Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Rancho Palos Verdes Coastal Trail

Rancho Palos Verdes Coastal Trail is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Rancho Palos Verdes, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Over 5 miles worth of scenic ocean trails lined with coastal sage, cacti and native vegetation. This area has interesting television history. In 1996, MTV used surrounding areas of the peninsula to film the MTV Beach House. In addition, FOX filmed scenes from the hit show The O.C in the surrounding area and many of the Disney films - Pirates of the Caribbean were photographed right on this coast.

Beautiful, scenic hike.

The trail was pretty good just that there was cactus that was overgrown but besides that and having to watch out for rattlesnakes it is a nice hike I definitely recommend this trail.

Beautiful ocean views from the cliffs. Easy to moderate hiking. Small paths wander thru wild flowers and then you can cross the rocky beach, past a small waterfall and pickup the trail again on the other side.

Hiked this trail with my dogs. Beautiful views! Toward the easternmost loop, we got kind of lost off trail. There was a small walkway, which is where we turned, but the walkway quickly became very overgrown.

I did a subset of this today with my dog. It was a great half afternoon hike. Starting at the trails lot near the main building I went down the first beach trail to the right. It was a little muddy in places but easy to get by. Then we continued along the beach to the 2nd trail back to the main path along the Bluffs. We went past where the paved path runs inland to the secondary lot onto the trail to the beach descent. This is a somewhat difficult trail with a few out sorts trail guards (which I hope are never repaired), but leads to a positively fantastic rocky beach. My dog absolutely loved the fine, ground tidal structure of the beach and did the zoomies up and down the fine pebbles for 10 minutes. I've never seen him have so much fun at a beach (except maybe the first of the afternoon where he barked incessantly at a dead seagull). From there, we retraced back up the cliff then back to the main building and our car. I will definitely do this trail again.

This is a trail along the Trump National Golf Course. The trails along the top of the bluff are well maintained. Some of the trails down to the beach are a little narrow in places. The northern beach is good, but the others are rocky. There is one short section at the southern and eastern segment (adjacent to the Gnatcatcher Picnic Table) that is at least Moderate+. It's washed out, steep and edged with a lot of Beaver Tail cactus. It was challenging with my 7 month old Lab puppy. I do portions of this trail once per week with my dog and finally decided to do the entire trail on one day. The trail is oddly laid out, but has a good mix of easy/challenging parts (west easier; east and away from the coast more challenging). Being able to stop at the golf course outdoor grill for lunch is a real plus, and they serve water to dogs if you ask. Heavily trafficked, particularly on the western side.

Loved this trail. Scenic rout along the beach and there are so many option of trails to explore.

Trails in Trump golfcourse. Beautiful views down by rock beaches. Waves crashing, multiple trails.

Great hike good mix of easy and hard course depending on the routes you take

If your looking for a scenic yet relaxing hike, then this is the place to go. I went with a friend and we enjoyed it very much . Nearby parking is at Trumps golf course (it's small lot, but hopefully you can find a spot)

Beautiful place to walk/hike along the ocean! You turn on Trump Nat’l Drive into golf course then hang a left, there’s free parking/no time limit but the lot isn’t huge. There are picnic tables off the greens to chill. You can do the main easy trail (some parts paved) with ocean views or hike one-off steeper trails to the beaches. I hadn’t hiked in years and I was fine with all. Says “No Animals” on beaches (probably just for safety, it’s all rocks) so use your judgement :) I will be going back!

It was a bit confusing trying to find where to begin the hike but just walk through the golf course and signs will lead you to the trail. Keep going along the rocks and the trail will continue. I ended up just going along the beach (rocky and sandy) bring sunscreen, a camelback, a sheet to lay on the beach if you want to take a break and enjoy the scenery. Loved it because there was not a lot of people at all and I came on a Sunday afternoon.

perfect challenges climbing over rocks for the young kids

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Gorgeous seashore landscape and few people actually. Almost all the way exposed to sun. No outlet on the east side, you have to get back the same route becuz of private property

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Great trail, beautiful area. I prefer doing the trips down to the beach on the way in (get them done). On a hotter day this is a great trail to do, great ocean breezes. Unfortunately I accidentally turned my recorder off for 23 minutes so didn't record over a mile of my hike, bummer, at least my fitbit was recording.

Monday, April 02, 2018

memorys of childhood all over this place my father who always brought us here even spend the night once super cold but amazing experience glad I had the opportunity to leave my mark and footprints all over this beautiful beach♡ and gorgeous sunsets for in love with this place and thankful to my father who made it happen

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Very nice scenic trail with options for the whole family. We saw several dolphins near the shore along with rabbits lizards and birds. Easy to medium level trail great for sunrises or sunsets

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

beautiful hike overlooking coast and tide pools, was disappointed to see that all the pathways down to the coast said "no animals" I was . looking forward to walking my dog on the beach, maybe next time I'll just do it because it was empty. aside from that we enjoyed a much shorter hike along the 2 to 3 miles that we could take our dog.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Beautiful trails, going down to the beach and back up gives you a good workout, and there are several different places to do this at. I really like that there is a good dirt path next to the paved.

Friday, February 02, 2018

Dog-Owners! The main trail here is mostly fine, but some of the side loops off the main trail have cactus lining pretty narrow pathways. Some of the cactus overflows. Mostly observed on the adjacent loops heading up and east, not the side loops heading west to the water. Side note - Dear Admin, If this trail is owned and run by the Palos Verde conservatory, can we change the name on here? Thank you!

Monday, January 22, 2018

best hike its my fave we go twice a week..so many ways to hike easy trails tough trails dwn to the ocean trail benchs over looking the ocean to have lunch on..

Monday, January 15, 2018

Amazingly scenic. In fact you need to be careful to watch where you are going you don’t run off the edge of the trail and off a cliff. Lots of hills so it is quite a good workout Especially if you take The switchback trails down to the beach and back.

Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Beautiful views and great versatility.

Monday, December 11, 2017

Great place. Only draw back no shade. None. Bring a hat and water. Windy too so lip balm would be great too. Beautiful ocean views and some inclines. Especially if you go down to the tide pools. I went on a Sunday and the parking was full when I left. Lot of dogs and most were following the rules and had them leashed. Watch out for bikes. I did not know they allowed them.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Amazing views. Not much of cardio. If you want more workout take couple of to the beach and back sub trails.