Rector Reservoir Wildlife Area

Rector Reservoir Wildlife Area is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Napa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,131 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Steep climb right off the rip. Beautiful views! Be careful Coming back down. Some of the steeper sections have loose gravel and can surprise you.

Highly recommend going earlier in the morning as opposed to afternoon especially with the heat! It’s a bit tricky finding the start of the trail but it’s to the right hand of the gated fence you’ll find a path that leads you upward. Also there is no parking. I suggest if you’re lucky to find parking across the street at Paraduxx to take it if not this second time I went I parked on the side of the road and it was fine. This was my second time doing this and I had the great idea of hiking at around 1pm — safe to say I was dying from the heat! Bring lots of water!!! I would recommend wearing long pants just to be safe you don’t get any cuts from the plants/bushes etc. View once you get to the top is AMAZING! Enjoy :)

wear pants go early good workout great views

Phew! This one kicked my butt with 1,200 foot elevation climb in the first 0.75 mile. The views of the Valley are amazing the entire way! Like all the other reviews, pants are recommended. I was in shorts, which wasn’t too bad, but I picked up a few scratches. Coming down was almost worse because it’s so steep. I’ll be back when it’s a bit cooler.

Thank you(previous reviewer) for the comment about the thorny bushes through out the hike! Wear hiking pants! Go early like 7am or 8 am before it gets hot! Parking is crappy but you can park on side of road.

Must cover legs and ankles as the flowers along the trail are thorny. Steady on the way down - fairly slippery in some places. Nice views of the valley.

Just hiked this trail in July-main advice-WEAR PANTS! The path is well worn but the yellow thistle flowers make a significant impact on the hiking experience (and legs). Not a lot of shade, a mile climb, and then levels out with lovely views of the wine valley on side and reservoir in the other. We went at noon-so be prepared to sweat a little.

Really enjoyed this trail and seeing vineyards from above.

Not for the faint of heart, steep climb for a solid mile, nice views at the peak....... but not worth doing it again

Two 50 year olds here, modest but frequent hikers. The view of the expanse of Napa Valley is impressive, but would probably not do it again. The trail surface has a lot of loose rocks and that combined with the grade forced us to spend so much time watching our footing that we found little time to just enjoy the views. If you’re looking for shade be warned there is very little, which was fine in mid April but I suspect would be rough in late spring and summer. We made it up to the saddle where you can look down into Rector Reservoir, which is a very nice view. As others have said finding the trail head can be difficult. Just know that it’s the little parking lot against a maintenance facility fence directly across from Paraduxx Winery. Bear right (south) along the fence and curve to your left after about 100 yards

Nice short hike with a beautiful view of vineyards. we could see the reservoir, but didn’t get as close as we expected - maybe took wrong trail to top? There was a fork about 3/4 of the way up and we went to the left which angled toward the peak. Not sure where the other went or if it just looped back to the top. Took us about 45 minutes of moderate pace to get up there - incline all the way. Would def bring friends here for the view.

Close to Yountville. A bit rocky/steep at some spots but a good moderate hike with views of the Wine valley and lake on the other side.