Learn more

Rhododendron Trail is a 11.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Orick, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 11.4 mi Elevation gain 2,631 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (43)
Recordings (14)
Completed (36)
Justen Sidles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 23 2018

good hike this one, and seldom used compared to others , and this the one that can kick your butt lol so fun .. great mix of everything , creeks , ridges ,has it all

Randy Kir
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Oct 06 2017
Hiking

We just did a couple of miles because we were shirtless n time. But its a really beautiful hike with amazing trees and dense ground cover (Rhododendrons). We did it as a leisurely stroll and enjoyed it.

Tiffany M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 09 2017

Beautiful trail

Mary Maya
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Dec 30 2016

Absolutely amazing! I could have kept on going if I did don't have to pick up my husband from fishing. I will do this hike again. I had my six year old with me and she also loved it. There are a few steep areas. She's a trooper so I wasn't worried. If you want to get lost in one if the most beautiful places, visit this trail. We were basically alone but we also went hiking in late December.

Bill Crain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 20 2016
Hiking

Did the other half of the trail while it was still light today along with a couple of other trails. So far, this is hands down the best trail I've done in the park. It has some very unusual awesome aspects that few trails ever have. There are a couple of downed old growth redwoods that are actually part of the trail and there are a few trees that you walk through on the trail. One is maybe the best I've seen. I had my 3rd camera failure in as many weeks or I'd have some awesome pics. So far, this is the best trail in northern Ca or southern Or that I have done. Don't miss this one!

Bill Crain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Dec 14 2016
Hiking

I only did the half from South Fork to the end and from what I could see it was beautiful. I took a wrong turn and did the end in very low light conditions. It was past dark and very rainy when I finished. Glad I had my headlamp with me..... Things to do...put extra batteries in my pack. First time I've had to use the headlamp on a trail... I'll do the entire trail on purpose on another day preferably in dry, summer weather.

Bob Mueller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 28 2016

Great

John Springer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri May 22 2015

This is another great trail in the Prairie Creek park, which is truly a national gem. But I didn't see any Rhododendrons. Lots of Trillium though! Did not do whole trail, but got a 5 mile round trip in.

Nancy Valpey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 05 2011
Hiking

This trail is by far one of my favorites. I have not done the complete trail. Usually go as far as the first log bridge over a small water fall, about 1 mile. After starting at the road, Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway, you quickly come upon some of the most beautiful trees on the planet. I especially love the many trillims that are in bloom in early part of May. The air seems to have more oxygen than other places which I attribute to there being sooo.. many ferns. Some of them are taller than I am! It is not the easiest trail as it goes uphill most of the way to the bridge but it is not that difficult and definitly worth a little effort.

John B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Sep 26 2019
View John's Recording
Cato Iyengar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 04 2019
Vaibhav Bajaj
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 29 2019
View Vaibhav's Recording
Linden Lentz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 13 2019
View Linden's Recording
Sarah Brandenburg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Mar 23 2019
Mike Siders
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Nov 10 2018
View Mike's Recording
哆啦 A梦
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 06 2018
Kelly Bitzer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon May 21 2018
View Kelly's Recording
Michelle Kelley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Mar 21 2018
Linden Lentz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 23 2017
View Linden's Recording
Becca Edwards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 27 2017
View Becca's Recording