Learn more

Round Mountain is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near Jacumba, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 649 feet Route Type: Out & Back

August 4, 2018, the 100th hike as part of my 1st hiking goal with trekking 100 different hikes without trekking the same trail twice. Only 3.50 RT miles and 645’ elevation gains. Don’t let the short statistics fool you, especially in the summer heat. Great hike!

This is not a moderate trail. The trail is not marked and it is very difficult to follow, you pretty much have to meander all over the desert savanah. Just keep heading toward the big mound of volcanic rock that is the mountain and just make your way up. It is very rocky and steep. I would definitely recommend changing this rating level to hard. P. S. The flag needs to be replaced.

Wed Mar 21 2018

Honestly, the hardest part was finding a trail through the scrub brush and mesquite trees, since there is none. This stuff is definitely full of snakes. Try getting to the base by accessing the small dry wash under the train track bridge. We tried walking around the west side and to the south which was the long way around and found some pesos and other evidence of smuggler activities so always be aware of your surroundings. There is no clear way to the summit but up, so pick a line. Bring a flag (U.S. of course) as the one that’s up there might need to be replaced. Once you get to the top it’ll be worth the effort. You’ll be able to see Jacumba Valley and Mexico, and some of the Coyote Mountains plus all the now little vehicles driving on Interstate 8. The views are amazing! I have driven by this hundreds of times and always wondered how to get up to the top.

Sun Mar 04 2018

Quite difficult I encountered two rattle snakes on two different occasions but if you get past that and the fact that it’s quite steep you’ll make it to the top and have an amazing view... this is a more memorable hike for me because of how visible it is from the highway

Mon Feb 12 2018

We parked under the bridge to get across. We should have parked closer to the gas station to cross all those dead shrubs, trees, etc. There is no trail for this hike but crossing all this is what made it difficult. If we had a machete, it could have saved us lots of time from crossing it to get to the mountain. I highly suggest for ladies to wear pants. I wore shorts and cut up my legs and had thorns in my shoes the whole time. Once we finally crossed we found no trail but made our own. We started on the southwest side of the mountain and came back the same way. I also recommend bring a trekking pole because you are going uphill and downhill. I think it would help you. I didn’t use one, but if I did it again I would. Once you get to the top, it’s a spectacular view! Bring stuff to write on a rock!

Mon Jan 15 2018

We had a very difficult time finding a trail to the mountain. Ended up parking off the Jacumba exit turned right down a dirt road and parked under the freeway. Followed the tracks and then had to make our way through thick shrubbery and trees they have thorns so pants are recommended. There is no path in. Once you get through the shrubs you need to walk to the southeast side to climb. There isn’t a very visible track so we made our own way. It took 3 hours round trip and my Fitbit tracked 4 miles. Definitely bring lots of water and a good walking stick. You will see border patrol helicopters flying since it is so close to the border. We didn’t feel any danger though.

recorded Round Mountain