Rancho Penasquitos Adobe Loop is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Poway, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 55 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

bridge out

Overall, great hike. Waterfall was very busy & watch for bikers.

What trail-head is everyone using to access this trail? Every trail-head that I can find is closed.

Pretty, pretttty good

fun little hike to do with the dog the creeks and waterfalls were flowing which made for great views. better if you stay on the inner trails and not the bike path.

Great hike! Especially for women hiking alone. No cars are allowed to park in the lot but there are neighborhoods close by so you can walk to the trails. I was a bit weary going alone and brought pepper stray just in case (ladies, still bring it!) but it was heavily trafficked and there was another young woman hiking alone who was behind me so that made me feel safer. We split pretty quickly but a good sign. Some of the trails hug the stream and provide shade on a hot day or you can hike the bike trails which are more cleared but in the open. The water is beautiful and the creek almost the entire hike was lovely.

This is a very nice trail - but parts are overgrown and others are a bit overused between the horses - giant poops and trails crumbling under them. Definitely needs some maintenance. Also - LOTS of poison ivy

In 2010, I helped my daughter make a mini-documentary on the Los Peñasquitos Canyon preserve & Ranch House for her school science project. If you can, set aside plenty of time for a daylong adventure because there is plenty to appreciate. Heres a link to the video we made. https://youtu.be/pZl81FayLkk

Loved hearing the rushing creek- easy trail. But tip is once you start at the parking lot, take the first little left (before the wood foot bridge). This will keep you on the AllTrails marked trail, closer to the creek and in more shade. The wider path on the outer circumference is more trafficked but it was a little too hot for our dog even though we took water.

Fun for kids, liked the creek. And we saw many woodpeckers.

nice trail overall, not very well marked

great trail. only a little bit of an incline towards the end of the trail. we took ome path there that was pretty rocky on the ground most of the way but flat. some muddy areas but easy to get around. we took our 2 dogs and crossed across the creek at the end of the path since the closest bridge is out. then we took the path around that same side without crossing the water again, on the way back and that way route was our favorite. less rocky paths, some areas were narrow but still shaded and very peaceful vibes. we will definitely be doing this loop often. just please pick up dog poop if you bring your dogs. most people do , but there is always that one person that ruins it for everyone... dont be that person! lol

Easy trail that is well traveled. Walkers, Joggers, Bike Cyclists and their canine companions were all getting their exercise on.

All in all awesome hike. Alternatively to other hikes in the area there is GREEN! Kinda muddy in spots, lots of ducks, lots of woodpeckers and a decent amount of people walking running and biking at the end of January. Def should check out. The goats at the farm house were a perfect end to the trail :)

Set out to do this trail with 3 adults, a 6yo and 2 elderly dogs. It was definitely very muddy in spots and we had to ford one creek. The trails were not well marked so I used my phone to navigate close to a 3 mile loop (close to 1 hour). We definitely would have been lost had I not been navigating with my phone, so I’m glad it was fully charged when we started. We all had a lot of fun though and it was really pretty! The weather was great and it wasn’t too crowded for a Sunday afternoon!

Nice hike, great for dogs!

closed

Nice hike. Lots of shade. Flat pretty much the entire way. The creek adds a nice touch. Unfortunately, some of the trail was closed, so we did a few u turns and detours to find the marked trail. Not sure how long maintenance will be going on, but keep it in mind.

It’s a really easy hike but the review about it being confusing was spot on. There were multiple splits in the trail and there were no signs. I watched multiple bikers get confused and have to turn around. Luckily I used my All Trails map to help me out. Some paths are really narrow to the point that you have to step off path to let runners or bikers pass so it’s not the best if you have a crazy dog. There’s PLENTY of shade. So much shade that there were so many spiders.

Sat Apr 27 2019

Flat, great for kids! I took my two girls 7&9 and it was a 5miles walk total from parking lot to waterfall and back. Total time was a little over 2hours . Waterfall/creek at the end that kids can enjoy.

Mon Apr 15 2019

The trail was great, however I felt there was a lack of signage for what trail was what. My 3.2 mile run turned into a 6 mile out and back. BUT the waterfall made it all worth it :)

Fri Apr 05 2019

Trail from softball parks was confusing. There were many unused trails that had dead ends. but still added onto the distance. Over all good trail from there. The short cuts though nature were awesome. Me and my pup will be back!

Mon Mar 25 2019

This is a kid and dog friendly trail (although dog owners tend to ignore the leash law). If you do the parallel trail by the creek it is beautiful and very shady.

bridge out