Learn more

Ring Mountain via Loop and Phyllis Ellman Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(238)
Ring Mountain Open Space Preserve

Ring Mountain via Loop and Phyllis Ellman Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Corte Madera, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 715 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

Ring Mountain is part of the Marin County Parks Open Spaces offering amazing 360 degree views of Tiburon, Corte Madera, and on a clear day, even across the bay into San Francisco. The main trail itself is rather short and steep in some sections which provide an elevation gain of 500+ ft (depending where you start). There are several trails throughout the open space to explore and there is also multiple access points to the top. Trail activities include: hiking, walking, trail running, photography, wildflowers, birding, and rock climbing at Turtle Rock.

Good trail to enjoy a 360 view of the bay area

Steep at first and then goes downhill a bit! I was kind of confused about where the loop went but I think I figured it out. No shade but it wasn’t too hot. A few people on the trails!

We love this trail. We just moved here and we’ve already done it a ton of times. Lots of amazing views throughout. It’s steep at first but then it levels out.

Fun hike because of the amazing view at the end. You can see the majority of the bay from the top. Great views especially of Tiburon and Belvedere. There isn’t a lot of shade so beware. Trail is easy to navigate and makes for a great morning hike due to its length of only 3 miles. Decent amount of climb in the beginning to get your heart going.

Great trail! Medium traffic. Lots of poison oak though so watch where you walk.

Good mostly dry single track trail up to ridge line that gives view of Larkspur to the north, Oakland across the Bay to the east and San Francisco to the south with Sausalito right below.

I were here in 6/5/20. it is easy to find parking. It was steep to hiking up to the top of the mountain in short distance. But when I got up to the turtle rock, it was fun. It is the most amazing 360 degree view. Oh ... boy, I was able to see Oakland, Tiburon, Richmond Bridge, Bay Bridge, GGB, SF bay, Mount Tamalpais, and a lot more. There are several trails up there. Rocks to climb, trees to take pictures, wildflowers, deers... I loved this trail a lot since not many people know about it yet. It is so peaceful and relaxing. I will come back spend more time to hike all over of Ring Mountain.

A bit windy and I needed to keep the trail map open not to veer off course

Views of the entire bay !

Quick, well-maintained loop with nice 360 views of North Bay and SF on clear days. Climbs are only moderate so is pretty family-friendly. Not much shade, but relatively cool on a March Sunday morning. Street side parking is limited, but did not have trouble finding a space near the trailhead.

I really like this trail. Normally I don't like short trails with this many people, but I'm guaranteed to see wildlife here so I keep coming. One of my go-to spots!

22lb pack. Beautiful day and felt very strong

One of the best trails in Marin. It has something of everything - savannah, streams, dense forest, mountain climb, and city view. I take all my friends here!

We hiked it on January 4 and it was pretty muddy and rocky. Both Mark and I slept at least once. Not recommended for this time of year.

Very very muddy! But beautiful hike. Both of us fell and slipped on the mud at one point. Also spotted a coyote that was watching us and our dog from afar! Other than that this would be a great hike for the summer time when it’s less muddy and wet outside.

A fairly easy trail with amazing views. Also a bit of history as there was an indigenous settlement here at one time. It’s a place that feels ancient, even with some modern “ruins” of some kind of concrete pillars and foundations (some kind of govt installation, at a guess). Take a snack-there are lots of great table rocks to take a break on.

Pretty easy hike with a few moderate parts. Unbelievable views with a couple cool boulders throughout. Would definitely do again with the whole family!

Dog friendly! Excellently challenging hike.

Beautiful views of the bay. Completely exposed, so don’t go on a hot day. Conversely, it can be chilly on when windy.

Gorgeous trail. It is moderate as there is a lot of rocks and consistently uphill for the first mile of the loop. Gorgeous views as you climb up. My 5 and 7 year old enjoyed it.

Sat Apr 13 2019

An excellent place to see a wide variety of wildflowers. Nice views of San Francisco/Richmond/Marin County/the Bay.