Reyes Peak via Chorro Grande Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(18)
Los Padres National Forest

Reyes Peak via Chorro Grande Trail is a 14 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 14.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,897 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take Maricopa Highway (Hwy 33) north from Ojai until about the 36 mile marker. Keep your eyes open for a trail head sign on the right and parking on the left. The trail begins with a quaint gentle ascent through a recently burned area just off Hwy 33. There are some photogenic rock formations through this section, so have your camera at the ready. At about 1.75 miles in, the scenery changes from a recovering grassland area to some sparse live oaks and chaparral. The appropriately named Oak Camp will be on your left side. This is a nice place take a break should you need it. From Oak Camp all the way north to the road traversing Pine Mountain, the climb will be much more "moderate" than the rest of the trail. Trekking poles help here both going up and especially back down. You ascend through traditional SoCal chaparral and the view to the south really starts to open up around the 4 mile/6000ft mark. Eventually you will make it the pine trees scattered across the top of Pine Mountain. The last little push to the road can be a quad burner, but its not as bad as something like Sturtevant Trail/Mount Wilson. When you reach the road, turn right (east) and proceed to the Reyes Peak Trailhead. The challenge of walking this road is zero, so take the time to have a snack and hydrate up for your last push to Reyes. After the trail head restroom area, proceed down the fire road until you come to a split. Here you will bear left. You will almost immediately see a sign pointing the way to Haddock Peak. Stop here and look to the right for a vague trail ascending steeply up the hill. This is the trail to Reyes Peak. The left trail is Haddock Peak. The far right trail/fireroad wraps around Reyes Peak to the south. The vague middle trail actually takes you to the summit. The final push to Reyes is touch steep, but very manageable. Follow the trail up to a large outcropping of brown boulders with reddish tint. This is the peak. If you scramble up the boulders, you will find the survey marker. If that is not your thing, go around the right side of the outcropping and you will find a nice clearing for pictures and lunch. And now you get to see it all in reverse. Enjoy!

The snow has finally melted!

icy

They trimmed back the brush which is nice, especially the sharp succeeds, the chopped then back. There weren’t a lot of flies but I had two ticks on me so be sure to check yourself. There was some pretty deep ice/snow on pine mountain road (ankle deep). I made to the last steep part but there was some covering it so I just turned back. I was slipping and sliding last time I did it and there wasn’t any snow.

icy

This is a beautiful trail, especially after about the 5th mile where the views are fantastic when you get up to the pines, which are nice in of themselves. At about 6300 ft there was still snow that got quite deep on the Reyes Peak trail and pretty icy going to the peak. there is plenty of water along the way and plenty of ticks at lower elevations, so come prepared. on IG @picbynathan

icy

I chose this trail as a slow re-entry to hiking after the holidays. It was a bit steeper and snowier than anticipated which did not make for a smooth return to my Sunday hikes. However, it was really a beautiful trail and I was able to make it to within a mile of Reyes Peak in early January. Will return again in a few months to go the rest of the way once the snow clears. Bring snow shoes if you intend to make it to the peak this January. I was going to rate the trail lower because the first two miles were pretty overgrown. However, on my return trip I ran into several volunteers clearing the very debris that vexed me on the ascent. So now I’m a huge fan of Los Padres, its volunteers, and Mickey, the ranger who led today’s group!

I would wear pants because some parts are overgrown a little bit. Once you hit the pines you’re in the shade, which is nice but you will also be assaulted by flies so be prepared. I didn’t go all the way to Reyes peak because I already had nice views and my legs were pretty tired. But I’m pretty sure the total would have been more like 15 miles if I made it. Also there is a restroom at the Reyes peak trailhead.

Sun Dec 31 2017

The trail is very dense with vegetation due to the fact that it is not traveled often. I got poison oak on the trail because of it, make sure to be well clothed. Very dry also. There seems to have been a fire as many trees are charred. The view is quite nice though. Great view of the mountains and ocean with the nearby islands.

Fri Nov 03 2017

A nice break from the crowds in the San Gabriels and the traffic getting there. I did not see another hiker on the trail. The summit is a bit anticlimactic, but I feel this hike is about the journey getting there and that journey is very neat.

Sun Mar 31 2019