Ray Miller Backbone Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

I really enjoyed this hike, the ascent is gradual, the trail is wide enough, and the vistas are amazing.

My friends and I met at 8am in an overcast and very foggy morning. We were attacked by a swarm of very aggressive black mosquitoes in the parking lot, by the trail head. I immediately used Deep Woods insect repellent towelettes but it was not enough. They covered our clothing, backpack, hair, and bit my friends and I through our clothing and anywhere my wipe didn't swipe. We ran out to PCH where another friend kept a bottle of repellent spray in the car, and we covered each other. We then hiked past the trail head to higher ground as fast as we could. As we got above the fog, we left the swarm. The trail is a steady smooth climb all the way up 2.7 miles, offering spectacular views. The fog below rewarded our efforts with great photos! I would do it again, just be armed and prepared next time!

Went on this hike yesterday, under overcast skies most of the way. Easy hike but ran into mosquitos about 2/3’s up the trail. Bring your bug spray! Nice views but no wildflowers this time of year.

Trails on trails. Good view for the majority of hike

Nice trail that climbs up with views of the ocean and welcome cool breezes. The trail is well maintained. Good family hike. Port-a-potties and picnic benches at trailhead.

Beautiful views, beautiful wildflowers. No shade - bring sunscreen!

Great trail. Hiked while camping at Thronhill Brome beach. Early morning the trial was empty, marine layer kept temps cool and stellar views and wildflowers. Moderate incline the whole trail very pleasant to hike.

Biggest lizards I’ve ever seen on a trail! Views are amazing, be prepared for switchback hell

Great hike. Not too hard and gorgeous views. No shade so glad I did it before summer.

Fantastic trail. Gradual incline to the top. Very easy hike. Stunning views of the ocean throughout the entire hike. Ocean breeze and sounds and sight of the ocean all the way to the top of the mountain. This hike will not disappoint!!!

The best

Fairly easy trail with great views.

Berry Good

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Just gorgeous

Monday, October 16, 2017

Awesome training ascent with the best sunset views! Not as crowded as Chumash Trail!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Great hike with a nice cool breeze off the ocean.

Monday, August 28, 2017

Great hike. I didn't go all the way because I wanted to make it back to my car before my parking ticket expired. But great spots to over look the ocean.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Kiana is so right about the need for insect repellent and long pants. Lots of people on the narrow trail (hiked Saturday).

Monday, August 07, 2017

nice hike! love the beach views all the way. recommendations: long pants due to overgrowth and bug spray for all the mosquitos that are in the parking area.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Hiked another couple miles (to the left when the trail forks) to a bit past the water towers. Great hike during the summer with amazing views!

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Love this trail. Have hiked it several times. Today was the most overgrown I have ever seen it. Still in really good condition. Still has some pretty yellow flowers. Can't beat the views.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

good hike with a nice view! some people might prefer to wear some pants along the trail since there is decent knee high over growth that can get irritating

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Be careful of corrosion. I slid off the trail. luckily, there is a lot of brush.

Friday, June 30, 2017

the best.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Great views, beautiful flowers and a great workout!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Love it. This is a gem.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

It was a nice hike.We wanted to start from La Jolla Trail (east side) but it had a sign it was closed. So we went from Ray Miller Trail (counter clockwide) of the loop. Wild flowers were blooming everywhere. It was not a clear sky day, but the mist air(marine layer) was coming in and gave such an exceptional view to the area. When we continued on Backbone Overlook - Fire Road trail to Cycamore Canyon Vista Backbone Trail start point, there were many mountain bikers.

Friday, June 02, 2017

The most beautiful Trail I've ever hiked due to California's Superbloom of wildflowers. I would have given it five stars if it was a loop. Stunning.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Nice views however the mustard seed plants have overtaken 5/19/17. Need a machete to pass thru.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Beautiful trail by the ocean, we went in time to see all the wildflowers in bloom.