Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Rattlesnake Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(90)
Crystal Cove State Park

Rattlesnake Loop Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Laguna Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,272 feet Route Type: Loop

Be wary of rattlesnakes! We saw one on the trail; I guess it's aptly named!

Perfect trail for the perfect day. Rattlesnake trail is rocky enough to cut down in the traffic. Gorgeous views! Rattlesnakes are out so keep your eyes open. Saw one next to Deer Canyon Campground.

Watch out for the sinkhole off the side in the canyon, on the flat section of morro canyon. Saw a snake, unsure of the kind, it went straight across the path ahead of me. Nice canyon views, and a plus is the beach to cool off at after.

Some of the cuts in the trail are overgrown and the south side is pretty rocky. Recommend starting from ranger station

Sun May 05 2019

Sat Apr 06 2019

Awesome trail. Beautiful in the morning when the sun is coming up and the bunnies and birds are frolicking. Saw a lot of lizards and a huge rattlesnake on the trail when running it in the heat in the afternoon. A few spots of the road/trail are washed out. If I lived nearby I would run this every week... it’s a great eight miler with enough of an elevation gain to give a little leg burn.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Tue Dec 25 2018

by far the steepest and narrowest trail in crystal cove. great hike

Mon Nov 05 2018

A nice morning walk. Some runners on the trial and some bikes, but not too many bikes. Great views and ocean breeze.

Wed Oct 10 2018

First overnight trip with my eleven year old scout. Tiring but a lot of fun

Sun Apr 15 2018

Very pretty views... great morning hike.

Sat Oct 14 2017

This is a great loop to follow that takes you up to the incredible rattlesnake trail with amazing views. This is loaded with mountain bikers and the insects are decently bad if you stop moving. However it is a great hike some of the inclines are pretty steep so it's definitely a moderate difficulty.

Sat Oct 14 2017

Did this trail Mother's Day a few years ago. No shade and I heard snakes the entire time. So I ran the majority of the distance down the actual trail.

Sat Mar 11 2017

Highly recommended!

Sun Oct 23 2016

It was a very hot day, so the weather made this hike very difficult, but at the same time, Really fun! It pushed me to my limits in terms of the steep uphill challenges. This is a good hike if you want to take your time, see some beautiful views and really just be with nature for a couple hours. We discovered the little cave and that was so nice to just relax in, in the middle of our hike. Remember to bring lots of water. I'd do this trail again! I'd have to say, the BEST PART is that it's only STEPS away from the beach and you can just take your hiking shoes off, throw your flip flops on and in 2 minutes your feet are in the sand and it's such a relaxing way to end the day!

Sat Sep 17 2016

We loved this trail! Some fire roads, single track, a cave, beautiful views with the ocean breeze!! We went down to the beach to cool our feet after the hike!!

Mon Sep 05 2016

Amazing views of the ocean on this hike. Came across two small caves that were great to take a little rest in and meditate. Cut across The Moro Canyon trail on the way back and it was a really pleasant walk back down.

Sat Jan 30 2016