Ramona Trail is a 12.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Center, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.2 km Elevation Gain: 480 m Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Mountain Center, CA: Travel south on Highway 74; the trailhead sign is located about 3.5 miles south of Lake Hemet.

I haven’t been hiking in a few years and this trail is very close to home so we thought we would give it a try. Parking is very easy and convenient. Trail head is about .15 from parking lot. Feels like a lot of climbing the first 2 miles and there isn’t a lot of shade so go early if it’s expected to be warm. At about 2.5 miles up the bugs are horrendous, although I think that’s expected for mountain trails. My husband and son got bit up quite a bit (will bring bug repellent/spray next time) The views are fantastic as you are climbing and it’s so cool to see and feel the changing of the environment. It’s pretty rocky until you get into the trees, more of a struggle coming down with the rocks then going up. The peak isn’t properly marked or maybe we just never reached it. We stopped climbing at 3.6 miles, there was some people camping at a site that I don’t think was intended for campers and they were out shooting guns so we decided to turn around and go back at that point. I wish there was more of a vista at the top, kinda gives a sense of accomplishment when you have a great view. Overall we loved the hike. Took us 2 hours to get up and 1 hour to get down. Total miles logged was 7.6, it was a great challenge and a great way to reinvigorate our hiking love.

Headed up there today. Left the car at 8:30 and was back at the car by 2pm. I stayed on top at Tool Box Springs for about an hour eating lunch and taking a quick nap. It was nice and breezy once you get up to the upper elevations near the pines. Down below it was pretty much a hot slog up a rocky trail that seemed to switchback forever. The grading was pretty good as there were no really tough sections and the manzanita was cut back away from the trail most of the time. I hiked it in sandals which made it a little tougher but still had no real issues. Like the previous reviewer the spring white pvc pipe was flowing really good near the top and I used it to refill my water bottles on the way down. I used my BeFree filter so it was a breeze. Only saw a few people on the trail today so it was nice. It was 82 degrees at 2pm back at the car and I got a bit sunburned. I would start the hike up earlier than I did and hang out in Toolbox Springs if you've got the time. Head down once it starts to cool off. You can't get lost here so I'd even consider coming back down after dinner. It only took about 2 1/4 hours to get down and I stopped alot for photos. Also, no permit or adventure pass needed for this hike. Be sure to stop by the Paradise Valley Cafe for a great burger after your hike.

Nice and gradual uphill to a campground at the top with bathrooms. Pipe creek was running along the way, mostly sunny but nice shady spots of pine and oak grove along the way to take breaks out. Very nice day hike.

Feels like you’re walking past the same thing over and over until you reach the pine trees. Found myself swatting away at mosquitos and other bugs the whole time.

We really enjoyed this hike. Great views along the way, nice scenery, great trail. I would imagine it would be miserable if it was hot because there is little to no shade most of the way. I would hike it again :)

flooded

Cool hike, changed in Terrain about every mile or so. A nice walk uphill, you end at the toolbox Spring Campground, Then turned around to walk down.... 3.8 miles down( what is recorded) Took A lot longer to get up then it did to get down. We went mid April and there was still snow on the top of the mountain, but we were still able to make our way. Recommend wearing boots. Accurately rated moderate.

Wed Jan 23 2019

Beautiful trail, easy to moderate climb to Tool Box Canyon Campground. Sweeping views of San Jacinto Wilderness Mountains and Garner Valley. Bring back some trash if you can.

Sat Jan 19 2019

This is a great hike! Currently snow at the top. We were able to get through fine with just boots on

Fri Jan 11 2019

Moderate is the perfect description for this hike. Really cool hike. Previous rain and snow fall from last week made the hike a little slower. Exposed rocks and gravel. Trying to safely walk over ice was sketchy but cool! Beautiful views and the serene. Only met 1 couple the entire day! Perfect So Cal hike!

Sat Nov 17 2018

Description is wrong at 5.7 miles and it's actually 7 miles round trip. Nice views the first 1/4 of the trail. We were there in mid-november and started around noon and the temperature was 60 degrees. Got cold on the way down. It was shady most of the hike. You get into some tall pines near the top. Not too strenuous. Once you get to the Toolbox Springs Campground head to left for views of the mountains. We went up to the right and on the way back down I realized we should have gone to a different hill.

Thu Oct 18 2018

Great trail to hike, reminds me of the High Sierras. Beautiful pines at the top. Everyone in our group determined it to be more of a Moderate hike, and more like 3 1/2 miles each way. 7 total.

Tue Sep 18 2018

Hiked this trail into Tool Box Spring campground. Awesome weather and great views of Garner Valley going up and down. Like others said, a bit anticlimactic in terms of views at the top, but still a fun trail all around. I would consider this trail moderate.

Mon Sep 03 2018

This trail was fun and a pretty good challenge. I'm an avid hiker, but I would definitely not classify this trail as "easy". Definitely more "moderate" as it has a gradual (and at some points steep) incline all the way to the top. Also, it's about 200 yards from the parking lot to the start of the trail, and then the actual trail is 7 miles round trip. About 2/3 of the hike in it becomes shaded, but even in the sun the hike was enjoyable. We hiked it in 85 degree weather and encountered only 3 other people. The top of the hike is a bit anti-climatic and doesn't have a great view, but there are great views throughout the hike. Would highly recommend this hike.

Fri Jun 08 2018

Finally finished this trail after hiking it twice (time constraints) beautiful hike and well worth getting to the picnic and camping areas at the top. BEAUTIFUL change of scenery as you progress through this trail.

Tue Jun 05 2018

Not an easy trail. Trail is well maintained. Bring lots of water on a hot day. Great view. Flannel bush in bloom, beautiful!

Wed May 02 2018

Great hike but I would rate as moderate! Fantastic views. Next time I hope to have more time to explore once at the top, it's so pretty.

Sun Apr 08 2018

Great trail for beginners. Was my first hike and although I didn’t finish, I was quick to go back and try again. Plenty of great views throughout the trail. A bit rocky in areas but otherwise safe for kids. Will return

Tue Mar 20 2018

Not a easy trail and I’m a novice. Moderate for sure. Trail gets rocky and narrow at times. Beautiful views. 2.5 hrs to top and I’m in shape. Take water and snacks. Worth the hike.

Wed Jun 28 2017

not easy..... but great views and trail. I would definitely rate as moderate to hard...hard on a hot day.......

Tue Jun 13 2017

I would rate this hike as a moderate hike. The climb up can be steep at times. Full sun at times. I recommend this hike on a cool day. The views are worth the hike for sure. I just want the rating to be moderate.

Mon Jun 12 2017

This is the most beautiful hike...I would not say it is Easy...more like a firm Moderate.

Sun May 14 2017

My grandson and his dog did this hike planning to spend the night. When we got to Tools Springs the threads on the faucet handle are stripped the water is leaking out the side of the pipe. so we got water. last night got cold we had a light weight tent and sleeping bags. My 11 year old grandson went right to sleep. Took me awhile. we were the only ones up there. trip was well worth it. my pack weighed 25 lbs my grandsons pack weighed 15 lbs. as we weighed before we left. the packs held us back some. made lots of rest stops. took us 3 hours to get up there. trail flowers, manzanita, scrub oaks and pines made for a trip well worth it. in my opinion its strenuous if you are carrying a pack.

Mon Feb 06 2017

Nice trail. The stated mileage is basically to the ridge, but the views from Mt. Thomas are pretty amazing, but require at 11.5 mile round trip jaunt. We did this in snowy conditions and the trail was easy. Snow got up to our ankles at times, but wasn't too bad or slippery. Things were unclear at the top due to the snow, but we scouted our way to road where 8 out of 10 people then went to the top. A friend and I used our maps and walked up the ridge to the top beating the rest by about 5 minutes. Hurrah! Moreover it gave us more views from the ridge which are amazing as Mt. Thomas has much more prominence than one would expect for such a small peak. The campsites were under snow, but I think it'd be great to come back here in spring/fall for camping.

Thu Feb 02 2017

Great for the whole family. Went hiking in the snow with the entire family and it was easy for the kids.