Rice Canyon Trail

Rice Canyon Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Chula Vista, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice cactus garden at the entrance...and plenty of cacti along the trail! I love cactus, so that's a big reason why I gave this trail four stars. Instead of the loop, Patty and took the path up to the park on the other side. It was a steep hill! All in all, a fun little hike.

5 stars for what this trail is. It is NOT a hike! I use it to get from one trail to another, but I would never still to this trail alone. If you are going to bike it there is a trail that runs parallel to the south that is noted on the map. That's a fun short ride.

perfect for an easy "rest day" hike.

nice easy Sunday hiking trail .

A really nice place to walk or mountain bike... The Ranger keeps this park really nice...

nice and flat hike. brought the kiddo and she made it 1 mile in and I couldn't be prouder. very exposed, so avoid midday unless you have some cloud coverage.

Wide and Incredibly boring, with some downhill sections I guess.

Good quick bike ride

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Definitely not a hike by any means, just a nice easy walk. I went on a Saturday evening and saw 4 other people. Very easy, nice little trail for some alone time.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

the loop is great

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

flat. good for a run. too public and we'll worn for me

Monday, January 16, 2017

Great for a quick walk, but in the summer watch out for rattle snakes. Dogs often off leashes.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Nice trail fro getting out for a bit. Nice and flat, path is wide.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

You'd think that cacti would be boring to look at but this is a really pretty trail. We went in September and it was really nice. Definitely will be going again.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Nice trail

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

It's an easy walking/running trail. The location is why it got an extra star. It's a little gem in the middle of the suburbs. There is minimal parking at the trail head but more is available at the park across the street. There's no view but the tidy path and shrubbery make up for it. With summer here most of the shrubs are brown but that's just incentive to come back during spring. The only con is that people are not picking up their dog droppings...so disrespectful.

Friday, July 01, 2016

great hike very easy they have a parking lot not in residential area

Thursday, May 26, 2016

The address listed brings you to a residence but the park with the trail is right near that address off of the main road. The trail was long and scenic with only one small hill to climb. It was 4.30 miles total out and back. I'd definitely go back.

Friday, April 01, 2016

My husband and I brought our 6 year old son here about a week ago... And my son loved it!
It's at it's prettiest just after a good rain fall... But even when it's dry there are puddles with tadpoles, a bunch of different types of birds, lizards and people going down steep hills on their bikes lol.
It's super easy to walk but make sure you bring water and wear a hat :)

Thursday, March 31, 2016

It was ok

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Great for trail running . Lot of bikes. Careful don't go alone. Some noises of peopel probably living/hiding in the bushes

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Nice walk. Easy, unless you decide to get radical and go off the trail

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Not bad. Mostly flat and a great start for any beginners

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Nice walk !

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

It was great. I pretty much had the trail to myself. Went mid morning, nice and quiet once you get a little ways in there. There's a little water running thru the creek that runs parallel to the trail. A lot of flowers along the sides and small wildlife. I'd do it again.

Friday, May 30, 2014

The trail is a real easy trail to walk, I took my wiener dog and my baby in his stroller. very easy very pleasant and not hard at all. I will come here again it's a very pleasant walk and it's not hard to find and it's very close to the city I recommend this trail to anyone of all skill levels. .I sugest you read Afoot and Afield is a book about trails in San Diego.

Monday, November 25, 2013

Great straight trail!! Not hard at all, up and down small hills. Nice long good jog, and easy. Great for dogs to exercise.

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

This trail is relatively flat with a couple small, short ups & downs. It's best for walking, jogging, running or biking. At one part of the trail you have to cross the street to connect but it's marked. If you're unsure of which way to go the map on the app is helpful in directing you!

Friday, September 07, 2012

This trail if done the full length is approx. 3.5 miles long. At the trail head you'll pass a park office, the trail goes straight in front of you, but look to your left and look for a small foot trail. This trail is about 1 mile long and you will see a small waterfall and some great flower plants on the trail. I found the biggest flower ever from this area. You must go in the spring time.