Red Rocks to Gibraltar Dam Trail

Red Rocks to Gibraltar Dam Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Santa Barbara, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

love it. take the connector trail on the fire road near the start it's a great view steep....straight up...

great hike as always..i haven't been here in a couple of years, too bad the streams are just about completely dried...the gate was closed so we decided to hike ,jog,backpack our way to red rock...took a few hours..and was a 11.4 mile hike

I was amazing, full of colors !

Though rated easy this trail took you through the dry river bed for a lot of the 1st half of the hike making the footing a bit challenging. Beautiful views everywhere. At the time we hiked this trail it was very still and warmer and the flies were relentless. I would defiantly do this hike again but when it’s cooler and with a bit of breeze.

I would not recommend doing the whole hike with young kids. Hike to the pools and swim and then hike back. I also don't think this hike should be rate as easy. Very pretty though.

Access road to the trailhead is open again. Valley trail crossings are tricky to follow with all the brush from the winter rains. That actually is what makes the hike fun. Lots of great swimming opportunities.

Monday, September 05, 2016

I did the loop starting with the red rocks pools and up, opting for the fire road side last. Pretty fun and mellow. They recently bulldozed through the trail and left a ton of branches and brush right in the middle of it that's kind of a pain in the ass to step though.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Very rocky! I enjoyed this, however not
well suited for horses. We weren't able to hike this in its entirety as it started to downpour. Sad not to finish however happy for the much needed rain. This hike is on my list to try again. The part we hiked was easy.

Friday, February 12, 2016

I took my horses on this trail at the end of December (not the service road). This trail is really really rocky and may not be the best idea for horses without shoes, although I didn't notice any soreness the days following. We made through the very last "river crossing" and lost the trail right before it meets with the service road. We got off to a late start so we headed back to the trailer and plan on attempting this trail again in the future. Maybe we'll take the service road next time. Very very little water and its very nasty.

Saturday, July 06, 2013

Hotter than blazes today (95 F) but beautiful and quiet. Saw lots of deer (one hanging in a swimming hole,) lots of animal scat, lots of lizards, went swimming, did not see a lot of people. Trail is a little overgrown in places - and watch out for misleading cairns. You might find some cool spots off the beaten track.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It was pretty cool. something to do that day

Monday, October 03, 2011

trespass at your own risk but there is CLIFF JUMPING

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Me and my friends started from the bottom to red rock and all together we hiked 10miles. It was alright

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Right now the road to red rocks is closed 4 miles before.. Water level too high ! Hiked sage hill Aliso loop ..3 miles and great vistas..

Wednesday, January 22, 2014