Rubicon Peak Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tahoma, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and downhill skiing and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,007 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Very steep and a great workout with some of the best views I’ve seen in Tahoe. The hike was great UNTIL you get half way up the mountain where there’s TONS of icy snow. If you’re not an experienced hiker I wouldn’t attempt walking up the steep snow. Also, the snow covers the trail so the entire hike up we were off trail. My friends and I got almost up to the top until we were about 10 ft away, the ice got so hard we couldn’t kick our shoes into it to use as a step anymore so unfortunately had to turn around. so bummed bc we were so close. Anyway the view to where we got was amazing!

Hiked/snowshoed to the peak on 5/2/2020. Right now, you need snowshoes to make it to the peak, and even with them, it’s very steep towards the top. Beautiful views and only saw a few other people towards the end of the hike.

Awesome for snowshoes this time of year!

skiing

Views were awesome. Powder was pretty deep towards the top. Snowshoed it. Did it March 8.

One of the most dramatic elevation climbs we’ve done. Temperature drastically changed at the higher elevation. The last 0.1 miles to the peak requires climbing with your hands to reach the summit. Great view from the top!

icy

couldn't drop the back, trees are too small

One of the better more complete views of the lake, it's a short although steep climb, you gain about 1300' a mile. The way up isn't particularly interesting but the summit itself is worth the effort, especially given how short the hike is. Reaching the summit itself requires a bit of scrambling. Both routes I've used to summit it were easier class 3. I might not have looked closely enough for the alleged class 2 route.

Amazing view up top. Get ready for a steep climb towards the peak.

Steep last 1/4 of the trail up. The trail is tough to follow up near the top, but easily found on the way down. The peak, itself is more accessible from the Southwest aspect. Hella views from the top of the peak.

Si vous aimez la randonnée en montée cette rando est pour vous! De la montée non stop jusqu’au sommet avec une difficulté croissante. Personnellement je n’ai pas eu les jambes ni le souffle pour arriver en haut, seul mon mari et mon chien y sont allés. La vue à 360 en haut est splendide. Pas mal de roches à la fin et un peu de neige. Le chemin est facile à suivre sauf à la fin, malgré que je ne sois ps allée en haut j’ai apprécié les terres traversées et les vues sur le lac. Bonne condition physique recommandée

recorded Rubicon Peak Snow Edition

I started a little later than I wanted to, I wanted to catch the sunrise from the peak, but was able to watch it 2/3s of the way up. Absolutely beautiful!

The distance we clocked was 5.38 miles, out and back. We went all the way to the peak. This is a great trail if you are in shape and want to challenge yourself. It is steep and rocky at the top, but worth the hike, views are beautiful the entire time. Sand on the trail makes it slick coming down, you have to be cautious.

We did this hike in 3 hours, it’s pretty steep and tiring, requires some climbing at the very top, but nothing too extreme. Would recommend to anyone in decent shape for a pretty strenuous hike and spectacular views of the lake :) no visible snow in early September.