Rubicon Peak Trail

Rubicon Peak Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tahoma, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This has to be be one of the most challenging hikes I’ve completed in some time. We stopped at the Forrest Service station nearby and got good directions to the trailhead from “Big Mike”. The Forrest staff are the best!
The couple spots that weren’t going straight up gave excellent vistas of Lake Tahoe and the Rim. At the top to the west were a number of mountain lakes in the valley below. It was hot going up but the peak rewarded us with cool breeze off Lake Tahoe.

It’s a bit of a challenge to the top but you’re rewarded with a beautiful 360 degree view of the lake once you make it to the top of the ledge. I made the mistake of not wearing the right shoes and had more trouble on the descent than the way up because of it.

Definitely a thigh burner, but well worth the climb.

This hike was a ball buster but totally worth it. It was very steep and easy to loose the trail the closer you get to the top. But keep going and climb to the top it’s 100% worth it. It took us about 4 hours to complete the hike.

One of the best short hikes I’ve ever done. Very steep in certain places and had snow up to my knees but it was worth every second of it. I highly recommended this trail for anyone looking to get their heart rate up and get some incredible views.

question! I will be doing this hike in August. So no snow... how important is hiking shoes vs. nikes? thanks!

Hiked to the top 5/30/18. Still a ton of snow at the top which may have made it easier compared to some of the review. The angle of the last 200 yards to the top is well over 45 degrees.

I would recommend picking a day with little wind. I really felt relieved when the gusts died down and I was still clinging to the top!

I had last climbed this peak in 1975. It was like seeing an old friend again. I admit that I was in much better shape back then so I did not remember this hike as being so steep. It was a tough climb but the view was awesome and the summit pinnacle is a fun class 3 climb.

Great hike, fantastic views.

The end view is worth it, but the snow makes it challenging the last 1/3 because you're just trying not to slip/fall. It was much easier to go down than I thought. if you embrace the "controlled fall" and "ski" (in my shoes) or sled (on my butt) down the snow parts - it's really fun/fast.

Recommend bringing gloves and waterproof pants for the snow part. Did it in trail runners, but would have been much better in water proof hiking boots and long socks.

Difficult trail , it took me almost 2 hours climb up. I tried to find the best -easy way to climb the rocks to the peak , but there isnt an easy way , use what ever works best for you.
The hike is mostly in the woods , no special views , but once you reach the top - you are rewarded with a magnificent view of lake Tahoe and the mountains and lakes around !!! it sure is worth the climb !!!

Amazing, strenuous, but amazing! Progressively increase in the grade so be prepared.

Hard hike but incredible views.

This trail was definitely a lot harder that expected. Pretty mellow for the first part but about half way up it gets really steep. the 360 view at the top as well as the sister peaks are incredible.

This hike is not for anyone looking for an easy or laid back hike. The trail isn't marked well but using my app made it a lot easier. Once you get right under the mountain it's essentially a rock climb up a giant hill for about 30 mins depending on your pace. Hydrate because coming back down it is really easy to trip and slide and takes about an hour because it's so steep. This past winter made the trail pretty rough and a few trees actually fell over and crashed about 10 feet from where I was standing. The view at the top is unbelievable and absolutely worth every step. Just don't pretend it's going to be an easy climb. Lots of water and food for the top!

That's quite a bit of elevation climb for the distance! And when you throw a high elevation like that into the mix, it makes it even more challenging. But it's worth it. The view from the top is amazing. There was still a little bit of snow at the very top, and there was a stream that had a steady flow. We drank water out of it. Nothing like fresh mountain spring!

There was plenty of shade and resting spots along the way.

Really strenuous but so fun, steep uphill almost the entire way, still snow at the very top as of July 30th this year! The view is stunning at the top!

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The first 3/4 mile or so is a nice warm up and the trail was easy to follow. Then it gets very steep, I had to keep checking my all trails app to see if I was still on the trail because it gets hard to follow. The last 1/4 mile there's still a lot of snow and I almost turned around because I was only wearing tennis shoes and it was nearly impossible to climb. I wouldn't recommend doing this trail until the snow melts unless you have crampons for the last bit because it wasn't fun trying to climb when your slipping. The views at the top are awesome though!

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Breathtaking views the entire time. Uphill and then extremely steep in snow for the last mile or so at least this time of year. My dog had the time of her life and the view from the top makes it all worth it.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Completed this hike yesterday - the last 3/4 mile has heavy snow pack making the steep climb difficult but not impossible with standard hiking shoes and good balance.

Great views at the summit - the final scramble up the peak was the icing on the cake! The view from the summit is unreal!

Definitely a difficult climb this time of year!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

This was an epic view. It was pretty mellow at the beginning with breaks of flatness. I was kind of shocked how it wasn't so steep but I spoke to soon. once you get to the last mile it is straight up hill. It definantly tested my edurance. I summited around 630 for sunset. It was absolutly beautiful and so worth the hike up. Unfortunately the way down was in the dark and we immediately lost the trail. We ended up bush wacking for 3 hours until we hit a private property road and made it to the main drag. Do not lose the trail if you fo down at night it was not enjoyable :)

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Hiked a couple days ago. It is quite a climb (2000 feet) in I would say, closer to 2.2 miles each way (out and back). Forrest with a pitch to rocks with same. Great for dogs until the last 40 feet when you are hand over hand to get to the peak. Views are spectacular! Be careful up top, not a lot of room to hang out! Bring food, water, sticks very helpful. Lightly traveled.
Trailhead at end of Highland Dr (off Highview) in Rubicon neighborhood.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Straight up the whole way to the top but rewarded with amazing views. No real switchbacks to speak of. Highly recommended.