Red Rock Canyon Trail

Red Rock Canyon Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Topanga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was my first time and I really loved this moderate hike! Great climb straight up if you take the adjacent smaller trail instead of the main trail!

Absolutely gorgeous and it felt like I truly worked out. Heart rate monitor stayed at 165bpm! Willl be back!

Different terrain than other hikes in the area. Great views also! Steep trails, but all on a wide dirt road.

Go early and/or on a cool day. There is no shade on this hike. Both our dogs got overheated, so we had to turn back about 2.5 miles in. We want to go back. Our dogs do not.

Was nice but raining and slippery

Took the dirt road till it ended at the trailhead. There's a $5 fee you place in a envelope and receipt you place on your dash. Continue up the trailhead only a few minutes to get to the main rock formations you can climb all over. If you head up the slanted rock face you can make it to the top and have a great photo opportunity. I opted to continue up to Calabasas Peak, where there are 360 degree views. Only one water fountain shortly into the hike so be sure to take enough because it is all incline. Half way up you hit the Stunt road/Calabasas Peak junction where there is a bench to sit and relax before the last push uphill. Not too strenuous but still a nice workout for the beginners. Pass the x in the ground, boulder in the middle of the trail and keep going! Eventually you reach a point where there are two trails to the peak approximately 100 feet up. I passed the first trail because it's not easily marked but if you pass it there's another one around the other side more easily identified. There's a ammo box with notes from other travelers, and some emergency supplies should you need it. Enjoy and take in the scenery, you can see the ocean in one side and on my hike I could see snow capped mountains off in the distance on the other. Overall, great workout. I included pics in my review to hopefully help ya out! Stay safe and enjoy fellow explorers!

Monday, December 05, 2016

This was beyond our expectations, the rock formations were a huge surprise as we hadn't read about the trail ahead of time. The only way I can describe this hike was that it made us feel like we were on another planet or in a different country. Such a gorgeous trail, many views to admire and take in. Can't wait to go back and take our time with the next visit.

There is a $5 parking fee, but keep in mind folks it's to help maintain the park and in my opinion to keep a place like this available to the public... that fee is totally worth it.

Friday, July 01, 2016

Koda came with and had heat stroke.. We want to go back.. Didn't get very far.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Red Rock Canyon is beautiful. I wish I could have taken my son to the bottom part of the trail. It is filled with incredible formations of rocks that follow, a sadly very dry, creak. It has a couple of picnic tables and is generally beyond enjoyable. I did this hike on a Tuesday at 1pm and it was great but wonder what the views look like at dawn or dusk with the play of shadows. Great trail to explore if you are looking for more than views and have time to explore.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Not that great. No parking on the street and there's a fee of $5 so bring cash. Cool rock formations in the beginning. I did the scout trail so not sure if that was supposed to be a loop? But it doesn't loop.

Monday, September 21, 2015

amazing rock formations. We started the hike at 6 a.m. and enjoyed the sunrise at the Calabasas peak. we decided to continue the hike to the Red Rock Canyon trail and I must admit that this is the most beautiful hike we have done so far. We saw 2 unleashed dogs but not long after that did we see the park ranger talking to the owners.

Monday, February 09, 2015

Start EARLY. I got on the trail at about 8:30 this morning (beautiful foggy 60-degree morning in the canyon... very quiet and still). I used the fire road instead of the scout trail. When I was coming back down to the parking lot at about 10 AM I hit three large, loud groups who were just getting started.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

This is a beautiful trail past amazing geologic formations - primarily red rock with spines of white granite thrusting diagonally on either side of the canyon. There are caves that look naturally formed. The trail is a wide fire road that bicyclists can easily navigate (except for the Eagle Scout Trail section).

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

My fellow hikers and I made a couple wrong decisions with this hike. We missed the small trail to the right (marked by a sign about some scout's eagle project). Second, we kept following the fire road thinking there would be a trail off shoot at some point (there was not, other than a cool rock or two). And lastly, it was an 85+ degree day, not ideal for this hike, since there is not a single tree near or on the fire road. My advise, skip the fire road. Besides the sight to see on the fire road are the caves to the left which are before the Eagle Scout trail. The Eagle Scout trail leads to a great rock to climb and overlook the land below. That alone made the adventure worth it.

Monday, December 10, 2012

My family and I entered the trail at Red Rock Canyon Park. The road leading there is a single lane dirt road that passes through a residential neighborhood. There is a $5 parking fee and the ranger patrols so be aware.

Upon our arrival there was three other vehicles in the small parking lot. We paid the Iron ranger and proceeded up the trail. The trail is wide and simple at this point. There are some beautiful rock formations up and to the left such as an arch and small caves. Further down the main path you have a choice of continuing up the easier wide path or trekking up the rocks. The trail is marked on the right. The trail is beautiful and leads up to the peak to your right. Be sure to bring plenty of water because even with a beautiful cool day it was needed. We turned around at the peak thought the trail continues.

Upon reaching the parking lot the crowds had increased considerably. There was not a parking spot to be had. Most of the new arrivals stayed on the large easy trail. I rated the crowds as moderate. If you are on the smaller trail it would be light. If you were on the larger easy trail it would be busy.

One other thing to note, dogs are allowed on a leash.

Friday, November 23, 2012

NOTE: I think the distance listed on this trail is inaccurate. It is more like 4 miles, not 7.4 and you can verify this by looking at the trail on the topo map.

Hiked this in early Nov with 2 teens and an 7 yr old boy. Nice trail with very cool rock formations once the trail leads off the fire road.

Well maintained trail.

Took us around 4 hours to complete because the kids played in the rocks & caves for quite a while on the way up. I do recommend giving yourself a lot of extra time for this if you have kids. :-)

The trail sort of ends at the top of a ridge with some large boulders, but there actually seems to be a connection to another trail that is not indicated on the topo. We did not explore the trail any further.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Good.
1 star for rock formation.
1 star for well maintained trail
1 star for being dog friendly

Bad.
-1 star: Entrance is pretty but I found the rest a little boring.
-1 star: Not much shade.

Overall.
The entrance of the park is very pretty. There are some very interesting rock formations at the very beginning but as you go up the view become just a canyon with trees. Nothing special, it is a dirt road all the way up. It is a fairly easy trail.

Easy hikes for dogs, and looks like a good place for biking.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pretty great views here. Mostly dirt road up to the top where you can boulder a little bit. Lots of wildlife and lizards. A great hike when it's not too hot.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I appear to be the only mountain biker to review the trail, but I've also hiked it. I start from my house (in Woodland Hills), and its a 25 mile loop for me. For mountain bikers, the best ways to access it is from Old Topanga Canyon (right at the summit; head west and follow the signs for the trail.) Alternatively, you can continue down @ 2 miles to Red Rock Canyon, turning right (east). Either way, you begin climbing; from Old Topanga, almost immediately; from Red Rock, in approximately 2 miles. I find the climb up from Red Rock to be somewhat steeper with grades in spots (per my GPS) over 20%. Whichever way you go, it's steep, but there are great views from the top; on a clear day, you can even catch the Pacific in spots. Continue down the opposite way, and you arrive back at Old Topanga, either the summit or Red Rock. If you simply park on Old Topanga and do the loop, its @ 7 miles, with 600 ft. (over 2 miles) or 1000 ft. elevation gain (over 3 miles). If you have the time/energy, from the Summit of Old Topanga, continue east through a gate (no vehicles allowed). There's a dirt road called Summit to Summit Motorway, which will eventually take you 3 miles east to the summit of Topanga Canyon. All in all, a nice workout. The numbers below reflect the distance/time from my house. Your distance/times will differ.