Rocky Ridge View, Sycamore, and Devil's Hole Loop Trail

Rocky Ridge View, Sycamore, and Devil's Hole Loop Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Danville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1909 feet

Fun 6 mile hike into a remote area of Las Trampas. Great views East towards Mount Diablo and West towards the Oakland Hills. Hike begins at the very end of Bollinger Canyon Rd at the Las Trampas Staging Area where there is plenty of free parking. Take Rocky Ridge View Trail (paved road) up the hill for .8 miles. The trail turns left onto a single track that runs diagonally up to Rocky Ridge. At the top, follow the Ridge Trail South for .83 miles and enjoy the magnificent views in all directions. Turn right on Sycamore and enjoy the views and rock formations for 1.26 miles to the bottom of the canyon where a creek runs year round. Cross over the creek for a short distance and make a hard left on Devil's Hole Trail. Be prepared for some serious climbing for the next 1.3 miles back up to Rocky Ridge. Turn right on Rocky Ridge Trail for .38 miles and turn left on Elderberry for 1.67 miles mostly through the woods. At the bottom where there are picnic tables, turn left for .37 back to the parking lot.

Just hiked it today 8 Miles 1900 ft elevation. Today’s hike Rocky Ridge and Rocky Ridge View out and Back . With an add on towards St Mary’s. Great place to hike especially in the winter drys out fast especially the service road up Rocky Ridge. Been hiking this area for 40 Years

What a great day for a hike with my pup! only reason it is getting a 4 star is because of the mud slides that took out about 10 yards of the trail but they have a path around it! it is partially paved and part dirt/rock

This was a great hike for our dogs. In the beginning you do a fairly strenuous upward hike for the first 1.5 miles. You are on a service road in the beginning. Once you hit the top it is all downward for the last 4.5 miles. Hard to get lost and don’t need a lot of preparation. There is little protection from the sun or wind as you hike the middle portion as it is on the ridge. One may want to bring a windbreaker if you tend to get cold. The last mile was in a groove of trees so was fairly protected from the sun. We brought our 2 dogs and they had a good workout. They chased the cows for a bit so be aware that there are live stocks if you walk your dogs off lease. It was a cool day for our hike so didn’t need a lot of water. Bring a little snack if you tend to get hungry.

Beautiful views, good hills. Fossils, birds, caterpillars, and a good work out.

Hard but worth the effort. Excellent View!!!

You will likely be alone once you get out into the Devils Hole trail or Sycamore. The trail is challenging and beautiful. Poison oak is plentiful especially near the creek at the sycamore/devil junction.

Definitely a solid hike. I'm 26 years old and in moderately good shape and it took me 3 hours with some side trips in total for the loop. I did it clockwise which seemed like a good way to go. I'd highly recommend wearing pants if you do the Sycamore portion of the trail. It's very narrow singletrack and overgrown but still doable. Bring plenty of water as well. I brought just one water bottle but would recommend more. It was a beautiful day today and extremely clear with views of SF and the Golden Gate bridge in the afternoon. Would do it again but I'll be more prepared next time.

The hills are still nice and green.

Really enjoyed the counter clockwise route - saw almost more coyotes than people!

I hiked this loop counter-clockwise, opposite of what the track suggests, and that was pretty tough. Climbing up the ridge via Elderberry is much more gradual than taking the paved path. Hiking up Devil's Hole trail was strenuous.

I suggested an edit as Sycamore trail is not suitable for horses or mountain bikes. There are lots of switchbacks and there are some rocky parts. I really liked this trail, even though it was overgrown and narrow. The terrain was challenging and great for people who are more adventurous. There were a couple downed trees near the bottom where it meets up with Devil's Hole trail. You definitely want to wear pants on Sycamore.

I didn't pass anyone as I hiked up Devil's Hole trail and I only passed one other lone hiker on Sycamore. These trails take you off the beaten path of the ridge. The Rocky Ridge Loop Trail gets much more traffic. I like to avoid the crowds, so this hike was perfect!

There is very little shade on this hike. So be prepared for the sun exposure. Luckily for me it was overcast. But I could see it getting hot in the summer.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Nice challenging hike with two climbs up the ridge (following the proposed route Rocky Ridge View -> Sycamore -> Devil's Hole -> Elderberry) . Elderberry trail was pretty muddy even though it hasn't rained in over a week. Sycamore trail was pretty wild. It was a steep, downhill, overgrown, narrow path with loose soil. I made the mistake of wearing running shoes and shorts. There were also a few felled trees to maneuver past. Would definitely not go down Sycamore trail without proper hiking boots, poles, and long pants to avoid the shrubbery (and a sense of adventure)!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

have done this loop several times and still is exciting to me. the area gets covered in carpet of beautiful wildflowers in spring.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Accidentally did the reverse of the proposed trail- really burned my legs out on the incline. Ok hike and weather, but too many people and a lot of dogs.

I have always hiked in the Sierras, and decided to check out the bay area. I prefer the Sierras, but I've heard Muir Woods is a good place to check out.

Monday, July 11, 2016

The shell mound is cool, lots of lizards, saw some deer and a rattlesnake once right in the middle of the trail. Oh and cows! You can see SF from the top if it's clear.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Tough incline at first but views are amazing and overall a great hike!!

Thursday, July 07, 2016

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Hike is a serious cardio work out if you follow the proposed trail and include Sycamore and Devil's Hole Trails in your route.

Going down Sycamore Trail from the Ridge is a bit of a scramble.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Quite steep, but the view is definitely worth the climb. The trail map provided by the park is not very helpful. Half the time we couldn't tell where we were and no one else on the trail was sure either. Despite that, it's a challenging hike with a reward at the top :) I definitely plan to do it again.

Monday, April 11, 2016

Great!! Not for beginners lots of hills

Monday, April 11, 2016

Great workout if you do the full loop! With 2 steep climb it's excellent cardio. Do it!

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

Pretty strenuous at first but well worth it . More signs would help with directions but we found our way eventually ! View was great

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Great hike! Lots and lots of hills to get to the top, but it's worth it for the view!! Gorgeous! I'll definitely do this hike again!

Monday, February 01, 2016

This is a good trail. It definitely get your heart pumping with repeating steep grades if you follow the documented path. There are alternate trails which make it easier, but still fun on a sunny cool day. There is some overhead cover at different spots on the trail. I've hiked during Fall and Winter. It could be a different experience during Spring and Summer. There are porta-potties at trail head.

These trails are range roads primarily. There are several of them. Keep focus on Alltrails app or you can walk a different trail than what is documented here.

If during colder days after you reach the time, it gets cold with the wind blowing. After rainy season, water run-off has several spots that are really muddy and slippery; and when descending, be ready to "surf" down the mud and prepare for the sudden stop at vegetation again. So take a spare set of shoes after the hike.

I hike this with my 19 and 18 years old sons. They enjoy it too because there is a lot of things to see in the 6 miles.

The only part of the trail I don't like is the paved part, but it is a small part of the entire trail.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

My group and I had lots of fun on this trail. We arrived early and finished before noon.

It was wet and rainy, which made for a muddy experience. But all the more fun if you ask me. Lots of newts on the trail.

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Great views of the area. The hike is moderate, our family enjoyed hiking to the top of the hill. We will go there again soon.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Las Trampas has something for every level and/or mood. There are some short, easy trails, but you can easily create longer and more intense paths through the network. Bring plenty of food and water as it does get hot in the summer and there are long open stretches.