through spider webs (some big), mud, bountiful poison oak and a lot of creek crossings. Someone kindly put some orange flags in some places where it's hard to find the trail (thank you to whoever did that), but the vegetation is definitely winning over man here. Recommend skipping the creek part of the trail and taking the longer ridge hike on the way back.

From the South, went up to the dam then back to a "trail" up to the ridge. This was not the trail shown on the map, did not see that one, from either end. Absent an official name, I'll call it "Mistake Ridge". Some places there was trail, some places a hint of a trial, and then some brute plowing or crawling, a little like the trial up. The two stars is because of the ridge. The canyon, I'd give three. As others have said, expect to be wading in water. It wasn't as over grown as I was expecting, but I'm wondering if my legs are gonna break out in a rash in the next few days from the poison oak. Yeah, a few cob webs.

bridge out

The beginning of the trail (inspiration point) is beautiful. The comments on this post don't lie; the trail is washed out with spiders everywhere. If we didn't have alltrails up we would have gotten lost. About one mile of the trail is walking in and out of water and ultimately guessing where the trail is. If this is the kind of adventure you are into it's great, otherwise pretty rough

Half of this trail follows a creek and the trail is very hard to follow, very few people around. Be prepared to walk through water and feel a little lost. The other half is totally marked, clear, and broad. My girlfriend and I finished this trail looking like we crawled through a muddy cave.

The beginning near the river was difficult because it was extremely overgrown and pathway wasn’t clear. I found myself needing to rock climb in certain areas and was continuously guess where the path was going. Once past the river, the trail takes you to an abandoned nazi sympathizer ground which had numerous graffiti buildings. Extremely interesting to see but simultaneously creepy. The views from the mountain were completely worth it. The trail was also longer than 4.6 and was more like 5.6

Comments are right indeed. Didnt read it before I hiked yesterday and noticed that especially the last part is very tough with a creek. I ocassionally couldnt find the trail and had to get my feet wet in order to get to the ending. First part is very nice though to the top of the hill,