Learn more

Round Top & Winnemucca and Fourth of July Lake

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(99)
Mokelumne Wilderness

Round Top & Winnemucca and Fourth of July Lake is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kirkwood, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 10.0 mi Elevation gain 3,490 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (8)
Contact
Tips

Pristine alpine lakes, picturesque creeks, abandoned mines and glorious summer wildflower displays. Certainly one of the best hikes in the Lake Tahoe area, the trails to Round Top and Winnemucca Lake promise pristine alpine meadows and lakes, fast-flowing creeks, abandoned mines - and in summer, one of the finest wildflower displays to be found anywhere in Northern California. There's something for everybody in this area, which is why our guide also lists enough alternative routes and side-trips to please everybody. Elevation gain: - 2,300ft (from 8,200 - 10,381 ft)

Tips: - Trailhead requires a day-use fee. - Insect repellent is highly advisable, particularly around Woods Lake.Be sure to pack some insect repellent - the bugs around the lake sure are hungry. arson Pass Trail (2m ea/way). Out-and-back route from - If you park at the Carson Pass trailhead you will need a sno-park permit, which is required Nov 1 - May 30. Alternatives: - From Round Top Lake, take the 4 mile round trip to the Southern flanks of Round Top and the Fourth Of July Lake. - Sisters Peak is accessible directly from the ridgeline below the final climb to Round Top, perfect for the determined peak-bagger who wants to add another mountain summit to their list. - Carson Pass Trail offers an alternative route between Winnemucca Lake and Carson Pass. A sno-park permit is required at the Carson Pass alternate trailhead between Nov 1 and May 30 (see our link to sno-park permit vendors).

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (100)
Photos (1134)
Recordings (58)
Completed (208)
Taylor Gardner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!

This loop-style trail is STUNNING. The lakes are gorgeous and everything is pretty well marked. Be warned, those uphills are serious. Particularly, up from Fourth of July and then up to Round summit is a haul. Take your time, especially if not used to elevation, and wear some sunscreen. My only note is my Garmin watch disagreed with the distance claimed here. If you do both out and backs (to Fourth of July and then to Round summit), I show an extra 2ish miles on the route distance.

Mike Siders
HikingFeeGreat!No shadeScramble

This was an incredible trail. I did it in reverse so went up toward Winnemucca first, then hit Round Top, then down to Fourth of July, I think this was likely a bit easier then this route and helped avoid a lot of crowds. Couple things, getting to the actual summit of Round Top seemed very sketchy. We got to the false summit and called it there. Getting to the summit required some climbing and scrambling up very loose rock that was super steep. I wouldn’t recommend that unless you’re very experienced. The views from where we were paid off for sure. The hike down to Fourth of July Lake are amazing and the lake was incredible. Keep in mind you’re gonna have to climb out though and after hitting the summit first, it was a long day. I finished at 12.5 miles and 3500ft of elevation. Overall a really nice hike with incredible views throughout. Also, day use parking was $8. I thought it was only $5 so not sure if they just changed it or I misread, just a FYI. Surprisingly zero bugs too at the lakes, nice bonus.

Moira Fagan Simpson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020

Great trail

View Moira's Recording
Lourdes Guerrero
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

Amazing views and wild flowers, hike is hard but well worth it!

View Lourdes's Recording
James Madewell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Really beautiful up here. Three lakes on the trail including 4th of July lake which is at the end. I took a right turn just before the end and decided to climb to the highest peak and have lunch instead. Cool and super breezy during the morning. Especially, as you get higher up. Temps went up to about 75-80 when I came back down in the afternoon. People with dogs and GOATS lol.

View James 's Recording
C P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 7, 2020
HikingMuddySnow

We did the clockwise loop to Winnemucca Lake and Round Top Lake, and did part of Round Top peak. The wild flowers were incredible and the weather was almost perfect— windy at points, but awesome on the whole. There was a bit of snow just off trail, but we loved it. We love the loop, have done it before and will definitely do it again. I have to say, though, the description of Round Top peak did not do it much justice. I’ve done other hikes on All Trails rated as difficult that felt more accurately moderate. This peak definitely was difficult, but it would be helpful to have more description/heads-up. I look forward to going back and trying the peak another time. I also have to say, the road this hike had you drive in was so washed out as to be impassible. Why did they not direct people to park at Woods Lake, whose area you end up having to walk through anyway? We had to park just off the dirt road (since it was likely the car would otherwise get stuck) and walk an extra mile— not a huge deal on the way in but a definite bummer on the way back.

Gaby Sandel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

super beautiful!!!! not too hard and would definitely recommend going to the fourth of july lake

Brian Atlas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Incredibly beautiful hike pretty much all the way. The Sisters and Round Top Massif is probably the gnarliest looking set of peaks in the Tahoe area. I went up Fourth of July Peak and then most of the way up Round Top, which is pretty steep and challenging.

View Brian's Recording
Jessica Gilbert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
HikingGreat!

Spent the weekend backpacking down to glorious Fourth of July and Lost Lakes. Flowers are starting to bloom, I bet they will be exploding all over in about 2 weeks or so! The scramble up to Round Top provides amazing views. No bugs, fairly warm nights at the lakes (warm by high elevation Sierra standards). I probably could have done with a 20 bag instead of my 0. Remember that you need site-specific permits for the backcountry sites like Winnemucca and Fourth of July in the Carson Pass Management area (sites are numbered). We were checked for backpacking permits by rangers twice! Also, in case you are interested in doing this loop, be aware that Lost Lakes are accessible to vehicles by forest road so its not as lost, quiet, and serene as one might imagine.

Sajan Singh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
Hiking

Pictures don’t do it justice. This place is stunning.

Eric Hamer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
Hiking

I tried to summit Black Butte on the way up, but ran into Private Property signs so I didn't do that. Once I got to Fourth of July Peak, the ridge crawls to Melissa Coray and Covered Wagon Peaks were just too tempting! So a relatively short hike became long. The snow is essentially gone from the trail, just a couple small spots that are easy to go over or around. The views are fantastic along this trail. And today it was warm and sunny and very little wind. Can't ask for more than that. Next time, the goal will be Round Top and the Sisters. It looks like a bit of snow going up to Round Top, but that should be gone soon.

View Eric's Recording
Paige Podust
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Hiked this trail (minus the peak) on June 27 around 8am. Lots of room in the parking lot at that time. Started towards Winnemucca which I highly recommend because it's much less steep than coming straight up to Round Top. Beautiful green valley! Found the first snow patch at Round Top Lake but it was small and easy to go around. There was a mildly sketchy stream crossing at Round Top Lake but doable. Pretty windy the whole time which felt great with the hot sun - there's not much coverage on this hike. The hike down to Fourth of July Lake was long but gorgeous. By the time we reached Fourth of July Lake we had only seen about 10 people but there was a bunch more people all over as we headed back to the car. Only saw one other snow patch on the way back down the Round Top trail but it was crossable with no spikes. Made it back to the car around 2:30 so approximately a 6.5 hr trip which included a 1 hr break at Fourth of July Lake. Trails were very easy to follow. Would recommend!

Hayden Glines
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2020
Hiking

Fantastic trail. There were still patches of snow but those will melt soon.

Solo Her
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 15, 2020
HikingSnow

Snowshoe partial of this trail during winter. Challenging with snowshoes. Very beautiful once you get to the top. I’ve been here in 3 different seasons- spring, winter, summer when the wildflowers bloomed. Each season brings its own beauty and when Blake not in snow it actually looks like a different place.

Clément Anthonioz-Blanc
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 3, 2020
HikingIcySnow

did the trail early May, it was snow from the first step onward. super windy at the top but the views were incredibly beautiful.

View Clément's Recording
Tom Metge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 24, 2020
HikingSnow
View Tom's Recording
Gabriel Mannella
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 13, 2019
Hiking

This is an absolutely beautiful hike, it’s a little loose near the top, but just confirm your footing and you’ll be fine, We did it in November and had the peak all to ourselves! Met some great people on the way back down. This hike never gets old, you have to do it while in Tahoe!

Mark Dunstan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2019
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

I was incredibly lucky with the weather, and had a beautiful late October day with no wind. It was t-shirt weather all the way to the top! The lakes are beautiful, and the scenery is stunning throughout. This trail really has it all. I skipped 4 July lake as I wanted an easier day. This made it a 9 mile route. I only realised when I got back that I hadn’t made the actual summit, which is about 50m east of the point I thought was the top. The final climb to the top was a grade 2/3 scramble (although the route is unclear, so there might be a slightly easier way than the one I went). I saw the actual summit, but thought at the time that I didn’t like the look of the climb down and up again to get to it. If I’d known it was the summit I’d have had a look, but I’m not a fan of down-climbing so may have skipped it anyway. I had the entire mountain top to myself and there was no wind, so I ate my lunch in a t-shirt perched on the highest point I got to. A great day.

Dianne Baxter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2019
Hiking

Definitely one of my favorite hikes! So beautiful! The trails are immaculate! Will do this yearly! I love the loop trail! Loved 4th of July Lake! Pictures can not do it justice!

Glenn Gamble
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 24, 2019
Hiking

did it in high school, fun trip.

Chris Fetterolf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2019
Backpacking

Unreal views, especially from the top. As other reviews mention, I would recommend taking the trail that passes through Winnemucca both directions as opposed to doing a loop. Round Top lake was the more scenic one in my opinion, albeit much windier.