Red Rock Canyon Trail

Red Rock Canyon Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Topanga, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Different terrain than other hikes in the area. Great views also! Steep trails, but all on a wide dirt road.

Go early and/or on a cool day. There is no shade on this hike. Both our dogs got overheated, so we had to turn back about 2.5 miles in. We want to go back. Our dogs do not.

Was nice but raining and slippery

Took the dirt road till it ended at the trailhead. There's a $5 fee you place in a envelope and receipt you place on your dash. Continue up the trailhead only a few minutes to get to the main rock formations you can climb all over. If you head up the slanted rock face you can make it to the top and have a great photo opportunity. I opted to continue up to Calabasas Peak, where there are 360 degree views. Only one water fountain shortly into the hike so be sure to take enough because it is all incline. Half way up you hit the Stunt road/Calabasas Peak junction where there is a bench to sit and relax before the last push uphill. Not too strenuous but still a nice workout for the beginners. Pass the x in the ground, boulder in the middle of the trail and keep going! Eventually you reach a point where there are two trails to the peak approximately 100 feet up. I passed the first trail because it's not easily marked but if you pass it there's another one around the other side more easily identified. There's a ammo box with notes from other travelers, and some emergency supplies should you need it. Enjoy and take in the scenery, you can see the ocean in one side and on my hike I could see snow capped mountains off in the distance on the other. Overall, great workout. I included pics in my review to hopefully help ya out! Stay safe and enjoy fellow explorers!

This was beyond our expectations, the rock formations were a huge surprise as we hadn't read about the trail ahead of time. The only way I can describe this hike was that it made us feel like we were on another planet or in a different country. Such a gorgeous trail, many views to admire and take in. Can't wait to go back and take our time with the next visit.

There is a $5 parking fee, but keep in mind folks it's to help maintain the park and in my opinion to keep a place like this available to the public... that fee is totally worth it.

Koda came with and had heat stroke.. We want to go back.. Didn't get very far.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Red Rock Canyon is beautiful. I wish I could have taken my son to the bottom part of the trail. It is filled with incredible formations of rocks that follow, a sadly very dry, creak. It has a couple of picnic tables and is generally beyond enjoyable. I did this hike on a Tuesday at 1pm and it was great but wonder what the views look like at dawn or dusk with the play of shadows. Great trail to explore if you are looking for more than views and have time to explore.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Not that great. No parking on the street and there's a fee of $5 so bring cash. Cool rock formations in the beginning. I did the scout trail so not sure if that was supposed to be a loop? But it doesn't loop.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday, September 21, 2015

amazing rock formations. We started the hike at 6 a.m. and enjoyed the sunrise at the Calabasas peak. we decided to continue the hike to the Red Rock Canyon trail and I must admit that this is the most beautiful hike we have done so far. We saw 2 unleashed dogs but not long after that did we see the park ranger talking to the owners.