Learn more

Rush Creek Trail to Agnew Lake is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near June Lake, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.2 mi Elevation gain 1,256 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (260)
Recordings (123)
Completed (449)
Noah Kokkinias
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 07 2020
HikingRocky

Very beautiful hike with stunning views. It is pretty steep going up for the first two miles but very enjoyable. Hiked it later in the day and the trail was very well shaded coming down.

View Noah's Recording
Christine Soya
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingNo shade

Steep hike, great workout. Bring plenty of water because there is no shade.

View Christine's Recording
Martijn Hostetler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownRockySnow

This trail is an incredible journey up into the Ansel Adams Wilderness. Probably the most spectacular scenery I have seen anywhere in California. That said : wow is it difficult to do without enough acclimation. I spent the night in Lee Vining at 6750 feet and that was not enough. I am used to doing trails where the highest elevation is at the very end and then you turn around. This one goes up to 10,200 and then you have to go another 3 miles on rocky hills which are so difficult at that elevation. I unfortunately had to turn around a mile before the lake otherwise I was afraid I would collapse. I would highly recommend camping up top first and doing this as an overnight !

View Martijn's Recording
Mary Dring
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 13 2020
No shadeRocky

Hiked to Agnew Lake with our dogs (7 and 2 yrs). We left Silver Lake Resort where we were camping, at 9:30 am on 6/10. We cut into the trail from the park so that should have made it shorter than the 4.2 miles that is indicated. We took a turn at the top where it had a sign saying, "Agnew Lake Access". I don't believe this is the trail because the "access" didn't really guide you to the lake. We saw some people walking up the tracks which seems would take you closer to the lake. There is a tree with a marker of 8500ft. and reads Agnew Lake which I believe marks the top of this trail but goes beyond this on up to Gem, Waugh, and Thousand Lakes. These lakes, as I understand it, are much prettier than Agnew. Due to the dogs, and it was getting warmer, we turned back. It is an ascent of over 1300 ft. the entire way and very exposed. The views are amazing with several waterfalls. The dogs drank from one of the creeks along the way and we refilled their water bottles with it. What goes up however, must come down. When we got to Agnew we rested. As we did, a mule train came down the trail. At least 30 mules went by. Churning up the rocks on the trail and dumping more manure (these mules had already dumped on the way up!) Needless to say, going down was even more dusty, loose rocks, smelly, and steep. The dogs were getting tired and their paws were really hurting. With about a mile to go, the dogs could barely walk anymore. By this time it was around 1:30 and no shade. I was worried I would have to carry the dogs back. They stopped at every bush with cover to rest. We made it by cutting through the trees near the cottages and market at the bottom. Walked the dogs through the creek to cool their paws. The older dog had tender front paws from going on this trail for 2 days. We took plenty of water for them and us but I do not recommend this for your dogs unless they are used to this kind of hiking. I feel bad we did this but I'm documenting it to prevent anyone else who may be considering taking their dogs on this trail. We stopped for a lot of pictures, resting due to the altitude gain, watering dogs, resting dogs and we returned at 2pm, 4 1/2 hours and clocked 5.1 miles. Almost a mile longer than indicated on this trail. Even with a short side trip to the "access" area and the cutoffs both going and coming, we aren't sure how they measured this trail. I recommend a hat, camera, food fuel, plenty of water, bug spray, sunscreen and leave you dog at home.

Jamie McAllister
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
HikingNo shade

If you’re looking for a modest, morning workout, this trail is a great choice. The views were spectacular, and the climb was very moderate with many flat-points to catch your breath. We’re staying up near Mammoth Lakes on Forest Service land this weekend, and found this hike via All Trails during our drive around June Lake yesterday. This was our first time to June Lake, and when we saw the Horsetail Falls yesterday, we knew we wanted to get up early and see them for ourselves. We arrived early to the trailhead; you’ll want to because of the heat. Coming from the south on Highway 395, you’ll turn left at the sign for June Lake Junction. Follow June Lake Loop Road until you see Silver Lake on your right. You’ll loop around past Silver Lake Resort, and the trailhead will begin on your left, across the street from Silver Lake Campground. Parking is free. I started my Garmin at the parking lot and logged 6.2 miles round-trip. This is an out-and-back trail, and the All Trails app said the hike would be 4.2, but it was certainly a bit longer to get to Agnew Lake. This could be due to where we began the trail? Although we followed the map pretty accurately, and still logged more miles. The hike begins (Google Maps labeled it Gem Lake Trail) easily venturing through some shrubland and quickly turns to small aspen trees, crossing over a couple of creeks. You then start your ascent along the side of the mountain with June Lake Loop Road visible below you. Views are incredible, and there are a few places to stop along the way near Bristlecone Pines hanging on the mountainside. About ¾ of the way up, you’ll cross over a cable car railroad, which is pretty neat (I wish I knew more about it!), and after a few switchbacks, you’ll cross over them a couple more times. Views of Horsetail Falls are visible from these switchbacks, although you cannot walk up next to them. Enjoy the views on the way up because we didn’t find Agnew Lake anything special. There is a lot of mining material left over, and the lake was very low for this time of year. There was a sign that said, “Agnew Lake access”, which led us to a small stream coming from Agnew Lake, but nothing much to see. We then traced our steps back to keep hiking up the trail towards Gem Lake, when we reached a Bristlecone Pine with a sign for “Agnew Lake - Elevation 8,508 - Inyo National Forest”. We called this our destination, as the lake didn’t seem appealing enough for us to hike further towards. Here we had some trail mix and a beer in the shade, and then made our way back down! The views on the way down didn't disappoint once again. A little chossy at points, but overall an easy descent. I would rate this hike to Lake Agnew as a 3.5/5. The views on the way up and down are worth it, but be prepared for a little disappointment when you reach the lake. See more on thescenicdetour.com

Paul Koopmann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 02 2020

amazing hike with wife and dog. waterfalls were rushing hard. great 2.5 mile hike up. not too strenuous but a good burn. the views are breathtaking. good work out for our dog.

MonaLiza Lowe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Oct 22 2019
View MonaLiza's Recording
Earle Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Sep 24 2019
Hiking

9/23/2109 Hiked it today, perfect crisp sunny day. Hike is what I expected from doing my homework, very exposed trail, beautiful views, although I did not expect the view of Mono Lake, that was a plus. The Lake was ok, not your typical Alpine setting, but I knew that before stepping on the trail. For me it is generally the Journey, not the destination. Tommorow I will hike to Parker Lake from Silver Lake, looking for to that as well.

Darrin S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Aug 27 2019
BackpackingBugsNo shade

Hiked in on Tuesday 8/27/19, the weekend before Labor Day. Even on a Tuesday it was busy on the trail. We came across a dozen hikers and a pack train along our trip past Agnew Lake. Trail is completely exposed all the way past Agnew Lake. Recommend to start before 7am to avoid the heat. The trail is used by a pack train that brings people/supplies into the PCT/John Muir. They make frequent trips which means lots of horse manure along the trail. Seems like they should be required to do something about that. The hike is tough and Agnew lake is nothing special but Gem Lake and the lakes beyond are worth the hike.

Atticus Mabry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 24 2019
Hiking

Excellent hike up to 10,000 feet. We followed the trail on past the dam up to Spooky Meadow. It was a great day!

View Atticus's Recording
Nicole Welch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Aug 15 2019
HikingNo shadeRocky
View Nicole's Recording
K T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 11 2019
Hiking

this trail has no shade. it had great views though

Megan McCafferty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 05 2019
HikingNo shade

Beautiful view of Silverlake as you head up. First two miles are completely uphill- good workout! Most seem to find Agnew Lake underwhleming, but it was a nice place to stop for lunch after scrambling up some rocks. We got caught in a rainstorm on the way back and the trail turned into a rushing stream, so that was exciting! Altogether, we enjoyed the hike!

Alex Pearson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 08 2019
HikingSnow
View Alex's Recording
Pete Noxsel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 08 2019
Hiking

Great trail with beautiful views. Snow is still preventing access to the lake

View Pete's Recording
Rich Edwards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue May 07 2019

Attempted to hike to Agnew Lake today (May 7) but encountered way too much snow. Went about a mile to where you get a nice view of Horsetail Falls. Views of Silver Lake were great. Temps just right for this hike because as noted by others there is very little shade. Gem lake is the real jewel on this trail but it is an extra two miles there and back.

Cara Levin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Oct 19 2018

After reading about this hike, we were excited to visit this lake. The trail going up has a good view of Silver Lake, however, it also has a view of the road and cars on the way up. The trail itself has a lot of rocks, and a lot of scrub brush. There are very few trees therefore very little shade. Once we got to the lake, we were suprised to see a concrete dam and a power station. Not exactly the serene alpine views we were looking forward to. The lake was not pretty and the trees on one side were cut down for some reason. All in all, a pretty disappointing hike. With so many hikes in the Mammoth area, I can't recommend this hike at all.

Anna Marciano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 03 2018
Hiking

A good climb most of the way, with great views. Unfortunately, had to turn back just short of Agnew Lake due to inclement weather--first a thunderstorm, then light snow. The trail was slippery in areas due to rain where it crossed on granite outcrops with a steep canyon drop below, which made for some sketchy moments where I had to carefully (and nervously) edge my way across. Returned to camp rain-soaked but happy, where a shot of Fireball awaited as my reward!

Heidi M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 09 2018

Pretty hike, several switchbacks along the face. The hike is prettier than the destination of Lake Agnew though. Recommend going in morning if hot weather as the rocks can get pretty warm

Lisa Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 04 2018

It was definitely a good work out. There were some nice scenery but nothing that I felt captured by. Getting to the lake seemed less intuitive towards the end (after the “lake Agnew access” sign), but keep going and there’s a bridge on the left.

Cindysue Compton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 03 2018
Hiking

This is one of the coolest trails. It has so much to it. Besides the amazing views. We passed several waterfalls. Went through Rock formations. Crossed over cable car Xing three times. Saw two dams. One for Agnew lake and the above dam for Gem lake. Once you get to Agnew lake crossing you can keep going straight to Gem lake or the PCT trail. Ruch Creek trail has its own parking lot. We had no problem finding a spot for our 31 foot RV.

Madisyn Wunderli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 28 2018
Hiking

Great hike with incredible views the whole time. Jumped into the lake mid July and it was very refreshing! Decent incline for the whole way up

Morgan Peterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 30 2018
Hiking

Started late morning and definitely felt the lack of shade while hiking the uphill switchbacks. Didn’t climb up the tram/cable car tracks - looked a little sketchy. Lake at the top isn’t the most beautiful alpine lake I’ve ever seen, but we saw lots of wildflowers and a few small waterfalls on the way up that made it worth it.

Shane Hamilton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 26 2018
Hiking

Solid hike with plenty going on around you. Had an afternoon to fill in (late June). Left from the start of trail behind RV park at 4pm which turned out to be great timing as the shadow of the mountain was starting to cover the track (30 degrees celsius.) Not much tree shade so take sun protection if you are doing this of a hot day. 2 waterfalls seen. Also family of deer closer to RV park! Although tempting to ignore signs and walk up tracks for power station trolley I would advise against as some of the tracks pass on very narrow passes and I also noticed some squashed grass on tracks that looked way too consistent to be from peoples feet so I think that the trolley is still active. I have seen some people complain of the power station at the outlet of Agnew lake but I loved this section! Continued until I could see the dam wall of Gem Lake then turned back at 5.45pm, I was only carrying a light pack. Allow more time if carrying camping gear. Next time I would continue up to Gem lake and beyond if time allowed it.