Rowher OHV Trail to Bouquet Reservoir

Rowher OHV Trail to Bouquet Reservoir is a 14.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Clarita, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving and off road driving and is best used from November until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,790 feet Route Type: Out & Back

scenic driving

ohv / off road driving

off road driving

It was definitely a fun trail. First time off roading in our Stock 19' Jeep Sahara

off road driving

2000 Land Cruiser 4WD ATRAC 33", no lockers. 18PSI Honestly, I would think this trail would be a lot harder, going up wasn't that bad if you are an experienced driver. Parts of the trail was rutted out and steep, but mostly fire road. But going down towards Bouquet Reservoir is a different story, there is one section it was extremely steep and fill with ruts. It seems like if you don't pick your line carefully you'll flip. I opted out and took the fire road down.

off road driving

Lots of everything and nice and cool at the top! Took the family out for a 4x4 ride in the Rubicon last week. Watch out for rattle snakes we disturbed one hiding in a pile of rocks. Also road it on my BMW F800 GS. Lots of single tracks to play on. Three ways to get into the OHV area two if you are on more than 2 wheels. Lots of elevation changes. From the top Texas Rock Climbing area is visible and looks like a little spec. One my two trips we saw hikers, dirt bikers, mountain bikers, 4x4 trucks, Jeeps and lifted rice rockets with ATV tires... keep a sharp eye out for on coming traffic it is a busy little track!

off road driving

Easy to find the trail head with restrooms near the entrance , multiple routes that have different skill levels . Took my jeep jk had no issues. They also have dirt bike trails.

as you can see from other reviews, lots of offroaders go up here. be careful if you are a runner.

off road driving

Rowher Trail is a great off-road trail with plenty of opportunities to test your skills. Most of the challenging sections offered an easier alternative approach. We had a fun day with a stock Jeep Wrangler and a stock Land Rover LR4. The only caution I would share is the final north section near the reservoir has a steep rocky descent with a 2-3 ft drop that would have damaged our vehicles to some extent so we backtracked to the power line road which also reached the highway by the reservoir.

off road driving

This trail was the first we took in my new 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK with a 3 1/2 inch lift and 35s (no lockers). It was simply amazing! So challenging for a newbie, and even more challenging for a semi expert experienced off road driver. There were many choices to take hard lines or easy lines. We went from Rowher to Bouquet. There were pretty extreme off camber lines, really steep hills (used hill descent) and some spotting was needed (mostly for step downs). At the top of the mountain, we started our decent. The end (at Bouquet) was the most extreme challenge. Definitely needed a spotter to make sure tires are lined up in the right position. Overall it was an amazing sight, great trail, lots of challenges and 4x4 is a MUST!

off road driving

Took my 03 Rubi out, trail had lots of ruts and a very technical drop towards the end. Certainly underestimated the difficulty. As a relatively inexperienced driver, I had a few moments of 3 wheeling, but overall it was a fun experience and definitely a confidence builder!

off road driving

Great 14 mile trail close to city and challenging enough for any lightly modded 4X. Took my JLURUBICON and was the only one on the trail on a Tuesday morning end of March.

off road driving

Fun run. First time off roading although not super technical it was nice having some experienced drivers who knew the trails. I recommend taking some recovery gear. Great way to spend the day.

Closed today, Presidents Day

Great trail with a variety of challenging climbs. Nothing extreme but enough to push your average or moderately modded 4x4. nice views at the higher elevations and fun windy paths through the hills. Took a stock Wrangler Rubicon and only scraped the rear bumper on one of the climbs, but that was partially due to not picking the safest line.

great drive! a few hairy climbs that are washed out. when I did it on 1/8 you needed 4wd engaged. I had no issues in my 4runner

Great trails overall. There's something for everyone. Nothing too extreme but there are sections that'll definitely test you. A great place to practice your off-road skills. Best during winter/ spring time.

off road driving

Very rewarding experience once you get to the top no matter what vehicle you take there. It could be extremely easy and difficult at the same time -depending on what trails you go go for - which makes it perfect either for a 4x2 with good clearance or a heavily modified 4x4.

off road driving

Managed this trail in my stock Wrangler Sahara. Definitely worthy of the hard rating. Also the tip about going south to north is accurate. There are a couple of gnarly descents at the end. But overall this is a beautiful trail with lots of fun obstacles.

off road driving

Not very difficult, but fun trail. I did this trail from Rowher to Bouquet several times. First time was around 2011 in a 2009 4x4 Tacoma long bed with a 6" lift on 33's. Never shifted out of 2wd high. Did the trail again with my ex in her stock, 2012 VW Tiguan FWD on street tires. I made it over fine, but there were a couple of areas where taking the right path was key. Also, momentum helped to get through a few parts. The last time I did the trail was 2 weeks ago in my stock 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 4x4 diesel, but did not need 4wd at all. I chose to take the steepest way down to the Bouquet and I put it in 4wd low to let the engine do the braking. I agree it is much easier going south to north, but a stock 4x4 is not required. The fwd Tiguan made it over the mountain just fine.

Nice!