Russian Ridge Trail

Russian Ridge Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near La Honda, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

A short yet steep hike that offers great views and pleasant trails through grassland meadows and oak woodlands.

A moderately difficult hike through grasslands, rolling hills sporting a summer dry grass cover, occasional wildflowers through a MROSD maintained preserve.

Detailed blog: http://shompens.com/canvas/1496874384547

Great trail, mix of shade and direct sun. Not very crowded when I went on a sunny Friday afternoon (didn't see anyone on the trail, but did see a couple cars in the parking lot). Windy drive up to the parking lot, but roads were well-paved and well-trafficked.

Some very beautiful old oak trees, when I went it was very misty and slightly windy. Although once you get your heart rate going from hiking, it gets much warmer and the cool air is nice. The flowers were definitely worth it, so many poppies and other native California flowers. Not a huge incline, you are really just hiking multiple little hills. And these hills are comparable to the size of the ones you'd see on the side of the road when you're driving towards Tracy,Dublin, or Pleasanton. Just little rolling hills, so it's definitely a nice hike for a beginner.

I did this hike on a chilly windy morning. The gates for parking didnt opened till 7 am. So parked my car on roadside (hope that was ok). Trail had nice wildflowers and beautiful vast greenery. Easy trail and not much incline throughout. Good introduction for newbies.

We went to the summit where the cattle roam. It was ups and downs and an out and back trail. Worth it. Barely saw anyone.

Amazing views of both the bay and the ocean, a lot of wildflowers to admire, and an easy hike. Spring seems a great time, as flowers are in bloom and days not too hot yet.

One of the most beautiful Bay Area hikes!

Really leisure hike. I wouldn't say it's moderate, however. Trail was in really good condition despite all the rain we've been having which is nice.

Great hike with extraordinary views of the Bay and ocean on a clear day. We did this hike on a sunny Winter day and were very comfortable; imagine it would be hot in summer, given the lack of shade.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

A great trail. I will definitely come back there soon. A lot to see, wild animals, views, a lot of optional trails and great mountain biking experience. I loved it.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

This is a lovely easy / moderate trail with excellent views of the bay, ocean and Santa Cruz mountains. I like the counterclockwise loop as you get much needed shade along Ancient Oaks Trail.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Awesome hike that provides scenic view of the Silicon Valley

Monday, January 05, 2015

Great hike year round, but probably best in the cooler seasons since most of the hike is in the sun. I hiked this on a Saturday and there were maybe 10 cars in the lot and 10 more in the Russian Ridge lot.

There are great views of the ocean on a clear day, and when you get to Borel Hill of Silicon Valley. Mostly rolling hills but there are a few nice climbs that get the heart rate going. The Russian Ridge area looks like a great trail running spot for newbies like me. Looking forward to going back.

(A 4 means it's a worthwhile hike, but there was nothing jaw dropping about it so it didn't get a 5)

Monday, November 11, 2013

This place is pretty great for the most part. The trails are very easy to follow and it's not very crowded. My favorite trails are Ancient Oak and the northern end of Ridge Trail. Lots of single track fun, but the climbs are long. The northern end of THE Ridge Trail is only fun going down but coming back up does not look like an easy task. I opted to go the route of taking Skyline back to the vista park gate where it reunite with trail system. Overall the single tracks are very fun with mostly easy to sections of moderate technicality. I have connect this ride with the neighboring Coal Creek OSP which has some fun single tracks and also Monte Bello.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Beautiful scenery and limited traffic make this a great hike. It was not very difficult, but still worth the time it took to drive there.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Great trails for beginner mountain bikers it is exciting but you don't need an expensive bike to ride it. Personally it was the first place I mountain biked at.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

This is what Northern California trail running is all about. Once you are up on the trail ridge, you can view all of the Portola Valley and Palo Alto below you on one side, while taking in the rolling Coastline mountains on the other. I have been checking out about 2 of these Open Space Preserves off the 280 per month, and man, they are epic. Put on some tunes (if you are a music streamer while you run or bike) and get ready to fly.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Very easy hike with nice views. A good Sunday hike if you are a bit tired from Saturday night. I organized a meetup to do this hike and I think we all enjoyed the casual loop. We stopped at Alice's restaurant on the way back to eat. (alicesrestaurant.com). I like to imagine that it's the same Alice's Restaurant as the Arlo Guthrie song (but I'm pretty sure it's not)