Learn more

Rocky Ridge View and Elderberry Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(465)
Las Trampas Wilderness Regional Preserve

Rocky Ridge View and Elderberry Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alamo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,112 feet Route Type: Loop

Take a stroll around the tall rolling grassy hills east of San Francisco in the Las Trampas Regional Wilderness. You climb almost 1000 feet in the first mile, but then it’s an easy amble along the ridge with stunning views in every direction. Wildflower lovers will love the springtime scenery of Las Trampas Regional Wilderness, but when the blooms have faded this East Bay park still has plenty to marvel at. Eagle-eyed hikers in autumn and winter will spot birds of prey amongst the gliding turkey vultures, and there's also the chance of a golden eagle sighting.

Great Hike! But, the trail up clockwise is definitely hard not moderate. It is straight up for at least a mile and half. It is worth it at the top. The views are amazing. Bring water. We ran into a rattlesnake too. I clocked 5.9 miles with very little getting off trail.

Great trail - all nicely groomed! It took us an 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Wonderful hike. We went up the steep trail side by the bathrooms and maps. The hike up I'd rate closer to hard and not moderate. Definitely a steep climb. However, once you reach the top of the ridge, the hike becomes easy. The view is spectacular. Well worth the hike up. Going down the Elderberry Trail was nicely shaded and we saw several cows. There were a few minor hills that you need to climb but not nearly as challenging as the hike we took on the way up. I would say the hike was closer to hard do to the strenuous walk up and the length of the hike. My Fitbit showed the hike closer to 8 miles (we did take a few detours once we were on the ridge). Also the ridge had no shade so would recommend sunscreen.

This is a pretty hike with some wild flowers and cool views of the Bay. On the downside, there is little shade on the ridge so not great for hot days. Also, there are tons of bugs and lots of people on this trail.

Great hike. It’s a go to hike esp if you are living in Danville / San Ramon area. It’s our gym alternative these days. Dogs are allowed which is a bonus!!

We had a great hike yesterday on this trail. We took it counterclockwise and I would definitely recommend that route. You get your climb mostly done with at the beginning and then can enjoy the spectacular views. We were able to see SF and the Golden Gate Bridge (as clouds moved across it). The Elderberry Trail has some shade, which you do not get on the Ridge trail. At times, there were quite a few people who did not give as much space as I would have preferred. Most of the trails are relatively wide, with a few exceptions.

Wear the correct hiking- trails shoes! Even with correct shows, my feet were killing me, since most of the trail is entirely up hill and then back down! The view at the top is worth it though

Simply stated this is our favorite local hiking trail

What a beautiful trail! This was exactly what we needed after a long stressful week. Not going to lie, I almost had a panic attack when we found ourselves surrounded by cows but my son helped me get through it and at the end was able to laugh about how scared I was . Hardly any shade. I would suggest you bring plenty of water and maybe some fruit of a small snack to keep you going. I really recommend this trail and most definitely plan on returning.

Killer hike up to the ridge but once on top amazing views. Tons of poopies everywhere. A must hike in April to enjoy the wildflowers.

Flowers are incredible

Tons of golden poppies this year. I highly recommend this trail in late April.

Awesome trail great hills and beautiful poppy views

Up up up! Rocky View to Elderberry. Very hard in the beginning for about 1.5 miles. Beautiful day for a great hike. Gorgeous view of Mt Diablo and the poppies! Very windy at the top. Lots of dogs off leash. On the bright side, I only found 2 pieces of trash during this hike

Excelent! By far my favorite hike. You can see for miles, and on a clear day you can see the Sierras. Gets crowded after 2 to 3

Absolutely beautiful. The steep incline is at the beginning: challenging but so glad it was first and out of the way. The dogs loved it here too. Definitely coming back.

Nice hike for a cool, clear day. We did this hike, plus a small side excursion down the Sycamore trail to the wind caves and back up. At different points in this hike it was possible to see San Francisco, Oakland, the refineries up near Martinez, Mt. Diablo, Danville and Pleasanton. There were a few cows in the trail, but they were easy to get around. Brought our dog who was able to be off-leash most of the time. It's pretty exposed, so would be too hot in the summer. But for mid March it was great.

Great views at the top. Be prepared for a big climb at the beginning.. but great workout.

beautiful but really windy today

Beautiful, lots of cows close to trail :)

Very pretty but muddy. Note that the parking lot gets closed and locked at 5:30 pm. We parked at noon with the intention of doing this hike but we got lost and at 4pm found ourselves on the FAR side of the park. Thank goodness for uber! $20 later we were at our car with ten minutes to spare until it was locked in. A huge thanks to the gentleman mountain biker who provided directions.

A long trek to the top but worth. Beautiful views.

Awesome views at the top. I could see the bay bridge and SF. Pretty cool!

Great weather with clear ridge views. Some sticky mud the last mile, but very manageable. Highly recommend counter clockwise.