Ray Miller Backbone Trail

Ray Miller Backbone Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,049 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice trail with smooth elevation gain and some views of the ocean. It is exactly 5.4 miles, and took just under 2 hours hiking at a moderate pace, including breaks. Around 6 in the morning, there were several pairs of trail runners, who had no issue with the path. Around 8 AM, more hikers and families started showing up. The sign out front says that the gate opens at 8 AM, but it appears to stay open. Nice wildflowers, bunnies, birds, and views! Was not overgrown, there was just a slight amount of foliage towards the very end of the trail, which ended at a fire road.

Great trail. Came across a rattlesnake on the walk up today.

Trail in great condition. Lots of amazing ocean views. We just finished with two adults and four kids ages 3-11. We didn’t finish the very last stretch of the hike. It took us 2:20. Shorts are fine, the weeds have been trimmed back.

I enjoyed this hike. Nonstop wildflower and ocean views were spectacular. The elevation gain is gradual so it does not feel like you are climbing over 1,000 feet. It could be quite warm during the summer, but partly fogged in while we were on the trail. The only downside is the destination is just a fire road so not an exciting destination. I followed the trail exactly as shown on the AllTrails app and it showed that the hike was 5.7 miles long out and back.

Super quick, easy, and gorgeous! Wear pants, not shorts!!!!

Beautiful wildflowers in bloom and lovely ocean view 75% of the time! 10/10

Beautiful!!! So many flowers! A must hike

Great trail for the family. We went when it was overcast and lots of wildflowers. There is no shade so plan to go early or wear hats. Unless its overcast then you're fine. Beautiful views!

great hike. lot of wildflowers. mustard, coreopsis and at least 2 other yellow ones. Lupine and a few other blue ones. We saw a few poppies too. lots of other flowers everywhere. In about a week there should be a whole lot of white flowers all over the hillside.

Still blooming, but only for another week. Such a pretty hike! Stunning views and not crazy crowded. Somebody said they saw a rattlesnake, but I didn’t. Beginner hikers would be fine (it’s pretty easy, but full sun), moderate hikers can still get a workout.

Still blooming! Great views of the pacific and some views of the mountain range behind. About 7mi from the beach campgrounds.

Beautiful scenery. At one point you have breathtaking views of the Santa Monica Mountains and at 180* beautiful blue ocean! With the recent rains the area is blooming with greenery and flowers! Parking lot requires a parking pass. $3/hr or $8/day or you can park for free on PCH. It also has a porta potty.

I really enjoyed this hike, the ascent is gradual, the trail is wide enough, and the vistas are amazing.

My friends and I met at 8am in an overcast and very foggy morning. We were attacked by a swarm of very aggressive black mosquitoes in the parking lot, by the trail head. I immediately used Deep Woods insect repellent towelettes but it was not enough. They covered our clothing, backpack, hair, and bit my friends and I through our clothing and anywhere my wipe didn't swipe. We ran out to PCH where another friend kept a bottle of repellent spray in the car, and we covered each other. We then hiked past the trail head to higher ground as fast as we could. As we got above the fog, we left the swarm. The trail is a steady smooth climb all the way up 2.7 miles, offering spectacular views. The fog below rewarded our efforts with great photos! I would do it again, just be armed and prepared next time!

Went on this hike yesterday, under overcast skies most of the way. Easy hike but ran into mosquitos about 2/3’s up the trail. Bring your bug spray! Nice views but no wildflowers this time of year.

Trails on trails. Good view for the majority of hike

Nice trail that climbs up with views of the ocean and welcome cool breezes. The trail is well maintained. Good family hike. Port-a-potties and picnic benches at trailhead.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Beautiful views, beautiful wildflowers. No shade - bring sunscreen!

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Great trail. Hiked while camping at Thronhill Brome beach. Early morning the trial was empty, marine layer kept temps cool and stellar views and wildflowers. Moderate incline the whole trail very pleasant to hike.

Monday, May 21, 2018

Biggest lizards I’ve ever seen on a trail! Views are amazing, be prepared for switchback hell

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Great hike. Not too hard and gorgeous views. No shade so glad I did it before summer.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Fantastic trail. Gradual incline to the top. Very easy hike. Stunning views of the ocean throughout the entire hike. Ocean breeze and sounds and sight of the ocean all the way to the top of the mountain. This hike will not disappoint!!!

Friday, March 16, 2018

The best

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Fairly easy trail with great views.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Berry Good

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Just gorgeous

Monday, October 16, 2017

Awesome training ascent with the best sunset views! Not as crowded as Chumash Trail!