Red Hills Loop Trail

Red Hills Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jamestown, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Once a restricted area for military training maneuvers, this wild landscape is now open to the public. The trails are unmaintained, and the landscape is pristine. Parts of the trails are made up of old wagon roads. It is a wonderful place to spend the day, especially in mid spring, when the wildflowers are in bloom, and the rattlesnakes are still underground.

Need markers. Got lost on the way back.

We got a late start (mid afternoon) and if the weather hadn't been so pleasant with a breeze we would have baked. This is a dry and rocky trail. Lots of wild flowers and enjoyable scenery. As noted in other reviews, the trails are not well marked and it is easy to get "lost". Did not pick up a map and regretted it.

Make sure to grab a map at the entrance because you can easily get lost hiking through these trails. Also make sure to wear the right shoes since the trail is rocky throughout and can have some moderately steep inclines. I would also suggest bringing extra water and food just in case you do get lost and have to do some backtracking. We ended up hiking much longer than expected.

Everyone we saw got lost and had trouble getting out. A few more markers would be nice.

This loop trail has many lightly marked trails that intertwine. although it makes it a little tough to navigate, it is still beautiful and recommend the hike. bring lots of water and trees are slightly far apart. There is a lot of loose gravel and rocks do I highly recommend hiking poles or high ankle boots. Happy Hiking.

Nice hike but was lacking good markers also be prepared for rocky terrain

nice trail when it's green. only lost 1 start for bad trail makers.

This time of year, the hills are beautiful and there is plenty of water running thru the rock beds. My only issue is that most of the trails are unmarked, so it's very easy to get lost and turned around. I suggest having a GPS and a compass.

The wildflowers are beautiful right now! The trail was a little rough for my 5 year old but he managed to make it! It's kind a hard to follow the trails and they seem to be everywhere. I will definitely go again.

Not a bad hike we did about 4 miles or so. Nice variation in incline and some beautiful meadows and streams.

I would like to go further next time but really enjoyed our nice hike here. The drive out here is very nice as well. We liked this trail as a great potential place to trail run. I will come back here for sure.

Monday, December 26, 2016

I love this trails

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I got super lost and almost became a coyotes dinner! We came at 3pm. And didn't find our way back till 7pm! And it was already dark. Really scary. I would recommend going really early incase you get lost. Didn't find the river..): and it was really rocky that I almost fell a couple of times. They need a better trail with signs so people don't get lost since there is different path ways. Watch out for the horse poop!

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Trail was hard to figure out. The app led us to a spot where there was no trail and we had to just back track back to the beginning. Very rocky, which would've been alright if they weren't loose rocks and I didn't slide all over the place. It was really dry. Very quite on a weekday. We only saw three people on horses. Do not recommend doing this hike by yourself. We got lost a couple of times.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Pretty warm day, trails was sometime hard to figure out....dry creek beds and trails converge together, making it hard to tell the difference, but this app worked great to get back on track to the trail.

Monday, May 23, 2016

rocky but fun. beautiful wildflowers

Thursday, May 05, 2016

it was great and even my kids liked it.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

The creek was very low but the wildflowers were everywhere with a very large variety! The trail was rocky but 5 year old did great! Dogs had a blast!!

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

It was pretty but thinking its a better bike or horse trail!

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Like other reviewers have said, its very rocky. We went on the first day of spring 2016 and the grass was green and the wildflowers were still in bloom. The trails are good for hiking but they are more geared for horseback riders, and for the truly adventurous mountain bikers. All in all its a good hike. I would not do this on in the middle of summer though. Like I said first day of spring the temps were at 71 and it was getting warm due to the limited shade.