Rustic Canyon Loop Trail

Rustic Canyon Loop Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

NOTE: Please read comments and reviews before hiking this trail. There have been recent reports of the trail being washed out and very poorly marked in the swamp. It is recommended that you take the loop clockwise up the inspiration point trail. The rocks coming down are very steep.

If you’re bringing children, a dog, or anybody afraid to descend rock faces, don't do the whole loop. If you aren’t taking any of those things and want to do the whole loop, go clockwise. The eastern half of the loop, along Rustic Creek, is poorly defined and dangerously steep in some places. Seriously, there are one or two sections where you have to ascend/descend 25 feet up a near vertical rock face and sometimes the only apparent route forward is to walk in the creek. Stay near the creek, as getting lost is very easy. The brush is overgrown. Avoid the poison oak.

That said, the challenge of this section made hiking it a rewarding experience. But it's definitely not for everybody.

In contrast, the western half of the loop, up the backbone trail, is beautiful. It is well maintained and the views are great. It wasn’t crowded even on a Sunday and suitable for any hiker or dog.

Great hike loved the views...

Great hike loved the views...

Went counter clock wise into the canyon. Took us the wrong way and led us climbing the side of the mountain. The map said we were in the right spot but we were not, I slipped and tumbled 20 feet but luckily clinged to a tree branch. DO NOT RECOMMEND. Trail is terribly marked in the swamp and you got lost so easily. Go clockwise up the inspiration point trail. That way is beautiful

I haven't done hiking for a while before I decided to go on this trail. My husband and started on the eastern side and I'm glad we did. I can't imagine how average hiker will deal with it. It's not so moderate - you basically have to climb the rock at your own risk. For us it was very adventurous and fun, but looking back now I think we were "playing with devil" going up the pretty steep rocks without any insurance. Overall I have say if you're an experienced hiker you'd love doing this hike, it gives a variety of challenges and the views are breathtaking, but if you're not, then better stick to the Inspiration Point trail.