Rhododendron Trail

Rhododendron Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Orick, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Beautiful trail

Absolutely amazing! I could have kept on going if I did don't have to pick up my husband from fishing. I will do this hike again. I had my six year old with me and she also loved it. There are a few steep areas. She's a trooper so I wasn't worried. If you want to get lost in one if the most beautiful places, visit this trail. We were basically alone but we also went hiking in late December.

Did the other half of the trail while it was still light today along with a couple of other trails. So far, this is hands down the best trail I've done in the park. It has some very unusual awesome aspects that few trails ever have. There are a couple of downed old growth redwoods that are actually part of the trail and there are a few trees that you walk through on the trail. One is maybe the best I've seen. I had my 3rd camera failure in as many weeks or I'd have some awesome pics. So far, this is the best trail in northern Ca or southern Or that I have done. Don't miss this one!

I only did the half from South Fork to the end and from what I could see it was beautiful. I took a wrong turn and did the end in very low light conditions. It was past dark and very rainy when I finished. Glad I had my headlamp with me..... Things to do...put extra batteries in my pack. First time I've had to use the headlamp on a trail... I'll do the entire trail on purpose on another day preferably in dry, summer weather.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Great

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Friday, May 22, 2015

This is another great trail in the Prairie Creek park, which is truly a national gem. But I didn't see any Rhododendrons. Lots of Trillium though! Did not do whole trail, but got a 5 mile round trip in.

Sunday, June 05, 2011

This trail is by far one of my favorites. I have not done the complete trail. Usually go as far as the first log bridge over a small water fall, about 1 mile. After starting at the road, Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway, you quickly come upon some of the most beautiful trees on the planet. I especially love the many trillims that are in bloom in early part of May. The air seems to have more oxygen than other places which I attribute to there being sooo.. many ferns. Some of them are taller than I am! It is not the easiest trail as it goes uphill most of the way to the bridge but it is not that difficult and definitly worth a little effort.