Ramona Trail

Ramona Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Mountain Center, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Mountain Center, CA: Travel south on Highway 74; the trailhead sign is located about 3.5 miles south of Lake Hemet.

not easy..... but great views and trail. I would definitely rate as moderate to hard...hard on a hot day.......

I would rate this hike as a moderate hike. The climb up can be steep at times. Full sun at times. I recommend this hike on a cool day. The views are worth the hike for sure. I just want the rating to be moderate.

This is the most beautiful hike...I would not say it is Easy...more like a firm Moderate.

My grandson and his dog did this hike planning to spend the night. When we got to Tools Springs the threads on the faucet handle are stripped the water is leaking out the side of the pipe. so we got water. last night got cold we had a light weight tent and sleeping bags. My 11 year old grandson went right to sleep. Took me awhile. we were the only ones up there. trip was well worth it. my pack weighed 25 lbs my grandsons pack weighed 15 lbs. as we weighed before we left. the packs held us back some. made lots of rest stops. took us 3 hours to get up there. trail flowers, manzanita, scrub oaks and pines made for a trip well worth it. in my opinion its strenuous if you are carrying a pack.

Nice trail. The stated mileage is basically to the ridge, but the views from Mt. Thomas are pretty amazing, but require at 11.5 mile round trip jaunt. We did this in snowy conditions and the trail was easy. Snow got up to our ankles at times, but wasn't too bad or slippery. Things were unclear at the top due to the snow, but we scouted our way to road where 8 out of 10 people then went to the top. A friend and I used our maps and walked up the ridge to the top beating the rest by about 5 minutes. Hurrah! Moreover it gave us more views from the ridge which are amazing as Mt. Thomas has much more prominence than one would expect for such a small peak. The campsites were under snow, but I think it'd be great to come back here in spring/fall for camping.

Great for the whole family. Went hiking in the snow with the entire family and it was easy for the kids.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

back packed from ramona Trailhead to toolbox springs campground with a 45 pound pack....I wouldn't say this is an easy trail...moderately hard..all uphill to the camp...the trek out will be a breeze...beautiful area the spring is just a trickle. .but it's running..I thought with all this drought it would be dry...nice surprise

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Very rocky at first so it's a tough ride - expect to walk your bike for a while.
Views are very nice and not a lot of people so it makes for a good feeling of escape.
Recommended but not best for getting your bike rhythm.

Monday, June 06, 2016

Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Ramona trail can be made longer (if hiking from mountain center on hwy 74; up the mountain) as there will be a fork in the trail at the very end which takes you through a campground and eventually to the highest point on the ridge for the best views of San jacinto. This ends up making the hike about 13.5mi. This hike tends to be slightly boring for the first 2 miles but then opens up into some larger pines. Be sure to check out the massive pine cones if you get a chance.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

one of my favorite hikes! the top is so gorgeous. love the pines and the little picnic tables at the the toolbox spring campground. a strenuous hike for an out of shape person like me, but probably moderate for regular hikers.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Very nice trail and great views. Tool Box Springs campground at top with tables and restrooms. Enjoyed it very much.

Monday, January 04, 2016

Tough hike with little shade in the summer.. The spring itself is a bit of a let down considering. Nevertheless, the views and terrain are beautiful. Similar to cedar springs trail in terms of difficulty. I'll be going in the winter time next since I'd rather deal with snow than heat.