Ragged Point Fire Road Trail

Ragged Point Fire Road Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ragged Point, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This uphill hike is all about the views and changing terrain since there are no redwood groves or rushing streams. You'll get a good workout on a well maintained fire road where the views get better all the way to the top. This uphill hike is all about the views and changing terrain since there are no redwood groves or rushing streams. You'll get a good workout on a well maintained fire road where the views get better all the way to the top. You can turn back whenever you want to, but it is recommended going until the T intersection, where the fire road turns sharply left and another road/trail branches south, connecting up with several campsites. At this spot, you'll get a nice view of the mountains on the other side of the hill you've been climbing - a rewarding destination.

Good

Steeper than you think

I did this hike in late December. I started from the sea doing the hike at Ragged point inn and then continued across the road to start this hike. My legs were burning!!! At the top (where this all trails map ends), if you turn to the right and then hike straight and then after 200 yards veer off into the fields towards the right (there is a faint path you can follow), you are rewarded with a view all the way to the lighthouse and beyond!! Look for a dead tree at the top of the hill. An older gentleman told me about this when I thought I wouldn't even make it to the top. He inspired me to keep pushing and I was so grateful that I did!!

Fun trail. Made the mistake of thinking my novice mountain biking self could climb it on my bike. Didn't happen! pushed the bike up and enjoyed the ride down.

This is one of my favorite trails in the area. Went on a clear sunny day, low 70s. The sweeping views of the ocean were breathtaking. You get to take it in for most of the trail. It’s a steady incline all the way to the top. Enjoyed the changing landscapes from open trail to some shaded sections. Almost turned around at the last main ocean vantage point going up to the top...but so glad I didn’t! Some beautiful old trees near the end. Then you’re rewarded with a sweeping view of the mountain range facing opposite the ocean.

Beautiful fire road trail. The ragged point inn recommended this trail. Once you get to the top, you can go right or left. We chose to go left but didn't get to the end of the trail. Highly recommend!

Sunday, May 07, 2017

beatiful! Brutal the whole way up as should be, and just amazing on top! Meadows for days and beatiful beatiful wild flowers! did it twice last week!

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Did this hike today. Only once we got to top we headed north along the ridge and came down the old county line fire road (unmaintained) but totally doable. Came out on highway one which is still closed and walked back to Ragged Point where we dropped off car. 10 miles total round trip. So worth it. Tons of wildflowers going off right now. So amazing. The views outstanding. Like all Big Sur hikes it's straight up and straight down.

Friday, August 30, 2013

A nice hike into the hills. Good views without getting too strenuous, and the option to stop at the Ragged Point for ice cream and the coastal view afterwards! Nice, unpopulated trail.