Ramona Grasslands Preserve Trail

Ramona Grasslands Preserve Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ramona, California. The trail is good for all skill levels offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I appreciated all the previous comments from people. I’m here in Ramona visiting my mother. I’m from Minnesota. I love this area and was interested in walking places I haven’t been to yet. Today was a wonderful day for a walk and this trail was just perfect. I loved the wildflowers peeking out along the trail. There was decent bird watching too. I found a nice place to sit in the shade near the end of my walk. I just had to watch out for the cow pies! If you are enjoying this trail on the weekend there is a winery nearby that would make a good place to refresh. Unfortunately it wasn’t open today. I hope to be back again!

Great hike to take the dogs!

I’m new to hiking and so far this is my favorite spot

I’m a newbie and I loved this hike! It’s beautiful and interesting. So much to see, great views. The vernal pools were cool. Mostly easy but there are some pretty good hills a couple of miles in that surprised me, but the dog and I made it. There isn’t much shade so definitely an early morning hike. Pick a breezy day, it helps!

beginners level, great hike to get the blood going! dogs ok if they're on a leash. I wouldn't recommend strollers of any kind because parts of the trail would be difficult due to the railroad ties every few steps and loose sand.

First Time here. Trail riding horses.
People were great. Walkers & dogs on trail. Everyone so polite & curious with their dogs. Horses were very relaxed the whole ride.
The weather was perfect. A little cool at start. A little windy but bright & sunny. About 65° Out.

Very beautiful area but definitely a morning hike! Even at the end of November, it was incredibly hot as we approached 10 am. (85F) Very little shade given it's grassland, but just enough to keep us comfortable. The pups enjoyed themselves. Would not bring unstable dogs as we saw coyotes right off the path. Horses and cows were also present. Overall, glad we went but won't be coming again. Too many trails to see, not enough time!

This hike is not that easy!! I took my overweight friend with me thinking it would be an “easy” 3 miles for her, as we walk a lot together , but over 60% of this hike is on varying degrees of uphill grades, which made this hike VERY challenging for her. We had to rest about 20x on the 2nd half of the hike so she could catch her breath. Add in that there is nowhere to sit-down and zero shade at all on the majority of this hike and I got to say it was beyond challenging for her. It is gorgeous out there and there are very few people on the trail which is a welcomed relief!! My only complaint about this is that it’s rated easy, and the 3 plus mile loop I would consider intermediate!

Great trail, lightly traveled.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

pretty trail! just enough variation that it wasn't flat. occasional shade.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

easy hike and beautiful views!

Thursday, March 09, 2017

loved the trails :) it's a nice hike

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

I love how this place changes throughout the year and the new adventures it brings. When there's water, there are tadpoles. There are big rocks to climb under lots of shade for a break. It's fun when the cows are grazing. We have also seen coyotes and road runners.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Great, loved it. Was quiet and not crowded.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Great hike. Very family and dog friendly. Awesome views

Friday, June 03, 2016

Nice trail for an after work walk/hike/horseback ride. Not strenuous, but there is barely shade, bring water for you and the dogs. There are cows grazing and you could easily come across some, while putzing along the trail.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

pretty and uncrowded

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Just a nice leisurely trail

Saturday, February 14, 2015

This is not so much a hike but a beautiful, flat trail that my entire family (young to teenage kids) enjoys. There is an option for a much shorter loop that is nice as well (especially on hot days, as there is not a lot of shade). Great for dogs that are not afraid of horses, as there are always many on the trails.