Russian Gulch Trail

Russian Gulch Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mendocino, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

We went the first week of June and it was beautiful. It was cool in the morning an warm by the end of the hike. We went an extended route which ended up being around 8 miles. Trailheads were well marked and parking was easy. Since it's also a campground there are water fountains and bathrooms near the parking. We saw maybe 5 or 6 different groups of hikers for the firsts half to the waterfall but once we split off into the extended trail we didn't see anyone. Majority of the first 3/4 of the trail were shaded and the last fourth was intermittent shade, but it doesn't get too hot in Mendocino so it was fine - I'd just suggest to bring a bit of sunscreen. Also - use bug repellent! There were a whole-lotta mosquitos buzzing around. Also - I had it a bit easier than my SO with my waterproof hiking boots. There were a good amount of puddles and mud he had to dodge.

Beautiful waterfalls but path is full of stinging nettles. Spent more time trying to avoid being stung than enjoying the trail.

pretty fun trail with gorgeous forest views and an awesome waterfall midway through. shorter options available

Walked this trail today. Did the 2.7 one way. It was beautiful and we took kids age 4-9 with us and they did great. I did find out while there that dogs ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Amazing trail! Beautiful and almost completely shaded. I went on a day that was over 100 degrees inland, and it was an amazing 60 degrees on the trail. I was alone the majority of the trail
And just saw a couple people right at the end. A little muddy in areas, but not terrible. Loved the waterfall and even benches at the waterfall to take a break.

This is a really peaceful loop through the forest, and has a beautiful waterfall + pool to wallow in near the half-way point.

Really enjoyed this hike.

This trail is a bit crowded along the shortest path to the waterfall. However, every other part was totally empty (we saw no other hikers). If you're up for it I recommend the full 8-shaped loop which is about 6-7 miles depending on where you park. One thing that was really nice is it is entirely shaded so even on a sunny day the temperature was comfortable.

Crowded, a bit wet, very green. Beautiful waterfall, totally worth the hike! Walk along the creek in between the redwoods. There is disagreement in the car on if this deserves a 4 or 5 star rating. Also, no ticks that we saw which is a plus. Lots of picnic areas on the way, bikes allowed until halfway when the hike moves from easy to moderate.