Randall Henderson Loop Trail

Randall Henderson Loop Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palm Desert, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from October until March.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 426 feet Route Type: Loop

Desert loop hike close in to Palm Desert and the Coachella valley. This is a moderate hike with some nice views down into the valley. If you're lucky, you might see some bighorn sheep.

This is my favorite running trail because it is so close to my house and it is not too difficult and just the right distance for exercise. Due to the heat you should not run this trail in the summer unless it’s done early in the morning. I once saw a desert tortoise while on the trail. This trail is fun to hike after rain has caused the desert plants to bloom.

Great loop trail for the family. Neat visitors center. Bring water. No shade.

quick recovery trail when you just want to put in a few easy miles. slope is gentle enough to run most or all of it.

Nice hike near town. Visiting from out of town so we can’t really compare it to anything. Great cacti and possible mountain lion tracks...or a dog with large paws and long claws!

2 chockwallA 2 desert iguana Several side blotch At visitor center Zebra tail Desert spiny

My wife and I hiked this one yesterday with a couple of friends. It was a nice, easy to moderate, trail. I think last month there were more wildflowers but it was a nice desert landscape.

Nice short loop. Great for families

Get there early to beat the heat and the people. I got there just after sunrise and met people going in on my way out. Awesome trail in early April for flowers and birds.

Nice and easy trail compare to other moderate trail we have done. Nice views.

Great family hike. The previous reviews were spot on. Great trail and beautiful flowers.

My wife and I are fairly active, but were looking for a more moderate trail as she is almost seven months pregnant. Randall Henderson was perfect for us. It was the right amount of difficulty and distance. It also allows two spots throughout the trail to join back up with the outloop if the going gets tough (but you don't want to backtrack the way you came). Due to the rains and floods, there were tons of wildflowers out. This made the hike that much more intriguing. I couldn't imagine it being as good of a hike without all those pops of colour. You do get great views to the west from the top, but unfortunately for us (and fortunately for wildlife), the views to the north (Desert Palm) are closed to help preserve the bighorn sheep.

really beautiful wildflowers right now, a little busy but really nice. it is a moderate trail a bit of a challenge, but not too hard.. really nice walk

Great hiking trail. Quite a few people but didn't feel crowded. Trail is 2.7 from visitors center and 2.4 from trail head. Great time of year to go with lots of flowers.

Nice easy trail/ wildflowers are beautiful

Really enjoyed this hike -- lots of wildlife and a beautiful view of the desert. About 2.5+ miles, pretty mild incline. Great to do with a family/all levels of hikers, takes about 50-60 minutes to complete.

Great hike for all ages! Beautiful in the early morning as the sun starts to hit the top of the mountains.

Nice and easy, with lots of flowers getting ready to bloom! Actually only 4-5 km .... forgot to stop the recording!

Great vistas! Recommend traveling the loop clockwise to avoid going down man-made and natural steps and coming down on flatter trail pieces. Worth the trip!

Great loop trail. Recommend hiking clockwise so you hike up the stepper section and walk down the flatter wider trail.

Loved this hike. It was fairly easy and I’m a beginner. Trails were plenty wide and views were desert nice over looking Big Horn.

Our first hike here this morning and we saw a family of 4 Big Horn sheep...there was a baby and another younger sheep with them! Nice trail! I posted pictures of the sheep. Wish I could upload the videos

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Great trail for all ages and levels.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Great short trail. Great place to see desert life. a must if you are from the Coachella Valley

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

We hiked this fun trail with our 5 year old and she didn’t complain at all. Use the trail guide from the visitor’s center to have information to share at each number post as you hike. Lots of cool cacti and beautiful views on this family-friendly loop trail.

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Hiked the 2 mile loop today, about 75 degrees so not bad. I was impressed with how many and how diverse the hikers were that I saw on this trail. People of all ages and activity levels. Starts out level and then climbs up to a lovely view. Going back you walk through some small canyons that remind me of exploring as a kid. Only downside, you can hear and see the Hwy for much the hike, but not a deal breaker.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

good starter exercise walking trail well marked. traffic noise first 1/2, not too scenic.

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

It's a pretty mellow hike good for all ages. I took my parents on this hike and I recieved minimal complaining from them. Definitely easier than moderate, elevation gain is minimal. It was nicely marked and easy follow.