Rice Canyon Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chula Vista, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 216 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fantastic morning hike with the wife! We started out around 6:30, definitely start early during Summer there is little to no shade on the trail. It was very nice, quiet with plenty of birds and rabbits to keep us company! Will absolutely be hiking this on a regular bases.

This morning August 6 2019 was 75° around 9am. The trail was beautiful and very well maintained! Light traffic. No snakes only rabbits. My friend and I enjoyed our walk.

I love this trail. It is beautiful with a few stream crossings. We even saw a skunk drinking water from the creek. The trail is very over grown which made it hard on my dog. The brush was right at his eye level, poor guy. We went about a mile and a half in then turned around and did the East Canyon trail instead.

And the wild weeds and plants get taller and taller on the side trail. It was hard to get through in some places, but so much fun. I will be sorry when it all goes brown soon.

I hiked this trail on a Sunday afternoon. A family of hikers we're just leaving as I got there. While I was hiking a trail runner passed me. Actually a snail could have passed me as I stopped to view the birds, butterflies, plants and a rabbit. I was on a schedule so I hiked a half hour then turned back . Overall an enjoyable hike. I would definitely recommend it for beginning hikers. It was really cool that many of the plants had signs. Don't forget to bring water. I tried to post activities, but it only let me post one so I'm going to type some out. Walking, Hiking, trail running, bird watching, and wildlife viewing,

Sweet Canyon Space. Some trails not as maintained well as other immediate trails. Spring time flower bloom is amazing!

Great trail for a quick easy run as well as hike. I would definitely recommend this trail to anyone that is seeking a quick easy hike or run.

Another beautiful and quiet day on the trail. We explored, ran and listened to nature. Even heard the chirping of young coyotes

Good for quick ride!! Sweet trail

From H st to E st. Going thru terra nova to Bonita this trail has so much to see. For the most part it was very quiet and back to nature. The birds sang and we had a fellow traveler walking along side us- a coyote. Love this place.

Really a beautiful running trail. nicely maintained.

perfect for running, wide trail, tranquil, and easily accessible from parking lot

very easy, but enjoyable hike. beautiful cactus.

Monday, June 18, 2018

Nice cactus garden at the entrance...and plenty of cacti along the trail! I love cactus, so that's a big reason why I gave this trail four stars. Instead of the loop, Patty and took the path up to the park on the other side. It was a steep hill! All in all, a fun little hike.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

5 stars for what this trail is. It is NOT a hike! I use it to get from one trail to another, but I would never still to this trail alone. If you are going to bike it there is a trail that runs parallel to the south that is noted on the map. That's a fun short ride.

Monday, April 30, 2018

perfect for an easy "rest day" hike.

Sunday, April 08, 2018

nice easy Sunday hiking trail .

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

A really nice place to walk or mountain bike... The Ranger keeps this park really nice...

Saturday, October 21, 2017

nice and flat hike. brought the kiddo and she made it 1 mile in and I couldn't be prouder. very exposed, so avoid midday unless you have some cloud coverage.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Wide and Incredibly boring, with some downhill sections I guess.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Good quick bike ride

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Definitely not a hike by any means, just a nice easy walk. I went on a Saturday evening and saw 4 other people. Very easy, nice little trail for some alone time.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

the loop is great

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

flat. good for a run. too public and we'll worn for me

Monday, January 16, 2017

Great for a quick walk, but in the summer watch out for rattle snakes. Dogs often off leashes.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Nice trail fro getting out for a bit. Nice and flat, path is wide.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

You'd think that cacti would be boring to look at but this is a really pretty trail. We went in September and it was really nice. Definitely will be going again.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Nice trail

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

It's an easy walking/running trail. The location is why it got an extra star. It's a little gem in the middle of the suburbs. There is minimal parking at the trail head but more is available at the park across the street. There's no view but the tidy path and shrubbery make up for it. With summer here most of the shrubs are brown but that's just incentive to come back during spring. The only con is that people are not picking up their dog droppings...so disrespectful.