Ramage Peak Trail

Ramage Peak Trail is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near San Ramon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The first thing you'll want to know before starting is that the Rampage Peak Trail is in the EBMUD watershed. If you don't have an EBMUD trail permit, then go onto the website, pay $10 and print one out. The permit is good for a year. Also, no dogs or bikes are allowed in the EBMUD watershed. If you want to do those activities, there are plenty of other options in the Las Trampas Wilderness that can accommodate you. There isn't much shade and it is rather strenuous with two significant elevation gains and descents.

I think I'm the first person on All Trails to actually follow the track, which is understandable because you would have to hop a few locked gates the way the track takes you. I suggested an edit to direct hikers to the correct entrance to the watershed that is not locked. If you look at my track, I took the correct path on my way back. Also, once I entered the watershed, I didn't encounter another person until I came back out. You are really off the beaten path out here.

I picked a foggy, cool morning to do the hike. I wouldn't suggest doing it on a hot summer day because there isn't much shade and it is rather strenuous with two significant elevation gains and descents.

I was a little confused when I came across a sign close to the end of Rampage Peak Trail that said "fire road closed to the public" because on the ebparks.org trail map it suggests that it connects to Chabot. There is a fork in the road at the sign with a marker pointing to go right, although it isn't very clear where it goes. I think if you can continue south you will connect to the Chabot to Garin portion of the Bay Area Ridge Trail, but the path doesn't appear to be well marked and it doesn't show anything on the All Trails map layer.

Edit - After hiking the Chabot to Garin trail, I discovered that Rampage Peak trail can also be accessed from the Chabot Staging area on Redwood Road. It looks like it's about an 8 mile hike from Chabot to Las Trampas via Rampage Peak Trail.

Sunday, July 10, 2016