Rocky Ridge View, Sycamore, and Devil's Hole Loop Trail

Rocky Ridge View, Sycamore, and Devil's Hole Loop Trail is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Danville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2076 feet

Fun 6 mile hike into a remote area of Las Trampas. Great views East towards Mount Diablo and West towards the Oakland Hills. Hike begins at the very end of Bollinger Canyon Rd at the Las Trampas Staging Area where there is plenty of free parking. Take Rocky Ridge View Trail (paved road) up the hill for .8 miles. The trail turns left onto a single track that runs diagonally up to Rocky Ridge. At the top, follow the Ridge Trail South for .83 miles and enjoy the magnificent views in all directions. Turn right on Sycamore and enjoy the views and rock formations for 1.26 miles to the bottom of the canyon where a creek runs year round. Cross over the creek for a short distance and make a hard left on Devil's Hole Trail. Be prepared for some serious climbing for the next 1.3 miles back up to Rocky Ridge. Turn right on Rocky Ridge Trail for .38 miles and turn left on Elderberry for 1.67 miles mostly through the woods. At the bottom where there are picnic tables, turn left for .37 back to the parking lot.

15 minutes ago

Definitely a solid hike. I'm 26 years old and in moderately good shape and it took me 3 hours with some side trips in total for the loop. I did it clockwise which seemed like a good way to go. I'd highly recommend wearing pants if you do the Sycamore portion of the trail. It's very narrow singletrack and overgrown but still doable. Bring plenty of water as well. I brought just one water bottle but would recommend more. It was a beautiful day today and extremely clear with views of SF and the Golden Gate bridge in the afternoon. Would do it again but I'll be more prepared next time.

The hills are still nice and green.

Really enjoyed the counter clockwise route - saw almost more coyotes than people!

I hiked this loop counter-clockwise, opposite of what the track suggests, and that was pretty tough. Climbing up the ridge via Elderberry is much more gradual than taking the paved path. Hiking up Devil's Hole trail was strenuous.

I suggested an edit as Sycamore trail is not suitable for horses or mountain bikes. There are lots of switchbacks and there are some rocky parts. I really liked this trail, even though it was overgrown and narrow. The terrain was challenging and great for people who are more adventurous. There were a couple downed trees near the bottom where it meets up with Devil's Hole trail. You definitely want to wear pants on Sycamore.

I didn't pass anyone as I hiked up Devil's Hole trail and I only passed one other lone hiker on Sycamore. These trails take you off the beaten path of the ridge. The Rocky Ridge Loop Trail gets much more traffic. I like to avoid the crowds, so this hike was perfect!

There is very little shade on this hike. So be prepared for the sun exposure. Luckily for me it was overcast. But I could see it getting hot in the summer.

Nice challenging hike with two climbs up the ridge (following the proposed route Rocky Ridge View -> Sycamore -> Devil's Hole -> Elderberry) . Elderberry trail was pretty muddy even though it hasn't rained in over a week. Sycamore trail was pretty wild. It was a steep, downhill, overgrown, narrow path with loose soil. I made the mistake of wearing running shoes and shorts. There were also a few felled trees to maneuver past. Would definitely not go down Sycamore trail without proper hiking boots, poles, and long pants to avoid the shrubbery (and a sense of adventure)!

have done this loop several times and still is exciting to me. the area gets covered in carpet of beautiful wildflowers in spring.

Accidentally did the reverse of the proposed trail- really burned my legs out on the incline. Ok hike and weather, but too many people and a lot of dogs.

I have always hiked in the Sierras, and decided to check out the bay area. I prefer the Sierras, but I've heard Muir Woods is a good place to check out.