Rodeo Valley Loop

Rodeo Valley Loop is a 5.2 mile loop trail located near Sausalito, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Explore the Coastal Headlands on the Rodeo valley loop. Enjoy glimpses of the Golden Gate and Pacific Ocean. This is a great area to look for soaring raptors, and other bird species. Take the Rodeo Valley Trail to the Bobcat Trail

I hiked this trail counterclockwise-3 miles uphill then 2 miles down. Very foggy and windy on the day I hiked. 99% of the loop is open with no shade so an overcast day is best for this hike. Took 2 hours to complete.

we started the walk at the roundabout near colzeman rd. There are public toilets at this point but warning, the smell is enough to knock you out. From here we walked into the trail heading west. Once we hit Bunker road the trail as marked on the map failed, it appears as though a local farmer has blocked the path with large mounds of soil or compost. We diverted North joining the Smith trail, then went east joining the rodeo trail to get back on track. From this point until the loop turns into the SCA trail and meets Wolfback ridge trail, it's pretty much straight up for a very long way. The views are worth it though. We saw numerous large birds of prey coasting on the thermals. Spectacular. We took an unmarked trail down to Sausilito where the Wolfback ridge road diverges from the SCA trail through some gorgeous eucalyptus forest - note this part was a bit hairy and narrow. From here we got the ferry back to SFO. Highly recommend this trip

Although the description above includes Mountain Biking as an activity for the Rodeo Valley Loop, some portions of the trail are marked "No Bikes" and portions of it will require most people to walk their bikes (eg, up or down steps). The reward for that is some stretches of beautiful single track - such as along the SCA trail.on the northern part of the loop. Rodeo Valley Trail from SCA downhill to Bunker Road was also marked No Bikes, but not sure why - it's an easy fire road. Watch out for ruts from all the rain, though!

Nice hike. Lots of parking near the start of the trail. Only passed a couple of people on the trail.

The rodeo trail portion is a wide dirt road with a steady moderate uphill grade. It is well traveled by horses and dogs - beware their leavings. The views from the top are excellent and the single track portion of the loop is lovely. Next time we'll opt for a longer loop that sticks to single tracks. The trail is well drained, excellent for rainy and foggy weather hiking.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Stunning views! Very steep in some sections.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

This was my first hike in Marin Headlands (don't count my two amblings to the Point Bonita lighthouse). I took Bobcat Trail up and (Upper) Ridge Valley down. Bobcat Trail is definitely the more scenic gorgeous view of the G Valley as you ascend to the top. Next time, I will definitely loop left through the valley on my descend. However, if short on time, definitely worth it to descend on Ridge Valley path. Flatter and quick easy descend but you will not get getting the sweeping stellar views of the G. Valley.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

I don't see it indicated on the map (?) but I want to make a comment about the Miwok-Bobcat Loop Trail. If you start at the Rodeo Beach area Warehouse, just across the bridge, and hike/run either way up Miwok or Bobcat or vice versa, the distance covered is very close to 6.03 miles. Measured with a wheel a number of times from the gate. That's following the fire road for the entire route. I've been running that trail since 1982.

Sunday, November 22, 2015