Rodeo Valley Loop and Slacker Hill

Rodeo Valley Loop and Slacker Hill is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sausalito, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This loop has a slow, meandering (and downhill) start, but it is worth it for the crescendo of views towards the end of the trail, with an expansive view from the East Bay to Alcatraz, San Francisco, and the Golden Gate Bridge. Lunch atop Slacker Hill is a must. Dogs are allowed on parts of this trail, but not on the entire loop.

My favorite hike in this area, just breathtaking views.

Very few people. A little more flattened gravel path than small trail than I hoped. Just rained past few days, the running streams along the trail sound beautiful. Uphills are nice and challenging to run continuously.

Actually 5 stars. But I had to take one star for the wrong description in this app. We walked clockwise the red line and after maybe one or one and a half mile the trail ends. There were huge plastic covered dirt hills overgrown. So we decided to walk further as adventure and found the path again. You better walk after coming down to that one house don’t walk right like the trail line said. Walk straight left, across the street to a gravel road and try to find the way across the little creek. Behind that creek the trail is fine.

Another point: dogs are not allowed on the entire loop trail. Only the first two miles and the last. Do. We walked as outlaws the entire loop with them. But we wouldn’t have chosen that trail if we had known. Lucky us, the views were great.

Nice hike and eventual views of The Bay Area. Would do again. WARNING: we arrived at 9:30am to the small parking and saw two break ins, broken glass on the ground. Sign clearly says break ins occur often, so leave nothing of value in your car. I think that also goes for arriving early, as plenty of bikers and hikers were around that parking lot all day (as far as we arrived and then left). We parked and felt confident enough with all the folk around, the area was busy. This was also a Saturday.

Absolutely amazing.

Amazing experience hiking here. We took the clock wise route - Beautiful mountains, ocean and part of the Golden Gate Bridge towards the end. Overall it took us about 2.5 hours to complete the hike. Definitely recommended!

Hiked clockwise, 5.4 miles, 1 hr 52 min.

This is a gorgeous hike! I recommend going clockwise on the trail (left from parking lot) so you end with the big pay off of the amazing views.

Parked at the small parking lot near the roundabout just off Conzulmen Road. Hiked clockwise downhill to Bunker Road. After crossing Bunker Road the trail is blocked. It is necessary to walk west on Bunker Road for a hundred yards +/-. Turn right on Smith Trail then right on Rodeo Valley Trail and then the map is accurate from that point on. Trail goes uphill for 1.5 miles at a moderate climb, the joins the SCA Trail, then the Coastal Trail, then back to the starting point. Good hike with easy access from Hwy 101.

I did this hike on 12/2/2017. Parked at the traffic circle at Conzulmen and McCullough, and started the trail clockwise. Note that the map is not 100% correct. I crossed Bunker Road per the red line in the map, but the trail as indicated on the map was blocked by large piles of dirt. I guess they're closing that part of the trail and/or doing trail maintenance. So I walked along Bunker road for about a block, then made a right onto Smith Trail, which then connects to the Rodeo Valley Trail.

So you don't make the same mistake as me, just stay straight on the Coastal trail until you get to Bunker Road, then make a left onto Bunker road (there's a trail on the right side of the road you can walk on), then make a right onto Smith Trail. The map is correct from there on out. The trail was peaceful and gradually sloped upwards after crossing Bunker road. You then get to the ridge that has excellent views and options to walk up short offshoots to various viewpoints. It was very beautiful!

Tuesday, July 04, 2017