Romero Canyon Trail is a 8.9 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Santa Barbara, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 km Elevation Gain: 457 m Route Type: Loop

When it's sunny and hot, bring at least 2 liters of water. Long pants recommended, as the trail is a bit overgrown in some places.

Bugs and snakes and birds, oh my!

solid hike. went counterclockwise and enjoyed starting in the open and finishing along side the creek under tree canopy.

I was warned by a mtnbiker about a bear on this trail today! I can't decide if I would have liked to have seen or or not! In the meantime I caught up with another beauty of a snake. There's a young man named Dave who's been VOLUNTEERING and I've seen him almost every time I've been out... clearing and cleaning up the entire trail. It's looks spectacular and it's been great to meet him. THANK YOU DAVE!

Great hike for the most part. ..we went clockwise per previous comments...we got on an Edison connector trail which was very rugged. once we got back on Romero trail it was more reasonable. Beautiful vistas, varied terrain, lots of poison oak. A couple of people saw a rattler; we did not. There were a fair amount of bikers, but not many hikers higher up, but many hikers as we got back to the trail head. This is harder than some of the other moderate trails we've hiked. All in all a challenging, great hike.

Hidden Gem. Bring plenty of water, bug spray, good pair of hiking or running shoes and consider trekking poles. Shared the trail with many bikers, considering investing in one myself. This trail is easy to navigate but moderate in regards to skill level. Carpinteria Beach is just 18min away if you’d like to cool down after.

Windy, windy! Birds, bees and snakes!

It’s actually 7 miles of a beautiful mix of scenery . I really enjoyed it.

Great hike. It was very very foggy up there today and that started burning off at about 1 pm, still cloudy but less so. Beautiful waterfalls in several places. Will be going back. Did the short route to the summit and it was challenging in an amazing way!

My husband and I backpacked this trail to blue canyon for a three day trip. We loved it! Took Old Romero Road on the way up, which is much longer, less steep, and had stunning views. Then we took Romero Trail on the way down, which is a single trek trail featuring a lovely creek. On the way to the top, there is significant elevation gain and a ton of switchbacks. With a pack on, it’s quite the workout but totally doable. Plus, reaching the top before the trail dips back into the canyon is incredibly rewarding. It’s fun to extend this trail to a backpacking trip, since there are so many trails that branch off into the backwoods. We would like to take this backpacking again when we have more time off. I also did the Romero Canyon loop on my own. Hiking at a fairly quick pace, you can do it in two hours. This is also a very popular trail for mountain biking and running. Highly recommend!

A little buggy tonight but that's to be expected, right? I'm loving this trail in the evenings!

I'm so grateful for the guy who is keeping this trail in tip top shape! I've seen him several times recently on the trail and admire him very much. Thank you !!

My go-to trail. Aaaaah.

Trail is in great shape. Only my second time on my bike for this trail and I’m way out of shape so the first .5mi kicked my but, then slow and steady. Way down the canyon was fun and challenging for me, still a novice and on a hard tail. But I made it without issue. Light crowd for a Saturday and lots of water.

I slowed down today. The downhill is just pebbly and slippery. That's easily remedied by doing this trail clockwise! Skies were super clear and the marine layer below was spectacular!

This is just a plain all around great trail. A little bit of everything.... waterfalls, rocks, flowers, sun and filtered shade. Very moderate in all aspects.

Two rattlers and a zillion gnats. I guess it's that time of year!

It was an an all time record setting temperature today in SB. I definitely felt it! Also, extraordinarily windy in the canyon today. Lots of water from the past few weeks has dried up. I can't believe last week I was very cold at the top of the loop!