Rustic Canyon Loop Trail

Rustic Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

NOTE: Please read comments and reviews before hiking this trail. There have been recent reports of the trail being washed out and very poorly marked in the swamp. It is recommended that you take the loop clockwise up the inspiration point trail. The rocks coming down are very steep.

Went counter clock wise into the canyon. Took us the wrong way and led us climbing the side of the mountain. The map said we were in the right spot but we were not, I slipped and tumbled 20 feet but luckily clinged to a tree branch. DO NOT RECOMMEND. Trail is terribly marked in the swamp and you got lost so easily. Go clockwise up the inspiration point trail. That way is beautiful

I haven't done hiking for a while before I decided to go on this trail. My husband and started on the eastern side and I'm glad we did. I can't imagine how average hiker will deal with it. It's not so moderate - you basically have to climb the rock at your own risk. For us it was very adventurous and fun, but looking back now I think we were "playing with devil" going up the pretty steep rocks without any insurance. Overall I have say if you're an experienced hiker you'd love doing this hike, it gives a variety of challenges and the views are breathtaking, but if you're not, then better stick to the Inspiration Point trail.

Thinking of taking your dog here? DONT.

If you decide to go here make sure to take military 8 inch high boots so that you don't have water getting in your shoes. But even then you'll still need some gators. The eastern portion of the hike down Will Rogers Trail is not visible. It is literally walking thru the river in water that is stagnant and so full of algae it clings unto you.

Also, make sure you have the downloaded maps or an actual map because the trail has not been kept in years and half the time you'll be deciding wether you're still on the trail. By the way for some of you adventurer folk that seek to go here when the river has not subsided to an acceptable level, beware: DEATH!

If you were to go thru this river while it is high you wouldn't make it out. Even while it's low at 6 inches--4ft in some places, the algae causes you to slip. Trekking poles would be of no use as you are basically walking thru the river and playing 'Chicken Limbo' underneath tree trunks.

Furthermore, please do not subject your dogs to this hike it is horrible for them. My dog made it but we have been hiking for a while since she was young. As for other dogs they need to be carried thru major portions of it. Either way, it is completely unenjoyable for them. Good luck. Make sure to have your hands free so that you don't crack your head open when you slip.