Red Hills Loop Trail

Red Hills Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jamestown, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Once a restricted area for military training maneuvers, this wild landscape is now open to the public. The trails are unmaintained, and the landscape is pristine. Parts of the trails are made up of old wagon roads. It is a wonderful place to spend the day, especially in mid spring, when the wildflowers are in bloom, and the rattlesnakes are still underground.

If you use this app how can you get lost? Check in, record and fallow along. Great little hike. This is another place that is suited for cooler weather hikes. Streams are high and seranad you as you walk. Hills are green and easy to navigate.

Need markers. Got lost on the way back.

We got a late start (mid afternoon) and if the weather hadn't been so pleasant with a breeze we would have baked. This is a dry and rocky trail. Lots of wild flowers and enjoyable scenery. As noted in other reviews, the trails are not well marked and it is easy to get "lost". Did not pick up a map and regretted it.

Make sure to grab a map at the entrance because you can easily get lost hiking through these trails. Also make sure to wear the right shoes since the trail is rocky throughout and can have some moderately steep inclines. I would also suggest bringing extra water and food just in case you do get lost and have to do some backtracking. We ended up hiking much longer than expected.

Everyone we saw got lost and had trouble getting out. A few more markers would be nice.

This loop trail has many lightly marked trails that intertwine. although it makes it a little tough to navigate, it is still beautiful and recommend the hike. bring lots of water and trees are slightly far apart. There is a lot of loose gravel and rocks do I highly recommend hiking poles or high ankle boots. Happy Hiking.

Nice hike but was lacking good markers also be prepared for rocky terrain

nice trail when it's green. only lost 1 start for bad trail makers.

This time of year, the hills are beautiful and there is plenty of water running thru the rock beds. My only issue is that most of the trails are unmarked, so it's very easy to get lost and turned around. I suggest having a GPS and a compass.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The wildflowers are beautiful right now! The trail was a little rough for my 5 year old but he managed to make it! It's kind a hard to follow the trails and they seem to be everywhere. I will definitely go again.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Not a bad hike we did about 4 miles or so. Nice variation in incline and some beautiful meadows and streams.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

I would like to go further next time but really enjoyed our nice hike here. The drive out here is very nice as well. We liked this trail as a great potential place to trail run. I will come back here for sure.

Monday, December 26, 2016

I love this trails

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I got super lost and almost became a coyotes dinner! We came at 3pm. And didn't find our way back till 7pm! And it was already dark. Really scary. I would recommend going really early incase you get lost. Didn't find the river..): and it was really rocky that I almost fell a couple of times. They need a better trail with signs so people don't get lost since there is different path ways. Watch out for the horse poop!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Trail was hard to figure out. The app led us to a spot where there was no trail and we had to just back track back to the beginning. Very rocky, which would've been alright if they weren't loose rocks and I didn't slide all over the place. It was really dry. Very quite on a weekday. We only saw three people on horses. Do not recommend doing this hike by yourself. We got lost a couple of times.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Pretty warm day, trails was sometime hard to figure out....dry creek beds and trails converge together, making it hard to tell the difference, but this app worked great to get back on track to the trail.

Monday, May 23, 2016

rocky but fun. beautiful wildflowers

Thursday, May 05, 2016

it was great and even my kids liked it.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

The creek was very low but the wildflowers were everywhere with a very large variety! The trail was rocky but 5 year old did great! Dogs had a blast!!

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

It was pretty but thinking its a better bike or horse trail!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Like other reviewers have said, its very rocky. We went on the first day of spring 2016 and the grass was green and the wildflowers were still in bloom. The trails are good for hiking but they are more geared for horseback riders, and for the truly adventurous mountain bikers. All in all its a good hike. I would not do this on in the middle of summer though. Like I said first day of spring the temps were at 71 and it was getting warm due to the limited shade.

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Easy, except the trail is very rocky. Easy to slip and hard on the feet. Beautiful in early March.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

It was a fun trail. Very rocky and the water was good for the dogs to get cool in! We hiked a 6 mile loop. We didn't start where the horse trails start. We went up the road further and parked on a rough dirt road on the left. It was enjoyable and when we had the choice, we went up!

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Very nice horseback riding trail. Be careful of the rattlesnakes as it warms up.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Very fun trail. My family loves walking around the miles of trails, but only in the early spring or late fall. Lots of cool rocks of different colors and very little people. Our little dog loves to run free around here too, and yes we pick up after him.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Nice little hike with beautiful scenery of the rolling hills! Perfect for man's best friend.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Lots of rocks so wear good shoes, watch out for horse poop, the end of the loop for me was the hardest. But totally worth it.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Went on Labor Day, noontime so it was quite hot. Horses are allowed on the trail and there were two ahead of us. Be prepared to encounter fresh horse manure is what I'm trying to say. Hike is pretty easy. Not a lot of shade at the beginning of the trail so make sure you wear a hat and cool clothing, and plenty of water. Since we were hiking with a big dog, we were not able to finish the 8-mile loop but will definitely return for another trek.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

This trail sucks is not worth the time there's zero people hiking it so in case of an emergency you are on your own. I went this last Sunday and my dog got bit by something and I couldn't get him out fast enough there was absolutely nobody not even in the parking lot. This place sucks I don't recommend it

Sunday, July 05, 2015

I hike this trail often in the summer, it's a great place to train for arid heat. Yesterday I got a real treat -- 2 bald eagles near the farthest point from the north parking area (marked "27" on soaproot trail on the ACEC map). Absolutely stunning. I've read that they only come here in the winter, so this was a surprise.