Red Canyon OHV Trail

Red Canyon OHV Trail is a 27.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mecca, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 27.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,072 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

Red Canyon cuts through the eastern section of the Orocopia Mountain Wilderness and offers the hiker entry from both the north or south. Offers majestic vistas of the valley on the east.

off road driving

Started by chiraco summit and ended back through red cloud rd. Was driving in a lifted cross trek with all terrains. It’s not an extremely hard trail and you could traverse 90% of it on stock height no problem but I would say all terrains or better are a must. The other 10% requires you to think out your line and corner correctly since there’s some steep parts that might bottom you out. Some parts are very rocky and bouncy so don’t expect an easy ride. Great view when you get to the actual canyon part. Be warned there’s a turn off that drops down into the gorge like half way there that looks possible but wouldn’t recommend it if your in a crosstrek unless it’s highly modified. At least in my opinion. Also on the way back it’s very sandy and lowering your psi would work wonders for your car because it bogged me a little in a couple spots coming back. Probably a good idea to take a buddy because we saw no one all day and took us about 3-4hrs going at a modest pace and exploring the canyon part.

off road driving

We started on the Bradshaw trail and went to the trestle, from there we cut over to the Red Canyon Trail and took that to the 10. We didn’t drive the entire Red Canyon Trail but the portion we took was pretty fun. We drove along some steep ridge lines with some fun twists and tight turns, there were even a few technical spots, a few blind break overs, and some sandy areas. It was a great trail with views down into the canyon. This was my first time driving off road and it was a great trail to test your abilities and see what your vehicle was capable of. We were driving a stock height Rubicon Unlimited Hardrock with 4.10’s, & stock All Terrain tires aired down to 20psi. The stock height of the Jeep was perfect, though a lift would have been beneficial. Glad we upgraded to the metal cloak diff covers because I may have grazed the pumpkin once or twice. The couple technical areas were a breeze for the Rubicon, though having a spotter was beneficial. The trail was empty aside from a V22 flyover. This trail was fun and a great intro to off roading. I wouldn’t necessarily say this trail was hard, we didn’t even use the lockers at all, but you’ve definitely got to pay attention as the terrain changes often, which makes it even more fun!

off road driving

Nice lil run started right off box canyon trail up to Hotel California then up red canyon trail .. https://youtu.be/yOR2SRi2J4k

awesome

off road driving

Pretty Easy Trail. Went from I-10 down to Red Canyon Tr, then South to Bradshaw Tr, then West to the opening, you can only go in a mile or so, then it dead ends @ some very large boulders. I drive a just above stock 4-runner and had no problems anywhere, didn't see anyone ALL DAY, although I did repair some jackass in a rental that tore off the lower shroud on the way back. Ya can't fix stupid, and he was on his way to the RR Bridge, 15 miles away !!! He would have got there @ dusk... Then What? not my problem... Speaking of which, if you come from the north, you will see a road on the way down 661202, don't take it yet, go to the bottom, then up into the canyon. Mess around as you please, then remember that there is a side canyon on the right, or east, that turns into 661202 after the wash ends, then it's UP back to Red Canyon Trail. Easy enough. Right now, there is a beautiful wildflower bloom. Just about a 30 mile drive off road, 5 hours time. Dry today. And, if you really want to see inside Red Canyon, and have read the book 140 Great Hikes in and around Palm Springs, which is where I found this adventure, you'll have to park, and hump it down & in. But I'd bet it's amazing way down inside... Leave a review if you do.

off road driving

Red canyon was really fun ride with my Jeep Wrangler Moab Unlimited. This was my second attempt for off loading so I was little nervous. But my Wrangler was right at his turf. I wanted to go to the abandoned rail road bridge but this track goes opposite direction when you reach down to bradshaw trail. Just go towards the Salton Sea instead of turning left if you want to see the bridge. It looks really cool looking at other people’s photos.

Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Great time here! My buddy and I both have completely stock vehicles(posted) he has a 2010 FJ Cruiser and myself a 2018 Rubicon JLU. Are only limit was climbing a steep hill with loose dirt. You will need to get off the main trail (Red Canyon Rd) to find some really fun and difficult paths.

Monday, September 24, 2018