EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Red Cliffs Trail

Red Cliffs Trail is a 1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cantil, California that features a cave and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

The Red Cliffs Trail at Red Rock Canyon State Park travels past reddish cliffs comprising sandstone, mudstone, and some volcanic rocks. Evidence of slumping, or possibly faulting, is seen in this cliff formation, which makes it an excellent place to see geology in action. Although the main trail is only 0.75 miles long, there are several pleasant unofficial trails and washes nearby. It is possible to spend several hours in this area exploring the desert landscape just off the main trail.

Great little spot to stop at if it's to or from your destination. Decided to stop on our way home to LA and take in the beautiful cliffs w/ our mini dachshund.
Spent a couple hours walking, climbing and taking pictures before moving on.
Nice experience and another trail we can check off our list with our little hound pup. :)

Easy

Great little hike. I started by heading south on the trail. at the southern point you have a great little vista view looking right at the main formations as you drive in. At the north point of the trail you will find several groupings of Joshua Trees. Form this side you can also walk up the back of the formations should you wish.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

We loved this trail! It was very hot and dry since it's the desert and the summer, however the formations and the views were incredible. There was only one other couple hiking the day we went and they were leaving just as we showed up which made for a relaxing and private hike to enjoy it all. It is dog friendly, which is awesome (yay!) however it is hot dry and hard on the feet with zero shade so it may not be for every dog, and for people and dogs alike bring plenty of water and energy drinks.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Beautiful but hot. It is the desert I guess after all.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

walked around a bit and explored and sat around for the sunrise, was really beautiful

Monday, January 11, 2016

Yesterday morning, 01/09/2016 I decided to hike Red Rock Canyon State Park on the west side of SR14. I was the lone hike out there, visitor's centered closed but numerous campers and motor crossers. The hike to Whistler's Ridge and Peak was cool, easy and the terrain felt like hiking on foam after the El Nino rain weather. After hiking the Whistler's Ridge, I hiked to the middle top of Canyon Ridge which was cool but scary. I back tracked and veered to the left towards to bottom of the canyon and hike along the canyon floor to very west side of the canyon. Cool hike. I expect this place to be full of hikers, come spring and fall.

Friday, June 19, 2015

Saturday, December 20, 2014

scenic driving
Monday, June 09, 2014

Absolutely stunning. The campground is right on the rock face so the whole time you're surrounded by beauty! I call it the mini Grand Canyon!

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Have been up to Red Rock a half dozen times and it never gets old!! It's a park similar to Vasquez and Devils Punchbowl. You can wonder around the area for hours and never be in any danger of getting lost. The last time I went my buddy and I hiked around the Canyon for almost 10 miles. Rock formations are wicked and was formed from wind and erosion, always find something new. There is an extremely cool canyon formed by running water on the backside, you can also free climb many of the towers.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

We completed both Hagen & Red Rock Canyon Trails in one day. They are both loop trails that offer plenty to look at and keep beginning hikers like our youngest entertained. They even both offered quasi caves to explore as well. Very family friendly and separated by about .25 miles on the high way. Also for those of you with small children, Red Rock Canyon Trail has a bathroom. Hagen Trail had the camel rock and 'window'. Would recommend for beginners or those with small children.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Beautiful little nature walk but it's only a 25 minute meandering little loop.

Sunday, May 06, 2012