Runyon Canyon Trail

Runyon Canyon Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near West Hollywood, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 748 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

IMPORTANT NOTE: this is a DIFFICULT hike due to loose ground and potential to slip on the descent. For an easier route in Runyon Canyon, take the paved road down or see this out and back route: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/runyon-park-to-indian-rock Runyon Canyon is an extremely popular hiking trail with great views of the Hollywood Hills. It is a great place to go for a quick hike to see the Hollywood sign or the views from Inspiration Point and Clouds Rest. This is also a great area for dog owners as there are plenty of off leash areas. Don't expect to have the trail to yourself and plan time for finding street parking. The southern entrance to the park is located at the north end of Fuller Avenue. Tennis shoes or running shoes recommended. There are a few water fountains but due to the sunny nature of the hike, you should bring a water bottle as well.

Fun hike, took the East ridge trail up and looped back down with the West ridge trail. Once you get to the top, you can choose to take the paved way down. Our parents were with us and they chose to do paved way down which was a good idea because it was really steep! My husband and I took the West ridge trail down and it was challenging but doable going down.

I loved this hike but it was quite challenging in parts ( I am fit and go to the gym but am 56) as there are quite steep descents on slippery soil so bring hands free water or small back pack. We started at the Hollywood Avenue end and did the full look. There is a steep part at the start and then a lot of steep descents on the last 2/3 mile. It was a lovely cool day (January 19) but even so it gets a lot of sun exposure at 11am-12 noon as no trees/ no shade. I did the shorter paved loop with rescue dogs back in August and the heat even at 8.30am is intense. BRING WaTER. AMAZING VIEWS!

Nice view- for me this does not feel hard at all. No shade so being water good quick hike in Hollywood

nice view and easy for me it wasn't hard.

private property

take this trail UP not down...its scary as helllllllll tryna come down it. talk about hard...yup! very steep with loose gravel so wear proper footwear. take the paved road to the left from fuller once u pass thru the black rod iron gate then look off to the left youll see the dirt trail marked for the trail "W1 Paved Fire Road" and have fun climbing. it was so scary coming down because I made that mistake the 1st time but the workout going up is amazing. views are awesome. parking is a nightmare. it has fewer people if u go closer to sunset but still not too crazy

private property

Would say this hike is more moderate because it’s dirt and inclined. Cool views.

Too many dogs, all off leash

I arrived at one end of the park with my friend arriving at the other end :( google maps did not help us find the same meeting place (there at least two entrances to the park). we walked 12 minutes and met in the middle-- it's not a very large space. we saw some awesome dogs! I saw one lady walking close to 15 dogs!!!! such a joyful hike. this was challenging for parts of the hike that had steep incline. it is a rather small space so our hike was not long. we hiked for ~40 minutes and then found a spot to eat our chocolate chip cookies (while our super athletic friend did 75 burpees-- he needed an extra challenge in his workout!) parking was some what easy on a friday morning at 9 AM. I would recommend if you want a casual walking experience (with some steep incline) shared with many dogs and gorgeous views! I would not recommend if you are wanting to escape the city. happy trails!

There is 3 trails easy, paved and hard. Be prepared to struggle for parking and for there to be a lot of people.

Pretty views. The steep incline was a bit difficult with a dog on leash who pulls. My guess is that going counter clock wise would be easier with a dog. Otherwise, the hike as a whole was more moderate.

Not a trail for solitude but beautiful views. Very touristy/crowded.

This hike was actually more challenging than I expected. Great workout though! I’d definitely do this one again!

Incredibly challenging trail. The views are breathtaking of the city, mountains, and ocean, if you go far enough. The diversity of California vegetation is worth the walk or run.

This trail provides a great work out as it is quite steep in places going both up and down. Although many people do the trail in athletic shoes, I was happy to be in hiking boots. This trail is pleasant enough, but there isn’t anything here that would lead me to choose it over Echo Mountain or other hike with interesting destinations. There were low clouds/fog while I was there. On a clear day I’m sure the views would have been better, but it would also have been much hotter due to little shade.

Where the city folk go to hike. Parking is treacherous. There is no shade so bring a hat, sunscreen, and water. I would also say bring sunglasses but most people on the trail are from Hollywood so they will probably already be wearing them. Dogs....and their owners...this trail is strenuous and can get extremely hot. I overheard one person ask another person..."why is he panting so much?" "oh just pour some water on top of him". A completely different person about their dog "why is she hiding under that bush in the shade? Is she hot or something?" I found a dog wandering alone wimpering at the top of the mountain. I could just make out the owner calling for him a half mile down the mountain. Please look after your pets my friends. They are family too.

The most populated, easy and average hike in Los Angeles. Save yourself the effort of finding parking near here and go hike the beautiful vistas and ample parking at Temescal Canyon a short drive away instead.