Rim Trail via Olmstead Loop Trail

Rim Trail via Olmstead Loop Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cool, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 587 feet Route Type: Loop

Water in some parts, couldn’t cross. Lots of figs and berries on the trail. Also, a bear.

Yeah, that sucked. It shouldn’t take so long to walk on such a low elevation change. Between the overgrown paths with blackberry bushes and sticky bushes, and the wide streams you have to get wet/caked with mud on, that was just terrible. There are so many trails and retired/rabbit trails that we would have gotten lost, but it did make it easier to bug out half way through.

Easy to get lost Need to follow the gps

$10 to self parking. TICKS EVERYWHERE! Pulled atleast 60 ticks off of each dog & atleast 10 off of me and my bf! The trail was nice, pretty easy to follow but some parts were flooded out and muddy. The lake area isnt very inviting and it's also hard to get to. The trail goes from shady to wide open, out in the sun throughout the whole duration. One plus side was it was pretty empty on a Saturday afternoon and we only seen a few other people, from a distance, accessing the trail.

recorded Recording - Apr 20, 11:43 AM

very muddy at parts, even flooded in some, and lots of ticks. otherwise a great trail.

bridge out

It would be a nice trail but the rains have washed out most of the trail. Super muddy. Wasn’t pleasant. If conditions were better, would have been a great trail.

This was a nice scenic walk through the green Foothills. This trail had just about everything ponds, streams, waterfalls, sun and shade. It was a little muddy and flooded in some areas due to the recent rain which made us alter our path a little, but since there are so many little trails that connect to the big loop we didn’t have any problems getting around.

Hike to find Knickerbocker Falls with Shanti and Chris.

With Shanti trying find Knickerbocker falls.

Extremely muddy paths and wasn’t able to cross the creek

I hiked this trail in January so it had rained recently. There were a few streams cutting through the trail path, most you are able to just go through without a problem, I did get my feet soaked at a couple locations, but other times I had to back track and pick a different path due to the depth of the water. This was not a big deal to me but keep that in mind if you are planning on hiking it during the wet months. Overall, it’s a beautiful and peaceful hike.

I did the full Olmstead Loop. This is a pretty hike on a beautiful fall day. The trails are mostly flat, with a few uphill climbs around Knickerbocker Creek. Saw a coyote and many birds. I got a tick despite wearing long sleeves and pants, so I’ll wear bugspray next time.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Not dog friendly at all. Routes are super narrow and covered with ticks and thornbushes. Removed close to 60 ticks over 3 hours. Definitely will not do again

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Ticks and relatively boring hike. This trail is actually not the Olmstead loop either. I was midway through the hike and realized I’ve been following Olmstead loop and not the AllTrails outlined loop.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Good hike. You feel that work out.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

What a lovely nature hike this trail was! The trail is easy to lose, and my husband and I found ourselves turned around here and there, but it was in those moments that we stumbled on a lizard, a garter snake, a turtle poking its head out of a lake, a gorgeous lakeside trail, puddles full of tadpoles, and the sweetest duck couple paddling through what looked to be a small man made canal. There’s little ponds and streams everywhere and two big, gorgeous lakes, all teeming with various creatures. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much life on a hike actually. And the hills are rolling with greenery and wildflowers. Really enjoyed this hike!

Monday, March 19, 2018

It's a pretty nice trail! Did the full loop this morning. Took me 4 hours to hike the whole thing. It was pretty muddy. The trail seemed like a small creek at some parts! Be prepared to bring some good hiking shoes for this! The trail is marked out fairly well. A few of the mile markers are scratched off though. There was maybe two times thy I had to take a minute to figure out where I was going but it was fairly easy to figure out. Views are decent, nothing too crazy. But overall, a solid hike! Just wish it wasn't so muddy.

Sunday, March 11, 2018